Utopia (US)

Discuss TV shows old and new.

colinr0380

Re: TV of 2014

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:16 am

I'm curious how they're going to transfer over and tackle the notorious scene from the original UK series of Utopia. That's probably something you need HBO for!

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#3 Post by Anhedionisiac » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:26 pm

colinr0380 wrote:I'm curious how they're going to transfer over and tackle the notorious scene from the original UK series of Utopia. That's probably something you need HBO for!
Having just seen the whole two seasons, I wonder which notorious scene you mean. I presume it's either
SpoilerShow
The murder of the schoolchildren or the eye-gouging torture, right?
Personally, I'm far more curious as to how'll they adapt the color palette and cinematography choices. It's got a very distinctive eye-popping visual scheme that's like nothing in Fincher's repertoire.

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes, it's those scenes,
SpoilerShow
mostly the school shooting scene, I guess, which is why I made the HBO comment as they'd seem a natural fit due to Elephant!
I agree on your point Anhedionisiac - the whole series feels bright, angular and more comic book, for want of a better term. Even the 1974 flashback episode interestingly plays around with art design (and aspect ratios) to achieve a distinctively different look for an earlier era.