The Leftovers

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: The Leftovers

#26 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:20 pm

The direct line of pure unfettered emotion that has unwavered for the whole season (and perhaps, the entire show) so far feels like it was in some sense preparing you for last night's show. Amy Brenneman delivered on levels that were at times punctuated, a little mischevious, and just raw nerve sticking out. And not at the expense of other meaningful moments as well.

flyonthewall2983

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:45 am

The finale felt more like a comedown from the dizzying highs this season took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andre Jurieu

#28 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Thought it was a well-crafted finale that offered a very serene conclusion to a show that sometimes (especially early on) verged on erratic. Even though I'm not very religious, I really enjoyed that Nora's summary of her journey basically serves as another test of faith for everyone involved, including the audience.

Also, here's a brief Damon Lindelof interview that covers his thoughts and intentions regarding the series finale.

Roger Ryan

#29 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:26 am

I was pleased with how this final episode concluded the series as it offered an intriguing "explanation" of the supernatural event (one that, frankly, I hadn't considered) while allowing the veracity of the explanation to be left up to the viewer. My biggest fear was that the second half of the episode was going to be upended with an "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" reveal. As it is, I think it was a mistake to provide a glimpse of the final sequence at the end of the first episode of this season; the impact of the sudden jump in time was lessened because I was anticipating it.

Murdoch

#30 Post by Murdoch » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:50 pm

SpoilerShow
One theory floating around is that Nora's quest to the other side, so to speak, was much like Kevin's - a manifestation of the individual's mentality rather than an actual location they went to. Kevin's looks like a Bourne movie, Nora's is something far more downplayed and personal. I like the idea that these travels of the characters aren't so much where dead characters went or where the departed went, but Kevin and Nora's psyches' desperate attempts to understand the incomprehensible. The show never offered explanations and I don't see Nora's journey to provide any clarity. Her tracking of the scientist who built the machine seems like Kevin's ridiculous presidential assassination plot (which was the high point of the series for me).