Tutti Frutti

Discuss TV shows old and new.
tojoed

Tutti Frutti

#1 Post by tojoed » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:46 am

After what seems a lifetime of waiting, the BBC are finally releasing Tutti Frutti on DVD on 15th June. Great news.

Dr Amicus

Re: TV on DVD

#2 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:22 am

tojoed wrote:After what seems a lifetime of waiting, the BBC are finally releasing Tutti Frutti on DVD on 15th June. Great news.
Oh dear God YES!!

The reasons given (or at least those I've heard) for why this has never been released or (AFAIK) repeated are:
1) Music rights were too expensive
2) The BBC had lost it (or at least the Masters)
3) Emma Thompson hates it.

I have no idea why (3) might be the case - it was a fantastic series and I seem to remember that our Em was fine. Really - this is one of the best British TV series of the 80s.

Yojimbo

#3 Post by Yojimbo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

tojoed wrote:After what seems a lifetime of waiting, the BBC are finally releasing Tutti Frutti on DVD on 15th June. Great news.
I've never actually seen this series but I loved his later series, 'Your Cheatin' Heart', which is supposed to be inferior.

Which reminds me, I must check out is the wonderful tv adaptation of Kingsley Amis' 'The Old Devils' on DVD.
(I had it on tape, but then one of the tapes got damaged)

tojoed

#4 Post by tojoed » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Yojimbo wrote:I've never actually seen this series but ...
... Then you are in for a treat. I completely agree with the Doc, really one of the great TV series. Of course, I haven't seen it in twenty years, so I hope my memory isn't playing me false.
I can't imagine why Emma Thompson doesn't like it, she was great in it, as were Robbie Coltrane and Richard (.. take a warning, Miss Toner) Wilson.