Saturday Night Live

Discuss TV shows old and new.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Saturday Night Live

#201 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:27 pm

I think allegations against him were made public before this period, in which the Weinstein stuff was also coming out and the #MeToo stuff started in earnest, but he somehow got in front of it before it really caught fire.

The doc doesn't bury him at all really, but his contributions aren't mentioned on the same level as the Steves or Smigel. It is more mentioned in passing, but it's that moment where they bring up the Fallon incident that makes me think the filmmaker was taking a position without clearly stating it.

That said I liked it, I didn't quite realize that The Ambiguously Gay Duo and the Tom Brokaw-Gerald Ford skit were repurposed from the show onto SNL.

hearthesilence

#203 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:47 pm

The show's greatest cast member, IMHO - the only one who pretty much carried the show on his own.

flyonthewall2983

#204 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Undoubtedly, and more crucially he is the reason the show is still on the air.

black&huge

#205 Post by black&huge » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:24 pm

So now it is actually happening. Haven't been this excited so an SNL since the last time Chapelle hosted and that was not too great but hopefully they'll knock it out of the park here. I wonder if Murphy had a hand in most of the pitches that make it to air this weekend.

flyonthewall2983

#206 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:50 am

Well that was a treat. They got the most use out of him and in return you wouldn't think he missed a day of those 35 years he was gone.

Big Ben

#207 Post by Big Ben » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22 pm

This was one of the best shows SNL has had in years. Aside from the opening which didn't feature Murphy I thought everything he was in was incredibly amusing. More of this please.

Roscoe

#208 Post by Roscoe » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:54 pm

Buckwheat's medley had me as happy as I've been in a while, gotta admit.

Andre Jurieu

#209 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:56 pm

I'm likely one of the only people who found it to be kind of bland. It definitely had some moments that were amusing - including Murphy swearing on camera - but a lot of the content just seemed like repetition. Then again, I'm usually fairly skeptical when something leans heavily on nostalgia.

Roscoe

#210 Post by Roscoe » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:11 pm

I liked updating Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood to address gentrification a good deal -- more than mere nostalgia. On the other hand, they did nothing with Velvet Jones, who really should be supplying wives to Republican senators out of the basement of his own Church by now.

Murdoch

#211 Post by Murdoch » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:32 pm

It was pretty hit or miss for me outside of the baking segment. I thought the Chance the Rapper episode was the best of this season. These last few episodes before the midseason break have been okay, but the Will Ferrell episode was very underwhelming and the Murphy ep had too many callbacks for me.

flyonthewall2983

#212 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:11 pm
I liked updating Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood to address gentrification a good deal -- more than mere nostalgia. On the other hand, they did nothing with Velvet Jones, who really should be supplying wives to Republican senators out of the basement of his own Church by now.
I can see him refusing to do political humor. The Distinguished Gentleman wasn't a big hit.

The only thing I didn't laugh at much was the opening spoof of the debate. Update and the two skits (and one filmed bit) unrelated to Murphy's past characters were maybe the funniest for me. Update was pretty solid even without the guest appearance, and I love seeing Che and Jost and telling the jokes the other one wrote. First time seeing Pete Davidson and I thought he was hilarious.

Andre Jurieu

#213 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:11 pm

I'm always impressed with how willing Jost is to make himself the target of the comedy during Update. The flipped jokes between Jost and Che are always pretty good (the cue-card joke was solid), and Davidson (or, previously, Leslie Jones) usually has a few jokes directed to him, but in this episode Jost also decided it would be great if he got puked on.

Black Hat

#214 Post by Black Hat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:10 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:41 pm
Roscoe wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:11 pm
I can see him refusing to do political humor. The Distinguished Gentleman wasn't a big hit.

The only thing I didn't laugh at much was the opening spoof of the debate.
Does anybody think this stuff is funny? It's so overdone to the point where it's become a parody of a parody. To say nothing of wasting 10 minutes of Eddie Murphy time on this crap.

Andre Jurieu wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:11 pm
I'm always impressed with how willing Jost is to make himself the target of the comedy during Update. The flipped jokes between Jost and Che are always pretty good (the cue-card joke was solid), and Davidson (or, previously, Leslie Jones) usually has a few jokes directed to him, but in this episode Jost also decided it would be great if he got puked on.
Completely agree. Jost seems to be someone who 'gets it'.

flyonthewall2983

#215 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:52 pm

The woman who was Jeanine Pirro on Update was hilarious. They should shift more towards spoofing the cable news drones, and not just the ones on Fox either.