American Dad

Discuss TV shows old and new.
The Narrator Returns

American Dad

#1 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun May 06, 2012 10:18 pm

As someone who isn't a Seth MacFarlane fan (he's completely insufferable and I don't like Family Guy very much), I can say that this is one of my favorite shows. Many wrote it off after the first few episodes as a Family Guy rip-off with more political humor, and they didn't get to see it grow into one of the funniest and most warped shows on TV. For anyone on the site who did write it off, I recommend watching Bullocks to Stan, which is the first great episode of the show. Plus, it has Patrick Stewart singing Oingo Boingo's "Little Girls," in case you need any more convincing.

As for tonight's episode, "Ricky Spanish," I felt it was the show at its best. Lots of Roger, an appearance by the always-hilarious Stewart, and a great cameo by Werner Herzog.

colinr0380

Re: American Dad

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 am

My favourite moment out of many in the series has to be that musical number explaining the Iran-Contra scandal!

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#3 Post by lacritfan » Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:As for tonight's episode, "Ricky Spanish," I felt it was the show at its best. Lots of Roger, an appearance by the always-hilarious Stewart, and a great cameo by Werner Herzog.
Herzog voiceover wrote:Two beautiful creatures trapped in a prison of another's design, like a madman lost in a supermarket. One is freed, while the other dies alone in a glass tomb which used to contain farts. Perhaps it is fitting, for what was the butterfly other than a symbol of the boy's innocence that perished days before, killed by the very soul it tried to save...

The Narrator Returns

#4 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun May 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Tonight's episode, "Toy Whorey," it was a slight step down from "Ricky Spanish," but it was a nice end to the season. And with the show renewed until 2014, we can only anticipate the further adventures of the Smiths.
Pedro the cockroach wrote:Bye! Have a beautiful time!

The Narrator Returns

#5 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Tonight's season premiere "Love, AD Style," is a slightly weaker episode, but it's saved by going off the deep end. Roger's crush on Hayley isn't all that interesting until he randomly shoots her, and then abducts her and tries to skin her. And Stan trying to sell his SUV wasn't that funny until Stan's demonstration goes horribly wrong, and a lion eats a model while they're both on fire.

Of course, neither of these images compare to Roger wearing Hayley's husband Jeff's skin, and him giving Roger a bloody thumbs-up from a blood-soaked bathtub.

The Narrator Returns

#6 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 pm

All I have to do to sell this episode is say that there's a Jon Hamm cameo. And he shows up to deliver a fake-PSA about looking the other way (for It's Not Worth It!). And Steve gets to sing "Cool it Now."

The Narrator Returns

#7 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 am

Tonight's American Dad Christmas episode has been removed from the schedule due to possible sensitivity regarding the recent Connecticut shooting (no surprise, considering it's about the demon Krampus who punishes naughty children around Christmastime). "Wheels and the Legman and the Case of Grandpa's Key" will be shown instead.

flyonthewall2983

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:16 am

DVD exclusive episode, here it comes! Tonight's Family Guy has been removed as well.

The Narrator Returns

#9 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:08 pm

In case you needed proof of the show's demented genius, tonight's American Dad was a parody of August: Osage County, and was done completely as a stage play, right up to having an audience applaud at act breaks (not to mention a guy annoyingly walking right in front of you as the cast takes a bow). It was hosted by a beautifully deadpan Patrick Stewart ("You thought I was sleeping, didn't you? Acting."), and it features Stewart (as Stan's boss Avery) seducing Roger in a maid's outfit. Plus, it has a stirring recitation of Homer's "The Swimming Pool."

knives

#10 Post by knives » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 pm

bamwc2

#11 Post by bamwc2 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:44 pm

I just caught yesterday's episode on Hulu. Phenomenal. I can't get the summoner's song out of my head now, and I don't think that I want to.

knives

#12 Post by knives » Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah, Wax Fang are (is?) amazing and it's nice to see them get some mainstream recognition.

bamwc2

#13 Post by bamwc2 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 am

knives wrote:Yeah, Wax Fang are (is?) amazing and it's nice to see them get some mainstream recognition.
I've never heard of the band before your post. Thanks for coming up with that name. After doing a little bit of reading on the episode, it seems that the entire plot was built around their song "Majestic", and I'll be damned if it didn't work out beautifully. If there's any doubt that American Dad is one of the best shows on television, this episode should dispel it. I'm just glad that I gave it a second chance. I quit watching it after its painfully unfunny first few episodes, and only gave it a second chance last year.

The Narrator Returns

#14 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Rick Porter wrote:Huh. "American Dad" will have its final season on FOX this year and move to TBS in 2014. Details coming.

The Narrator Returns

#15 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Joe Adalian wrote:It may also explain why they passed on HAPPY ENDINGS. Dad is a much safer bet, and repeats incredibly well.

knives

#16 Post by knives » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Mixed emotions are good?