Portlandia

Discuss TV shows old and new.

Donald Brown

Re: Portlandia

#27 Post by Donald Brown » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:38 pm

It's better than I expected. Armisen, who has never impressed me, was pretty funny, and Carrie Brownstein shows she act even better than she can play guitar.

It's the kind of thing that might eventually grow tiresome after a while, so it being a 6-episode series should work.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Miniseries no longer: IFC has renewed this for a second season

LQ

#29 Post by LQ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:27 pm

The second season starts Jan. 6th.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#30 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 am

LQ

#31 Post by LQ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:49 am

Click my link, dear ;)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#32 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:22 pm

No

Kirkinson

#33 Post by Kirkinson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 pm

So did anyone else watch the season 2 premiere? I thought it was pretty good, just about on par with the first couple episodes of season 1. Andy Samberg was a great addition, and the very well-observed bro-speak etiquette he shared with Fred Armisen might actually have been my favorite part. The local non-celebrity extras casting was inspired, too (that air conditioner repair man was just perfect). And I concur with the AV Club review that overall they seemed to be doing a much better job of ending sketches. I don't know if this will ever be a "great" show, but this was a hopeful start for the new season after a dismal finish for the first one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:42 pm

I haven't caught last night's episode (it's not on Comcast On Demand yet), but otherwise this season is indeed much better than the first. I thought last week's episode with the running plot of being obsessed with watching the entire series of a TV show was particularly brilliant and relatable

Murdoch

#35 Post by Murdoch » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Edward Jame Olmos and the mix-up with the head writer were hilarious, I'm afraid I'll be one step away from Carrie and Fred when I start up the Wire.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Been watching Almost Live! clips on YouTube and it is abundantly clear that the show this show wants to be already happened, just for Seattle

Gregory

#38 Post by Gregory » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:13 pm

In Other Words, the inspiration and location for the Women and Women First bookstore, will probably be shutting down in about five months.. In addition to the predictable anti-feminist views in the comments section, there's some lecturing about how to run a bookstore (stock more Ayn Rand and Condi Rice! :roll: ) and how if a business isn't profitable enough to sustain itself then it deserves to go under. But what these people fail to understand is that the place is not really a bookstore and hasn't been one for years; it's a volunteer-run community center/meeting place for various groups, with a lending library and various items for sale that raise very little revenue. What they probably needed was a volunteer or two to focus on grantwriting and fundraising in the community. The place has been a longstanding resource for a whole array of different people and organizations, so this is pretty sad news.