Community

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Murdoch

Re: Community

#26 Post by Murdoch » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I thought it was a lot better, but I'm in the minority on the paintball ep.

Just came across this. Eerie how similar it is to my undergrad's webpage.

knives

#27 Post by knives » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:13 am

Annie's Boobs had help.

Cold Bishop

#28 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 am

You actually see the pen being snatched during the cold open. "Aw, I wanna lick it"

Mozart

#29 Post by Mozart » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:50 am

knives wrote:Annie's Boobs had help.

1. yeah definitely - in more than one sense.
2. cant see the monkey in the picture, though.

knives

#30 Post by knives » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:57 am

Look to the left and you'll see Chase can't breath.

Murdoch

#31 Post by Murdoch » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:54 pm

SpoilerShow
I was hoping the pen would be behind Annie's ear.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:36 pm

SpoilerShow
Also, I thought Britta's 1984 rant was brilliant and could be copy and pasted into the Tumblr and Facebook accounts of 2/3 of the people I know without anyone noticing

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#33 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Finally saw the paintball episode. I must say, it was streets ahead of any other episode of this series, which is becoming a more and more complimentary statement as I continue to watch. Excellent stuff. I'm 95% through with coming around completely on Community, ladies and gentlemen.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:52 pm

SpoilerShow
Would that this hoodie were a time hoodie
Okay, after the web shorts and tonight's episode, there needs to be an all Dean Pelton episode

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#35 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:59 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I'm 95% through with coming around completely on Community, ladies and gentlemen.
You're going to have to be 100% before we let you play on the trampoline.
SpoilerShow
And by 100%, I of course mean white.

Andre Jurieu

Get Out of My Brain

#36 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:31 pm

I thought last night's episode was AWESOME!... though, admittedly, I'm a sucker for any "M'Lady/M'Lord" episodes.

I really appreciate that they have slowly dealt with the fallout of last season's finale over the course of the fall, rather than simply artificially resolving it all at once using one episode, which I feared may have happened in the season premiere. Instead, they’re accurately depicting how groups of friends usually find a way to manage a conflict, sort of negotiating an understood treaty and pretending that everything is fine in order to sustain the comfortable and necessary dynamic, before the underlying issues and tensions slowly creep back to the surface over time. I'm impressed how observant the creators are when it comes to realistically portraying group dynamics within a show that somehow simultaneously manages to wholeheartedly embrace its absurdity.

... and Abed might be right about Cougar Town (and Troy about The Mentalist) .

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:25 pm

When Annie was rolling around on the floor, my first thought was "Well, I know what gif I'm going to see all over Tumblr tomorrow"

Mozart

#38 Post by Mozart » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:48 am

Nice effort, but IHMO the AnnieJeffBritta thing is now really comic. Or was it from the beginning?!?

btw: Has Annie become more femalish over the last weeks?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

And in true CF.org tradition, he's from Oklahoma too

#39 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Did you know...

Leonard was in Stalag 17?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#40 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Britta is my favorite female television character ever. Move over, Agent Scully and Liz Lemon

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:16 pm

I think she's become an incredibly complex and interesting character as the series has progressed, in that she's moved from what could have been a standard one-note love interest into this endlessly flawed character who actually is given genuine and glaring flaws (not small, easily overlookable defects, as per the norm) while remaining sympathetic and above all interesting. She's no Mary Sue, that's for damn sure, and really the complexity of her character and her flaws compound to make her all the more appealing-- but that might speak more as a character flaw on my part, haha.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#42 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:39 pm

No, I'm with you. And Gillian Jacobs' absolute lack of vanity and related penchant for amazing and bizarre facial expressions and physical comedy are just icing on the cake.

(or cream cheese on the bAgel)

Andre Jurieu

They're all feathery and pelicany and I wuv them

#43 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:06 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:And Gillian Jacobs' absolute lack of vanity...
I'm not sure I can remember an example of this, other than maybe having gum in her hair, which was kind of necessary for the plot. I'm fairly certain she's usually more glammed up than the other regular female characters on the show. I mean, she does wake up an hour early every morning to ever-so-slightly curl her hair (Gasp!).

I find the reaction to her character interesting, as the handful of girls that I know who regularly watch the show, find her incredibly annoying, yet there's definitely a devoted fanbase for Britta, at least based on internet episode re-cap comment sections. I enjoy her character, as she is fairly unique, though I find the show works better when she's not heavily involved in the A-plot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#44 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Lack of vanity as in she's often the butt of jokes at her expense, is shown as generally clueless (see the great Rowboat Cop joke a few weeks ago) and self-centered in an NPR Liberal kind of way. But you're right though, my female friends hate her and my response of "Well, we often react strongly against that which most closely resembles us" was not well-received.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#45 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:40 pm

The trampoline episode is the best in the series so far: It's just the perfect amount of crazy without being an over-the-top parody that strays from the show's core strengths (see: every prior Season 2 episode aside from the premiere). I love the B plot with Abed and the ladies, and am in awe of how much the direction nailed the Pushing Daisies style of cinematography for the trampoline scenes. Love it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:09 am

Which is just the vaseline lens from the Secret Garden, which it parodies

Andre Jurieu

#47 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:Lack of vanity as in she's often the butt of jokes at her expense, is shown as generally clueless (see the great Rowboat Cop joke a few weeks ago) and self-centered in an NPR Liberal kind of way.
Well, I think most female-leads on half-hour comedies eventually become the butt of jokes at their character's expense, and quite often it's centered around their general clueless and self-centered nature (I can think of a few examples from some fairly popular sitcoms from the 90s). The NPR-Liberal spin is kind of new, though it's quite fitting for the community college setting.

Andre Jurieu

#48 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:26 pm

American Thanksgiving basically means Christmas is here, which means it's time for a preview of Community in Rankin-Bass-style stop-motion animation! Rumor has it that non-denominational Mister Winter might make an appearance! Merry Happy!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:51 pm

I loved how effortlessly the show was able to float into dramedy territory for tonight's episode-- I know there are still people who don't like it when the show wears its emotions, but because it has it can earn an episode like this. Pretty melancholy times for the funniest show on TV!

Also, added to the list of old ideas the show is able to breathe new life into, the show even managed to come up with a new joke about how you can't sing "Happy Birthday" on TV!

Murdoch

#50 Post by Murdoch » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Diddely-do!