Weeds

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Murdoch

Weeds

#1 Post by Murdoch » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Anyone else a fan? It's come a long way since the first season and while a lot of fans complained about the characters leaving suburbia I think the show's in its prime right now. I like the on-the-road feel it has, and the satire of Middle America is the most spot-on and ruthless I've seen of any TV show. It's become a sort of riff on the Reefer Madness-esque philosophy of weed as a gateway drug that will lead you down a terrible life of crime, and despite how some characters can be caricatures of whatever target the writers currently have their eye on - Christians, overweight Americans - it balances out with the depth they generally give the criminals that come and go along with their mainstays. I don't know how long it can maintain the family on the run, but it's the only show I've watched regularly since the first season and I like where it's headed.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Weeds

#2 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:54 pm

I've secretly loved this show for years, wondering why there was no thread here, but without the courage to start my own. I still think Season 2 was the high point (Zooey D., natch) and Season 3 the low point, but it's consistently engaging both as a social satire and as a character study, and often, I suppose, as an edge-of-your-seat thriller. Excellent writing too, unless Justin Kirk is just making all that stuff up on the spot. He's easily worth watching the show for alone. (And to think I hated him when he first came on.) Silas' sexual adventures can be a bit too Cinemaxy for my tastes though.

Murdoch

#3 Post by Murdoch » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm an apologist for season 3, it was the breaking off point of the show since Nancy had to get introduced to the even more dangerous drug world and I think the writers struggled, but I loved U-Turn, it's difficult to pull off threatening and funny but Page Kennedy did it. Agreed on Justin Kirk, the guy has a natural likability and if he ever leaves the show it won't be able to recover.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:35 pm

I loved U-Turn too, but the manner in which they, erm, disposed of him, not so much. Also, Mary Kate Olsen. Not that the whole season was without its charms. But I know people who stopped watching during Season 3, and to them I would say, stick it out!

Murdoch

#5 Post by Murdoch » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:04 pm

I forgot about Olsen, that was certainly a low point. The show has weird guest roles - Linda Hamilton as the dealer, Jennifer Jason Leigh as Nancy's sister, etc. Season 4 seems like the biggest test of viewers since it scraps most of the subsidiary characters and just completely embraces its new direction.

tavernier

#6 Post by tavernier » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:13 pm

I still watch it, partly out of obligation since my wife still likes it, but mainly because Mary Louise Parker is the sexiest woman on TV (or in movies, or onstage....) right now.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Once again, it's worth sticking this out past Season 3. Last night's finale was heartattack good, even if some of the airport security scenarios required a little suspension of disbelief. On the whole, I think this season was as strong as the show's ever been.

Murdoch

#8 Post by Murdoch » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Weeds always manages to make its season finales the best episodes and this was no different, on par with the
SpoilerShow
dispatching of DEA Scottson season 2 finale.
Last edited by Murdoch on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tavernier

#9 Post by tavernier » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:17 pm

swo17 wrote:Once again, it's worth sticking this out past Season 3. Last night's finale was heartattack good, even if some of the airport security scenarios required a little suspension of disbelief. On the whole, I think this season was as strong as the show's ever been.
For a show that requires suspensions of disbelief with every episode, the airport security scenarios were a minor annoyance. For major disbelief, however,
SpoilerShow
I wish last night's episode ended with her sons looking out the window of their plane and seeing their mother with her hands in the air as they flew off to Paris.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Murdoch

#11 Post by Murdoch » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm

That's probably for the best, as this past season sufffered from a lot of problems, like poor integration of new characters and the general feeling that the writers had no idea where to take the Botwins next. I will say the student loan stuff was hilarious and shows that while the plot may suffer, the writers can still take a nice sardonic jab at contemporary social issues.