Sarah Silverman

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Donald Brown

Sarah Silverman

#1 Post by Donald Brown » Sat May 15, 2010 2:41 am

Eh. News of The Sarah Silverman Program's cancellation is the real grim TV story this week.

Polybius

Re: Law and Order

#2 Post by Polybius » Sat May 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Less unexpected. She's probably too acerbic and irreverent to last long on even basic cable.

Svevan

#3 Post by Svevan » Sat May 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Also not funny.

Highway 61

#4 Post by Highway 61 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:38 am

Svevan wrote:Also not funny.
Thank you.

Svevan

Re: Sarah Silverman

#5 Post by Svevan » Tue May 18, 2010 3:16 am

Let's get back to how much Sarah Silverman sucks.

Which is actually an interesting topic - I really despise the faux-innocent prejudice/racism that allows both Silverman and the viewer to laugh at things they shouldn't without the guilt, since we're all liberals, right? *wink wink* It's exhausting. Like in Eastwood's Gran Torino, where the ultimate point is that "racism is bad," but along the way Eastwood makes dozens of jokes at the expense of Asians, African Americans, Jews, and others, and the audience is, if not encouraged, at least permitted to laugh but don't worry! There's a redemptive ending! Silverman's comedy is like that, but without the pretension of a moral at the end. She hides behind her persona while her act and show are based exclusively on potty humor and liberal taboos (she probably also crosses some conservative boundaries, but those are well-trod if equally unnecessary and wrong). To make one more example, it's like those women who take off their clothes as a form of "empowerment" and call it feminism, all the while their actions reinforce the male oppressor/seducer/sexual-aggressor and female goddess/sex object/sexually-passive-receiver stereotype (not to take the blame off the men who encourage and participate in this); as Jon Stewart would say, you're not helping. Silverman's comedy isn't satire intended to critique these forms and institutions, it isn't intelligent enough for that. It's simple shock-comedy in the style of Ann Coulter, but with no political moral. Worthless stuff. Good riddance.

HerrSchreck

#6 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue May 18, 2010 9:48 am

That's too deep for me-- the girl is simply annoying.

With that fricking guitar.... (where's my head hammer?)

flyonthewall2983

#7 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:40 am

^

Ditto.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:00 am

I am fully aware that this is not a very good argument (and also that no one here seems to care) but I happen to find her funny more often than not, not to mention painfully attractive, so she gets a pass from me. I could do without all the vagina jokes though.

As for the show itself, I'm not completely disheartened by its cancellation, as the third season almost felt like a different show to me, but the first two seasons really were incredible. Surely this has something to do with Dan Harmon leaving the show to start the even funnier Community on NBC, which I'm just going to go ahead and call the best show on television right now. Hopefully that's a less controversial position than liking Sarah Silverman.

essrog

#9 Post by essrog » Tue May 18, 2010 11:44 am

swo17 wrote:Surely this has something to do with Dan Harmon leaving the show to start the even funnier Community on NBC, which I'm just going to go ahead and call the best show on television right now. Hopefully that's a less controversial position than liking Sarah Silverman.
No argument here. The action movie parody episode a few weeks back was fantastic.

Svevan

#10 Post by Svevan » Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 am

Sometimes they take their parodies beyond their limit, like the sailing class episode which was just dull - the rules of who drowns and who survives just didn't make sense, and the fact that their community college even had a sailing class to begin with was laughable. These kids have the best cc I've ever seen and they badmouth it constantly. Also, I get tired of the sentimentalizing that occurs in every. goddamn. episode. So it's not the best best show on TV, but gems like the paintball episode, the ping-pong episode, the Halloween episode, etc. make it a can't-miss show. 30 Rock and Parks and Rec are my two favorites (the latter had a slow start as an Office retread, but now is focused on actually likable characters, unlike The Office, and has lots of material to mine from the local government setting, whereas The Office is scraping the barrel and jumped the shark over a year ago).

ianungstad

#11 Post by ianungstad » Tue May 18, 2010 11:59 pm

I enjoyed the first season but the quality went quickly downhill after the first few episodes of season two. The third season was consistently awful.

Polybius

#12 Post by Polybius » Wed May 19, 2010 3:31 am

Three seasons? Really? I had no idea. I thought it was one or maybe two.

I have no dog in the hunt, so this is all academic to me.