The Devils (not yet)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tubelord

Re: The Devils (not yet)

#101 Post by tubelord » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:30 am

Why has there always been such hype surrounding this film? Because of the shock value? It's absolute garbage, trash, filth. It's a rich man's Caligula. I applaud Warner Bros for keeping this hidden away.

perkizitore

#102 Post by perkizitore » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:37 am

tubelord wrote: It's a rich man's Caligula. I applaud Warner Bros for keeping this hidden away.
Caligula has a much bigger budget than The Devils and it's a far worse film.
Are you going to call for a boycott on Caligula, then? [-o<

HarryLong

#103 Post by HarryLong » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:28 am

tubelord wrote:Why has there always been such hype surrounding this film? Because of the shock value? It's absolute garbage, trash, filth.
No, it's a masterpiece.
And its message of religion compromised by politics (and hypocritical leaders of organized religion being willing to be compromised) just gets more timely every year.

John Hodson

#104 Post by John Hodson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:23 am

I'm trying to work out just what the hell 'rich man's Caligula' means, though I detect a vague insult to both audiences. Nope; don't make a lick 'o sense...

lemmylermontov

#105 Post by lemmylermontov » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 pm

I think we must boycott someone like Tubelord. Someone who is expressing censorship and who hates culture. Please read the great book about Urban Grandier and Ludoun from Aldous Huxley and let us enjoy freely the film from mister Russell

HarryLong

#106 Post by HarryLong » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Well, he is the rich man's Mary Whitehouse...

tavernier

#107 Post by tavernier » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:47 pm

"ha ha charade you are"

HarryLong

#108 Post by HarryLong » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Well, now I'm really curious as to what element will turn up at Lincoln Center next week.
According to WB, the Montreal print was uncut. (Lisis Russell told Russell biographer Ken Hanke, however, that WB's definition of uncut might not be her's...) And rather than "video" I think "digital" should be the operative word here. No one is making 35mm archival prints anymore. Columbia's print of TOMMY, which is also making the rounds of these Russell salutes, is also digital, as is the "print" of METROPOLIS that's beieng shown here & there.

Antoine Doinel

#109 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey Harry, I'm pretty sure that certain scenes were clipped if not missing wholesale from the version I saw and this was definitely NOT in the version we had screened:
SpoilerShow
A latter scene with Sister Jeanne masturbating with the charred tibia. In the version we saw, the scene ends just after Jeanne receives the tibia.
And Fangoria also confirms that the video master struck for Fantasia was based on the US theatrical print, not the restored version.

jsteffe

#110 Post by jsteffe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:01 pm

All these problems make me grateful to have seen a 35mm print of the theatrical version here in Atlanta over a decade ago. Any doubts I might have had about the film when seeing it on VHS were erased by its overwhelming impact on the big screen. Vanessa Redgrave is unforgettable, and the production design and cinematography are world-class. Any director who can make films like this, WOMEN IN LOVE, the magnificently photographed THE MUSIC LOVERS and the genuinely moving DELIUS: SONG OF SUMMER deserves a place in film history.

AALFW

#111 Post by AALFW » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 pm

jsteffe wrote:Vanessa Redgrave is unforgettable, and the production design and cinematography are world-class. Any director who can make films like this, WOMEN IN LOVE, the magnificently photographed THE MUSIC LOVERS and the genuinely moving DELIUS: SONG OF SUMMER deserves a place in film history.
i agree entirely. it's a crime this has been put away and swept under the rug for so many years. honestly, how many holier-than-thou watchdroog groups does the distributor think would notice this with a new harry potter film around the corner?
a day one buy for me whenever this is released uncensored on dvd or hi-def

HarryLong

#112 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Hey Harry, I'm pretty sure that certain scenes were clipped if not missing wholesale from the version I saw and this was definitely NOT in the version we had screened:
SpoilerShow
A latter scene with Sister Jeanne masturbating with the charred tibia. In the version we saw, the scene ends just after Jeanne receives the tibia.
And Fangoria also confirms that the video master struck for Fantasia was based on the US theatrical print, not the restored version.
As I noted, Lisi Russell said WB's idea of uncut might not be hers...

wllm995

#113 Post by wllm995 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:07 pm

So, excuse my ignorance...but what exactly is this:
THE DEVILS * Oliver Reed * Uncut * DVD NEW

THIS ITEM IS BRAND NEW
EXACTLY AS PICTURED
Description: This version of Ken Russell's masterpiece restores all of the cut footage that was removed when the film was released including the never before seen "Rape of Christ" sequence. Includes: 70 min. of Extra Features Original Theatrical trailer Plot Summary for The Devils 1971 Cardinal Richelieu and his power-hungry entourage seek to take control of pre-rennaisance France, but need to destroy Father Grandier-the priest who runs the fortified town that prevents them from exerting total control. So they seek to destroy him by setting him up as a warlock in control of a devil-possessed nunnery, the mother superior of which is sexually obsessed by him. A mad witch-hunter is brought in to gather evidence against the priest ready for the big trial.
Region Code: All
Format: NTSC
Languages: English
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Is this a scam - or a real copy of the uncut film?

:?

Murdoch

#114 Post by Murdoch » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Bootleg, tell-tale sign is the misspellings.

Fiery Angel

#115 Post by Fiery Angel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Venessa Russel

perkizitore

#116 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Murdoch wrote:Bootleg, tell-tale sign is the misspellings.
Your statement would make someone think that an ACTUAL DVD of the film exists! :lol:

HarryLong

#117 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:33 pm

If it's like a couple other versions I've seen, it's the British cut of the film. the Rape of Christ can be seen within the documentary that's one of the extras.
I found mine at the Monster Bash convention a few years ago & got a replacement of Amazon a few months ago.* It isn't exactly great (VHS quality imahe), buit it's the only thing out there.

*Making a abck-up is advised. My first copy got a bad case of the freeze-ups after a couple years.

perkizitore

#118 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:36 pm

In 5 days the Spanish DVD will be released, hopefully with a transfer from a restored print.

wllm995

#119 Post by wllm995 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:49 pm

HarryLong wrote:
If it's like a couple other versions I've seen, it's the British cut of the film. the Rape of Christ can be seen within the documentary that's one of the extras.

*Making a abck-up is advised. My first copy got a bad case of the freeze-ups after a couple years.
Thanks - that is what I thought...a friend of mine showed me a copy about a year ago; and it was a vhs quality version with the Rape of Christ in the docu at the end.

Me thinks that the Seller of this item is indulging in a bit too much of his imagination to list is as "uncut"... :^o

[-X

Person

#120 Post by Person » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:35 am

perkizitore wrote:In 5 days the Spanish DVD will be released, hopefully with a transfer from a restored print.
Really? Where can it be ordered from?

Ashirg

#121 Post by Ashirg » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:45 am

Star Cafe Link
Fnac.es link
Duración: 111 min.

I would wait for reviews before ordering one.

Person

#122 Post by Person » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:24 am

I ordered it out of curiosity. I'll post caps when it arrives.

Perkins Cobb

#123 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:29 am

And, the conspiracy continues: Lincoln Center will be screening the U.S. theatrical cut.

HarryLong

#124 Post by HarryLong » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:01 pm

wllm995 wrote:Me thinks that the Seller of this item is indulging in a bit too much of his imagination to list is as "uncut"... :^o

[-X
Yes, that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's not like he went to thr trouble of taking the Rape footage & inserting at the correct place (plus, if I recall, the aspect ratios are different). I suspect both film & doc were taped off Brit TV (Channel 4?) and the burned to disc. There are at least 3 sellers offering esentially the same disc, btw.

wllm995

#125 Post by wllm995 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:46 pm

HarryLong wrote:
wllm995 wrote:Me thinks that the Seller of this item is indulging in a bit too much of his imagination to list is as "uncut"... :^o

[-X
Yes, that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's not like he went to thr trouble of taking the Rape footage & inserting at the correct place (plus, if I recall, the aspect ratios are different). I suspect both film & doc were taped off Brit TV (Channel 4?) and the burned to disc. There are at least 3 sellers offering esentially the same disc, btw.
Not quite sure where you're coming from...

Doesn't "uncut" mean viewing the film in one unedited cut as the Director originally intended?

If you extract one of the scenes from the film; and simply add it in as an "extra" added after the movie is viewed - is that not then a "cut" version of the film that you just watched?

:?