Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
nicolas

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#2076 Post by nicolas » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:11 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:I plan to comb through threads a bit over the next stretch of time, but since I've finally moved into a home I plan to stay in for the foreseeable future, I really want to invest in an optimal TV for UHD. I currently have a Roku TV model that, as EddieLarkin helpfully mentioned in the past, only barely supports the ability to notice differences in the format.

I'm planning to buy the TV around Black Friday weekend, so I have some time, but what models/brands do those of you who are serious about the format recommend, or have yourselves? I've only really heard of OLEDs, which sound cool - I don't necessarily need the 'top of the line', certainly would like something that's gonna be on sale, but I watch enough films and have invested enough in the format already where I'd like to really see those results.

(Also, perhaps related (certainly not a dealbreaker in any way), I'm curious about the 3-D possibilities.. I know swo17 has mentioned having a setup, but I don't know if there's a TV/player combo (I'm planning to level up to the Panasonic 820, which I believe supports 3D) that will allow me to watch stuff like Goodbye to Language the way it was meant to be seen. *I'd much rather have the best TV for 2D than include 3D as a qualifier though)
Congratulations on your new home!

For a TV I can heartily recommend a LG OLED model. Getting a model of the GX (2020) line, which was the best LG category at the time, was a revelation in every single way. I’ve never looked back and instead saved enough to upgrade to a 83-inch G2 last year. It’s so beautiful each time I’m looking at that screen that the best UHDs shine (and the horribly encoded ones hurt even more) in a way I feel does the films justice at home. I stopped going to my local theater unless for event movies as the projection quality over there sadly has worsened over time and now pales compared to how I’ve tuned my TV. Combine that with great sound (I have a Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar with sub - phenomenal - no 5.1 needed) and you have everything you need. Even on a smaller size than 83 inches, you should get phenomenal image quality all around with everything supported. Dolby Vision, HDR10 (no HDR10+ but negligible), Atmos, Filmmaker Mode (disables all motion smoothing etc.), perfect black levels and the opposite in highlights. All in all, endlessly ravishing.

Black Friday should get you a good deal as LG discounts their TV sometimes. I got a phenomenal deal for my 83-inch from a local TV shop in Germany.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#2077 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:30 pm

I've got a Sceptre television that's worked perfectly for nine years now - this was a gift not the brand I'd necessarily have chosen but the 1080p output settings have always got the job done for me - can I use it with any UHD player? Eureka's Touch of Evil UHD is really tempting me to finally buy a player.

therewillbeblus

#2078 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:54 pm

nicolas wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:11 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:I plan to comb through threads a bit over the next stretch of time, but since I've finally moved into a home I plan to stay in for the foreseeable future, I really want to invest in an optimal TV for UHD. I currently have a Roku TV model that, as EddieLarkin helpfully mentioned in the past, only barely supports the ability to notice differences in the format.

I'm planning to buy the TV around Black Friday weekend, so I have some time, but what models/brands do those of you who are serious about the format recommend, or have yourselves? I've only really heard of OLEDs, which sound cool - I don't necessarily need the 'top of the line', certainly would like something that's gonna be on sale, but I watch enough films and have invested enough in the format already where I'd like to really see those results.

(Also, perhaps related (certainly not a dealbreaker in any way), I'm curious about the 3-D possibilities.. I know swo17 has mentioned having a setup, but I don't know if there's a TV/player combo (I'm planning to level up to the Panasonic 820, which I believe supports 3D) that will allow me to watch stuff like Goodbye to Language the way it was meant to be seen. *I'd much rather have the best TV for 2D than include 3D as a qualifier though)
Congratulations on your new home!

For a TV I can heartily recommend a LG OLED model. Getting a model of the GX (2020) line, which was the best LG category at the time, was a revelation in every single way. I’ve never looked back and instead saved enough to upgrade to a 83-inch G2 last year. It’s so beautiful each time I’m looking at that screen that the best UHDs shine (and the horribly encoded ones hurt even more) in a way I feel does the films justice at home. I stopped going to my local theater unless for event movies as the projection quality over there sadly has worsened over time and now pales compared to how I’ve tuned my TV. Combine that with great sound (I have a Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar with sub - phenomenal - no 5.1 needed) and you have everything you need. Even on a smaller size than 83 inches, you should get phenomenal image quality all around with everything supported. Dolby Vision, HDR10 (no HDR10+ but negligible), Atmos, Filmmaker Mode (disables all motion smoothing etc.), perfect black levels and the opposite in highlights. All in all, endlessly ravishing.

Black Friday should get you a good deal as LG discounts their TV sometimes. I got a phenomenal deal for my 83-inch from a local TV shop in Germany.
Thank you for the well-wishes (and for the kind words in the other thread)! And also for the OLED confirmation - I'm admittedly a little nervous about the sensitivity to be able to see all the problems you and others are noticing that I'm graciously blind to - but I supposed that comes with the ability to witness the wonders of the format.

Just a quick (hopefully semi-straightforward) question: It seems like the drill is that DVDs and SD extras look poor due to the player, not the TV, right? So, for example, if I played certain discs on a Panasonic 420 or Sony 3700 vs the Panasonic 820, it wouldn't be painful to watch because of the TV's quality/sensitivity? I ask because my partner wants me to ditch my current TV (she's not keen on moving it to another room to create a separate media space..), and I'm hesitant to do so if it's actually going to have benefits for consuming lower-quality content..

jheez

#2079 Post by jheez » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:43 am

Any recent model OLED from LG or Sony would probably be ideal. I'd make sure it has some sort of filmmaker mode and Dolby Vision, which they probably all do.

DVDs and SD content should be fine and watchable on an OLED or another good TV. However, I find this content unwatchable on Panasonic UHD players (my Panasonic 820). The Sony 3700 should do the trick though!

senseabove

#2080 Post by senseabove » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:16 am

I'm assuming this is still the case, but when I was researching in 2021, the standard opinion was that Sony was slightly better if you're mostly interested in movies, and LG if you're mostly interested in games. Sony's image processing/upscaling is better, while LG has better support for things like 4k 120hz gaming.

The thing that really tipped me, though, was that, while LG makes the same OLED panels for both themselves and Sony, Sony gets pick of the litter and LG uses the rest, so Sony's screens tend to have fewer issues and better calibration out of the box—at least back then, there were lots of posts in LG threads about dead pixels, vertical banding, etc., and I really just didn't want to deal with the hassle having to exchange the TV. Maybe QC has gotten better in the intervening years, though. The Sonys are slightly more expensive, especially if you go 77" or bigger, but I don't regret a penny of the splurge.

Also, if you find one of the regional independent dealers and are comfortable haggling a bit, you can likely get good deals at any time. I got mine at a California chain called Video Only, in October, at a price cheaper than it was on the subsequent Black Friday. Check the various home theater forums for dealer discussion.

EddieLarkin

#2081 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:44 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:56 pm
Unfortunately 4K3D TVs are completely dead now, you would have to go back to 2016 to find a model. The only alternative would be a projector, thankfully many quality models from the present day offer 3D along with 4K, HDR etc.

therewillbeblus

#2082 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:44 pm

Any particular OLED deals strike anyone as a best buy?

I'm pretty set on an LG C2 77" which only seems to be carried at Walmart and delivery-only (which feels sketchy, but that's probably just my anxiety talking since I don't intend to buy a "protective plan" unless they're recommended), but open to other deals if they're just as good/better

Edit: looks like the flashy deal is a C3 evo from Amazon for a bit more - not sure if it’s worth ~$500 for whatever ‘bump’ in quality this is… out of my element, to say the least (but apparently it offers DTS which is helpful for people watching blu-rays? If I mostly watch regular blus, and the C2 is drastically inferior for playing them, I’ll take the leap)

All advice/feedback welcome

nicolas

#2083 Post by nicolas » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:37 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:Any particular OLED deals strike anyone as a best buy?

I'm pretty set on an LG C2 77" which only seems to be carried at Walmart and delivery-only (which feels sketchy, but that's probably just my anxiety talking since I don't intend to buy a "protective plan" unless they're recommended), but open to other deals if they're just as good/better

Edit: looks like the flashy deal is a C3 evo from Amazon for a bit more - not sure if it’s worth ~$500 for whatever ‘bump’ in quality this is… out of my element, to say the least (but apparently it offers DTS which is helpful for people watching blu-rays? If I mostly watch regular blus, and the C2 is drastically inferior for playing them, I’ll take the leap)

All advice/feedback welcome
I have a G2 evo model and the image quality is absolutely spectacular in every way. I cant say the same about the audio though - but it’s understandable as it’s such a paper-thin TV. I haven’t heard of significant image improvements for the new …3 series. I assume there are only minor improvements going forward, so you should be fine with the C2. 77 inch is a great size (I bit the bullet and took a 83-inch model) and definitely recommended when you have enough adequate material that allows you to take advantage of the size, obviously UHD discs. As I’m not from the US, I sadly can’t help you in terms of deal recommendations but if you choose the C2 and have a little extra budget available, I heartily recommend taking that into a separate audio system. I’ve bought a Sennheiser Ambeo Max soundbar in 2020 and it’s worth every cent. If you appreciate good sound (Atmos etc.) from Blu-ray’s and music as well, this is a must as this is the only soundbar I’m aware of that achieves what a normal 5.1 system is capable of.

MichaelB

#2084 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:38 pm

I have a 55” C2, and it’s fabulous. I took advantage of a half-price soundbar offer with no regrets.

TMDaines

#2085 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:29 pm

I must be in the minority in having a 55" 4K LG TV, with HDR, Dolby Vision etc (which I was generously given by a family member who wanted to upgrade to something larger), but I don't have a UHD Blu-ray player and still buy everything on Blu-ray to watch on a BenQ W1110 1080p projector on a 92" screen instead. I have perfect eyesight, but cannot particularly appreciate the added detail on the smaller screen and the trade-off on a large projected image size vs dynamic range isn't worth it for me. 80%+ of what I watch isn't available in 4K and HDR anyway.

It is still too expensive to get for a proper 4K projector or a screen at 80"+. My wife also wouldn't want a screen that big mounted in the living room permanently. Our projector screen is a pull-down. UHD Blu-rays and HDR being essentially completely unsupported on Windows is also another barrier, as I use an HTPC.

Of all the titles I buy, probably only a few percent of them even get a UHD Blu-ray release, so I'm still not missing out that much. Still, there are quite a few Criterions, Arrrow, BFI or releases from other labels that I therefore don't have in the best format.

therewillbeblus

#2086 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:48 pm

Very silly question I'm sure: but does a soundbar like this work just as optimally for 2.0 channels, etc? I'm not trying to play things super loud or anything - my home's setup does not support that (not enough space between my TV room and the place my light-sleeping partner rests when I watch most 4Ks) but I do like how this bar reportedly creates more of a surround sound effect compared to the one below it (the S80?), which I've never had before. (I previously had a very poor Vizio so I know anything will be good next to it - but just want to make sure I'm not buying anything fancy that prevents me from enjoying the sound of 2.0 channels, etc. because I wouldn't want anything to sound worse due to improved quality! If that's even a thing...)

I'm curious what others have/if I should be looking at other features, but this seems to be a killer deal in the U.S. on Amazon right now. The recommended bar linked to the TV was this one, but rtings.com puts the S90QY as superior to the SC9S despite being a lot cheaper right now (tho' severely discounted). I can't really understand audio reviews well, but it sounds like it downmixes well - does that mean that I don't need to mess with my TV's settings to convert audio if I'm watching a 2.0 mix or an AAC digital file, etc.?

AxeYou

#2087 Post by AxeYou » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:03 pm

FWIW even with a full 5.1 speaker setup (nothing fancy), I've never found less enjoyment from 2.0 sources or moderately compressed audio.

On a separate note, with a $400+ budget, you should be able to get a pair of decent entry-level bookshelf speakers on sale along with a budget AVR, and they should blow pretty much any soundbar out of the water.

Lemmy Caution

#2088 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:52 am

Is it easy these days to buy a Blu Ray player in the US?
Costco or electronic stores?
I was thinking of hauling 50 or so DVds halfway around the planet to watch them with my mother. But I know they never had a DVD player. Looking for reasonably priced as it will just get used for a month.

Edit: Looks like dvd players are cheap. I mostly have DVDs.
In Shanghai, no where to buy them any more. Maybe online somewhere.

fdm

#2089 Post by fdm » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:18 pm

US dvd players bought off the shelf are typically locked to Region 1.

hearthesilence

#2090 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:15 pm

For a while, the most common Best Buy DVD player was region-free without being advertised as such - I *think* it was CyberHome, but it was a thick, rectangular silver standalone DVD player with a tray. My parents got one and later my school got a bunch of them as they were inexpensive but reliable. This would've been the mid-to-late '00s.

Lemmy Caution

#2091 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:40 pm

fdm wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:18 pm
US dvd players bought off the shelf are typically locked to Region 1.
Oh, forgot about that stuff. I've been overseas for decades.
But my DVDs are all Chinese no-region specials, so should be fine.
But I'll bring one to the store and see if I can test it out. Or know the return policy.

I was overly ambitious. I'll probably just bring 15 DVDs, due to weight issues.
My mother pretty much only reads crime/detective fiction (and rarely sees movies until getting hooked on TCM during Covid), so I'm bringing some noirs.

She loves the Third Man theme from when she was a kid. I used to play the Band's version from a 33 1/3 record album and she'd hum along. Memento has that twisty whodunit element she should enjoy
The Best Years of our Life for a little nostalgia and a great film. The Artist too, which I'd like to ratchet. O Brother Where Art Thou, as I can rewatch that endlessly. And my father might like that as well. My father is a dedicated Tv fan. He watches 5-15 minutes of something and clicks over to something else incessantly. So he's seen brief fragments of many cable movies, but rarely watches a whole film.

Others:
Manchurian Candidate (mom loves her some Angela Lansbury)
To Be or Not to Be
A Face in the Crowd
Night of the Hunter
Waitress
Rabbit Hole
Nebraska
All About Eve
My Winnipeg

That was a pretty quick selection. But good enough as I have lots of packing and cleaning and such to do. Maybe I'll tweak it slightly. Nebraska? Do my octogenarian parents really want to watch a family drama about a confused octogenarian? I think that needs replacing ...

knives

#2092 Post by knives » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:00 pm

I have a Hisense Roku TV. Starting Friday it refused to turn on. The red light is still on and is periodically blinking. I tried three different kinds of reset on the set to no avail. Any possibility it’s not completely dead?

fdm

#2093 Post by fdm » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:10 pm

I know nothing about your tv, but sometimes the way the blinking behaves might give you some indication of what is wrong with the tv. Check its manual, there's usually a troubleshooting seciton. (I recall my panasonic plasma does this for certain types of problems.)

knives

#2094 Post by knives » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:34 pm

I did that and it said it usually means a power problem which can be fixed by resetting.

fdm

#2095 Post by fdm » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:57 pm

A few probably won't make a difference, but won't hurt to try, suggestions:

- Unplug the set for a few hours and try again later.

- Disconnect all the cables from the tv and if it works that way then it could be a cable somehow causing the power problem (shut the tv off first or even unplug it before doing so).

- Plug the tv into a different receptacle (perhaps elsewhere in the house) and see if that makes a difference.

- Try a different power cord.

Those are some things I might have come up with before throwing in the towel. Sometimes you get lucky…

knives

#2096 Post by knives » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:30 pm

How would I try a different power cable? I’ve tried the other options (had it shut down all Friday night and this morning).

fdm

#2097 Post by fdm » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:57 pm

Depends on the tv of course, but some tvs may have detachable power cords, and many detachable power cords have pretty much the same connectors on each end. If yours is detachable, see if you have other detachable cords similar to it with any of your other electronics (computers, video players, etc) and borrow it. Make sure the number of prongs that get plugged into the wall and come out of the tv are the same. Only a very slim chance that this is the problem anyway.

At this point you should be checking the tv's warranty for "free" repair options, or a place to have yours repaired.

Me, I usually take such opportunities to get a new, larger screened and (hopefully) even better and more reliable set. Though in terms of hi-def televisions it took me a few iterations to get to the plasma set I have now (including a circuit board replacement for it pretty early on), and to finally find one that lasted and worked properly for more than just a few years (I just realized mine's now just over 10 years old, though it may finally be starting to show its age and nearing end of life…).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#2098 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:29 pm

fdm -- we are still relying on our aging (but still working well) Samsung plasma. it did incur lightning damage (a couple of parts got fried) , but we found someone who could install (used, of course, at this point) replacement parts. On the one hand I would love to get the "latest and greatest" -- but I can't bear to part with this while it still works fine. ;-)

Matt

#2099 Post by Matt » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:57 pm

fdm wrote:At this point you should be checking the tv's warranty for "free" repair options, or a place to have yours repaired.
I had a marvelous 2008 Samsung LCD as my primary set until I decided to embrace 4K earlier this year. I bought a low-end LG thinking the technology would have improved so much over the last 15 years that any new set would be an improvement. Well, it looked bad. It also had some light bleed at the bottom of the screen that was very distracting during dark scenes or letterboxed films. I stupidly thought I would just get used to it but I never did.

Anyway, as it was still under warranty I complained to LG, they sent an in-home repair tech who said the screen couldn’t be replaced, and I got a full refund. I applied that refund to a new, bigger Samsung OLED and it is an incredible improvement in every way.

The moral: don’t settle for “good enough for now,” and if your TV is still under warranty, get it as good as it can be while you are still able. In fact, LG offered to send me a bigger model at no cost to me, but I wasn’t sure I wanted another LG.

fdm

#2100 Post by fdm » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:49 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:29 pm
fdm -- we are still relying on our aging (but still working well) Samsung plasma. it did incur lightning damage (a couple of parts got fried) , but we found someone who could install (used, of course, at this point) replacement parts. On the one hand I would love to get the "latest and greatest" -- but I can't bear to part with this while it still works fine. ;-)
Every time I realize how much older my plasma set is now, I think I really really need to watch some more of those 3D blu-rays I've accumulated before it's too late. So some of that same here.

I usually hold on to electronics that are still working more or less fine until they no longer do so. My last receiver finally croaked enough around when it turned 13 years old (and there were quite a few workarounds needed to make the new technologies work with (or bypass) it, that I was hoping it would have died sooner). A few older things are still going strong (knock on wood), although I did pay (a lot (again)) to repair/refurbish my cassette deck earlier this year (it's from '86 - I figured one last time should pretty much cover both of us for the duration, so we shall see how that turns out).