Warner and Welles

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
thomega

#51 Post by thomega » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:02 pm

Chips_Critic wrote:The Warner R2 The Trial has two reels swapped around
I recently picked up the French StudioCanal and compared the 1963 cut to the Warner UK: the order of the reels is in the same order in both. I fully agree that the StudioCanal looks much better.

Lino

#52 Post by Lino » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:11 pm

From this year's chat:
Elements for The Magnificent Ambersons has been found and that film and Journey into Fear will be released in 2008. Alternate European cuts will be included for Journey into Fear

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re:

#53 Post by Drucker » Tue May 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Lino wrote:Ok, so to sum it up and kind of serve as reference for all of you out there like me who are trying to keep up with the best DVD versions of Welles' films, here it is, a dynamic list:
Seeing that The Trial is getting a Studio Canal release and with the good news that's been trickling in lately, can we update the list posted years ago? I don't see an "Orson Welles on DVD" thread...

Citizen Kane
(1941) - Warner Blu Ray

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) - The R1 DVD release by Warners seems to be best

It's All True (1943) - Paramount release from 2004 seems to be the only choice

The Stranger (1946) - The blu-ray is apparently DNRed to death, so MGM's R1 (from noir box) would probably be the best bet

The Lady from Shanghai (1947) - Columbia Classics edition

Macbeth (1948) - go for the french Wild Side 3xDVD (is this the same transfer as the UK single-disc?)

Othello (1952) - go for the UK R2

Mr. Arkadin (1955) - Criterion's Complete 3-Disc Set is the one to get

Touch of Evil (1958) - MoC's 2-Disc Blu-Ray only could be the best release of any Welles film!

The Trial (1962) - go for the the french Studio Canal edition--a Blu Ray is announced for Sept 3, 2012

Chimes at Midnight (1965) -The French Studio Canal edition is OOP and was quickly pulled, leaving the recently-released Mr. Bongo the one to beat pending some reviews in all likelihood (though it's in the wrong AR)

The Immortal Story (1968) - go for the italian edition, but Criterion has is streaming on Hulu Plus

F for Fake (1974) - Criterion and MoC both have excellent editions

Don Quijote de Orson Welles (1992) - wait, just grab yourselves a seat and wait

King Lear - is anything available but the E1 edition?

I'm happy to update this with links later on/some point this week

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Warner and Welles

#54 Post by swo17 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Olive Films recently acquired Macbeth. I wouldn't be surprised if a Blu-ray gets announced sometime this year.

martin

Re: Re:

#55 Post by martin » Sat May 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Drucker wrote:Macbeth (1948) - go for the french Wild Side 3xDVD (is this the same transfer as the UK single-disc?)
No, those are different transfers (hugely different!). The UK Second Sight dvd has lots of scratches and dirt, and apparently no post-filtering. The French is heavily filtered, no scratches. Here is a comparison (beware that these images are not exact representaions of what the transfers look like. For instance, some cropping and resizing has been done. These grabs were made for another purpose several years ago, but they've been captured under similar circumstances and should be comparable). Top: French. Bottom: UK.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#56 Post by Drucker » Sun May 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Jeez the French looks significantly better, can't believe I just bought Sight and Sound cus I saw it in Kim's!

How's the audio on the French? the UK is certainly scratchy and you can hear the vinyl/tape/audio source

martin

#57 Post by martin » Tue May 22, 2012 1:28 am

They've done a lot of audio restoration too on the French disc. It's quite good (actually even better than the video restoration, which is perhaps overdone just a little bit IMO). The French release has forced French subs though.

martin

#58 Post by martin » Fri May 25, 2012 4:04 am

My Macbeth edition is the original 2005 release with the 80-page book. There's no doubt that it has forced subs; I've tested it on Oppo (region-hacked BD player), Panasonic, Yamaha, and Philips. I've not managed to remove the subs on any of these players. If your edition is the rerelease, then it seems likely that the forced subs are gone on that particular release.

Sure, the forced subs doesn't have to be a big problem. There are a lot of workarounds. It plays from PC without subs. But my preferred option, as you suggest, is to rip it to a hard drive and play it via NAS.