The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch, 1940)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
devlinnn

#1 Post by devlinnn » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:07 am

Love the trailer to this masterpiece -

Frank Morgan: "Ladies and Gentlemen, I want you to meet Ernst Lubitsch, our director. The man who gave you Garbo in Ninotchka, who made you laugh, and now gives you a Morgan, who makes you laugh,"

Lubitsch (with regulation chomping of cigar with other hand in pocket): "I hope."

Frank Morgan: "Yes, yes I hope so to, in a Shop Around the Corner'

Jeff

#2 Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:39 pm

JusteLeblanc wrote:
I'm guessing the chances of a special edition version of this film are slim to none, but I'm throwing it out there just in case anyone knows of anything. It's another Lubitch, but no one really seems to think Warner is going to release a Lubitch box, I'm not sure if they can. They might do a Jimmy Stewart box but I dont want to turn this into purely random speculation.

Honestly, it's the snap case that bugs me. Maybe they'll just release this in a normal DVD case.

Cinesimilitude

#3 Post by Cinesimilitude » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:05 pm

watched this for the first time last night, An I just ordered the warner classic comedy collection on amazon.

just to let you guys know, they've got it for 37% off, Bringing up Baby 2 disc, Philadelphia Story 2 disc, Stage Door, Dinner at Eight, Libeled Lady, and Lubitschs' To be or not to be, all for 43.99 US.

jojo

#4 Post by jojo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:28 pm

I never get tired of watching this movie, and this is coming from someone who has a huge bias against "stagey looking" productions, which SATC admittedly is.

Watching this again, it re-occurs to me just how short a shelf life so many Hollywood actresses usually have. I have to say I had something of a crush on Margaret Sullavan after watching this for the first time, and then read that she descended into substance abuse problems, which is a shame. Nowadays, I doubt most people, even seniors, have even heard of her. But there have been many other, non-self-destructive actresses who disappeared after a few pictures, while you see guys like Stewart, Grant and Fonda go on and on and on until they hit 60.

hearthesilence

Re: The Shop Around the Corner

#5 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm

I thought this title was out-of-print but apparently it remains in circulation...as a bonus disc for the You've Got Mail Blu-Ray disc. Oh, the indignity!

filmyfan

#6 Post by filmyfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Shocking this is still not available on a BR. Every year I expect someone to release it round this time of year...and yet nothing.

What's the problem...does anyone know?

hearthesilence

#7 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Why is an upgrade necessary when we were clearly blessed with the greatest upgrade of all in 1998?

onedimension

#8 Post by onedimension » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm

I’ve been hoping Criterion would do it, but you’d think it’d at least be a Warner Archive blu by now..