Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

sky

Re: Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

#51 Post by sky » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am

Hello,

Is there any chance Salo will get a new release for region B? Criterion and BFI blu ray releases are both superior to any previous dvd, no doubt about that, but from the two mentioned above - Criterion blu ray has a much more natural look, its sharper and not so much affected by various digital processing. I compared multiple screenshots and it is pretty clear that BFI version has this additional veil/shroud of digital manipulation and loss in detail. The problem - Criterion is region A locked, so no chance for me to get it on my system. Perhaps BFI would look into this in the future and would make another attempt at Salo?

Im asking this, because I dont want to make a double purchase. I was planning to buy the BFI version, because it has amazing extras and the entire package is excellent + you can now get it at half of the original price, since its a pretty old release. The only concern I have is the actual quality of the transfer, which is still good, having in mind the movie itself, how and when it was made, but at the same time I am aware that Criterion looks better and Im sure BFI would make a much better work as of now.

I somehow doubt that any of Pasolini movies will get a full 4k restauration/4k uhd blu ray release.. Probably too expensive and too risky, am I more or less right, assuming that 2k and blu ray will be as good as it gets for Mr. Pasolini? Given common sense, artistic nature of his works, limited interest, the way most of his movies were shot and possible bad condition of remaining negatives..

Thanks.

MichaelB

#52 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 pm

The negative of Salò would need a whole new scan to effect much of an improvement. The problem with that transfer is that many of the problems are baked into it, thanks to the appalling practice of making digital "improvements" at the time of the actual scan. Thankfully this is largely a thing of the past now, but that isn't much help for existing masters afflicted by this.

Moshrom

#53 Post by Moshrom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:19 am

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 10, 2019 8:00 am

Upgraded version to be released on 16 September:
Pasolini’s Salò, or 120 Days of Sodom (1975) remains one of the most controversial films ever released. As with The Trilogy of Life, a High Definition master new to the UK will be utilised for this reissue that will feature new as well as existing extras.