Hair

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Hair

#1 Post by antnield » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Hair

#2 Post by ando » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:33 am

antnield wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm
28 November 2019
Must have for me. Thanks.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:30 am

It's an excellent example of a film that was desperately dated when it originally came out (Miloš Forman had wanted to make it for a full decade, but only had the opportunity when One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest made him a bona fide A-lister) but which stands up rather well today now that the late 1970s seems almost as culturally distant as the late 1960s. I watched it as part of a massive Forman marathon a few years ago, and had pretty low expectations based on reputation - but was very pleasantly surprised.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:52 am

Years ago, I put this on a list for my high school students of potential films from and about the Vietnam era to watch outside of class for our cultural history of the war course. One of my bright but deathly shy students chose Hair and thought it would be safe to watch with her mom since it was only rated PG. Needless to say, she was mortified. Perversely, for her presentation on the film, this student unannounced played one of the most outrageous scenes ("Black Boys are delicious," for those who have seen this) for the class as a way of trying to make me feel awkward in turn by showing it, nudity and all! I thought her doing this was hilarious and she aced the presentation despite or maybe even because of it.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#5 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:15 am

I love this film. The re-recordings of the songs sound also a lot better than the original 1968 Broadway cast album.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:22 am

Full specs announced:
Hair
Directed by Miloš Forman

Dual Format Edition release on 28 October 2019

This far-out adaptation of the smash-hit 1968 Broadway anti-establishment musical – marking Oscar-winning director Miloš Forman’s triumphant return after One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (1975) – was nominated for two Golden Globes.

Celebrating its 40th Anniversary this year, it will be released on Blu-ray (a UK premiere)/DVD in a Dual Format Edition by the BFI on 28 October 2019 as part of a UK-wide season, BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen.

Loosely based on Hair: An American Tribal Love-Rock Musical, the musical play, book and lyrics by Gerome Ragni and James Rado, with music composed by Galt MacDermot, Miloš Forman’s energetic adaptation centres on Claude (John Savage), a naïve young draftee from Bible Belt America. Alone in New York awaiting his posting to Vietnam, he falls in with a hippie tribe led by Berger (Treat Williams) and spends his final civilian days discovering the complexities of race, class, friendship – and love, when he falls for a rich debutante with a rebellious soul. Welcome to the Age of Aquarius.

BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show On Screen celebrates the joyful, emotional, shared experience of watching film musicals; with the biggest stars, the most iconic scenes and the best-loved song and dance numbers back on the big screen. Running 14 Oct 2019 – Jan 2020, it incorporates a season at BFI Southbank, BFI UK-wide re-releases of classic musicals, hundreds of screenings and events at venues across the UK, DVD/Blu-ray releases and films to watch on BFI Player.

Special features
Aquarius (1966, 8 mins): the Age of Aquarius arrives in this jazzy psychedelic animation
San Francisco (1968, 15 mins): kaleidoscopic city imagery soundtracked with a rare version of Pink Floyd’s ‘Interstellar Overdrive’
Indian Pop Instrumental (c1970, 3 mins): mysterious sitar groovefest
Discomania (1979, 25 mins): disco-dance champions glitterballs, lurex, sequins, skates and more
Nicholas Ray in Conversation (1969, audio, 56 mins): the legendary filmmaker in London
• Original trailer
• Image gallery

Product details
RRP: £22.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1353 / Cert 15
USA / 1979 / colour / 121 mins / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.85:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 PCM stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (448kbps) and Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo (192kbps)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 am

Pretty rando Nicholas Ray extra, but I guess the BFI doesn’t have any of his films in the pipeline so they’re throwing it in with a film where he gives a little cameo

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:42 am

My thoughts exactly. Another label might struggle to justify the licensing fee, but that's not the BFI's problem as they own the recording to begin with.