Night and the City

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Night and the City

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Adrian Martin has confirmed to one of our members that this will be coming from BFI with both American and British versions and at least one commentary by Martin

NABOB OF NOWHERE

Re: Night and the City

#2 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Hope they keep the Paul Duncan commentary too. Good overview of 'Spiv culture 'in post-war Britain.

What A Disgrace

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:14 am

Up on Amazon, but not available for pre-order yet. September 28 release date.

• Includes both the US and the previously unseen British version of the film
• Audio commentary on the US release by Paul Duncan
• New audio commentary on the British version by film critic Adrian Martin
• The Guardian Lecture: 1981 interview with Jules Dassin by film critic Alexander Walker
• Actor Richard Widmark interviewed at the National Film Theatre in 2002 by Adrian Wootton

rapta

#4 Post by rapta » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:31 am

Up for pre-order now, along with the Otto Preminger Collection and The Birth of a Nation (Centenary Edition).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:52 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#6 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:56 am

Special features

Brand new 4K restoration of the US version and 2k restoration of the previously unseen British version
Original theatrical trailer
US version audio commentary by Paul Duncan
UK version audio commentary by Adrian Martin
Richard Widmark Interviewed by Adrian Wootton at the National Film Theatre (2002, 72 mins): extensive interview filmed onstage
The Guardian Lecture: Jules Dassin Interviewed by Alexander Walker(1981, 52 mins, audio with stills): a far-reaching onstage discussion
Illustrated booklet with extensive credits and newly commissioned essays

USA | 1950 | black and white | English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles | 96 minutes | BD50 | 1080p | 24fps | Original aspect ratio 1.33:1 | PCM mono audio (48k/16-bit) | Cert PG (contains mild violence) | Region B Blu-ray

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Full specs announced:
Night and the City
A film by Jules Dassin
Starring Richard Widmark

Adapted from Gerald Kersh’s classic crime novel, Night and the City is a consummate film noir classic which presents a fevered and paranoid vision of London by night – a city still shattered and skeletal from wartime bombing. Released on Blu-ray by the BFI for the first time in the UK on 28 September 2015, the film is presented in two versions – the US and British cuts – and accompanied by a comprehensive selection of special features.

Richard Widmark stars as Harry Fabian, a small-time spiv with big dreams who worms his way into the dangerous world of wrestling rackets, and who comes into conflict with a vengeful club owner (Francis Sullivan) and a tough gangster (Herbert Lom). Harry’s long-suffering girlfriend (Gene Tierney) tries to save him – but can Harry outrun his fate?

Compellingly directed by Academy Award nominee Jules Dassin (at the time under suspicion in Hollywood for his political beliefs), Night and the City has been celebrated for its uncompromising, bleak portrayal of urban life, its array of unsympathetic characters and its expressionist visual style.

Special features
• Brand new 4K restoration of the US version;
• 2K restoration of the previously unseen British version;
• Original theatrical trailer;
• US version audio commentary by film noir expert Paul Duncan;
• British version audio commentary by film expert Adrian Martin;
Richard Widmark Interviewed by Adrian Wootton (2002, 72 mins): extensive interview filmed onstage at the National Film Theatre;
The Guardian Lecture: Jules Dassin Interviewed by Alexander Walker (1981, 52 mins, audio with stills): a far-reaching on-stage discussion;
• Illustrated booklet with essays by Lee Server, Paul Duncan and James Hahn; and full film credits.

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1217 / Cert PG
USA / 1950 / black & white /English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles 96 mins / BD50 / 1080p / 24fps / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / PCM mono audio (48k/24-bit)

rapta

#8 Post by rapta » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Just saw a photo of the finished packaging and it seems there's no BFI logo on the cover...it seems Fox have asked for it not to appear much like Paramount have been doing with Eureka releases. Wonder if they'll be doing the same with Arrow and Eureka releases too? Strange though - recent Fox titles via Eureka/Arrow have had the Eureka/Arrow logo on the front cover.

mistakaninja

#9 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:45 pm

It was a review copy, not a finished package (hence the clear case, which the reviewer put it in himself), though it seems too close to the release for there still to be cover changes to be made.

rapta

#10 Post by rapta » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:47 pm

mistakaninja wrote:It was a review copy, not a finished package (hence the clear case, which the reviewer put it in himself), though it seems too close to the release for there still to be cover changes to be made.
Yeah but it was definitely the finished artwork - I asked him to take a photo of the back and spine too, and it's definitely the full artwork. The BFI logo is still on the spine though (along with the Fox logo).

Then I noticed the same thing is going on with the Otto Preminger Collection - no BFI logo on the front. My guess is either Fox have changed their stance (i.e. Paramount with Eureka), or there were some legal issues with these particular titles and the BFI were forced to omit it.

Still, not a major problem at all...it's just the first time the BFI haven't had their logo on the front of one of their releases (as far as I'm aware)!

EDIT: panic over...seems the BFI logo wasn't even on the front of the DVD releases some years back. So either it's the situation the BFI are in with regards to Fox (different to other UK distributors like Eureka and Arrow), or it's just a general stipulation when licensing this particular group of films.

Nadsat

#11 Post by Nadsat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:26 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#12 Post by swo17 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:00 pm

So the U.S. version is comparable to the Criterion but the presentation of the British version is superior in several respects. I haven't seen the British cut--how highly do people rate it?

What A Disgrace

#13 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Glad I held off on the Criterion. The BFI package looks like it decimates any single release done by Criterion this year, nevermind this one film.

joshua

#14 Post by joshua » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:03 pm

david hare wrote:And does anyone here still actually have a region locked player?
You'd be surprised. Take a look at the Rivette box thread.

GaryC

#15 Post by GaryC » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:27 am

I still have a region-locked Blu-ray player (which is all-regions for DVD) and that will probably be the case for another year at least.

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:58 am

I'm certainly under the impression that far more people are region-locked for Blu-ray than was the case with DVDs. Very very few of my real-world friends with BD players are region-free.

Lowry_Sam

#17 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:52 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'm certainly under the impression that far more people are region-locked for Blu-ray than was the case with DVDs. Very very few of my real-world friends with BD players are region-free.
I think that there are probably also many more people who are actually Blu-ray region-free and don't know it than there were w/ DVDs. My first Blu-ray player (a Panasonic) I picked up when Amazon had really significant discounts over other retailers in the lead up to Xmas. It was only after using it for 2 years that I discovered (on a forum) that there was a simple hack which allowed you to play other regions, after which I began buying discs without regard to region.

David M.

#18 Post by David M. » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:26 pm

If you're talking about the Top Menu button, that's not quite a region free player. Not everything works with that, it's just down to how Panasonic implements/interprets the BD spec.

frankiecrisp

#19 Post by frankiecrisp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:55 am

Anyone know why the release date has been changed I pre ordered from Amazon its now saying 3 weeks before they get stock.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#20 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:17 am

frankiecrisp wrote:Anyone know why the release date has been changed I pre ordered from Amazon its now saying 3 weeks before they get stock.
People found copies in retail stores, so the release date doesn't seem to have changed. I think they're just temporarily out of stock, very simply.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#21 Post by Caligula » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:41 am

For what it's worth, my copy shipped from Amazon.co.uk two days ago

frankiecrisp

#22 Post by frankiecrisp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:47 am

They are telling me its a limited edition they are not sure if will have anymore so much for pre ordering

Jonathan S

#23 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:03 am

I pre-ordered it six weeks ago from Amazon but mine hasn't dispatched either - haven't bothered to contact them but my order history claims it will "arrive 1 Oct - 3 Oct"... which seems unlikely! (I don't have Prime.)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#24 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:29 am

I just contacted customer service. Mine wasn't going to ship until later in this month when some other releases I also pre-ordered came out, but I just asked if they could break it apart from the rest of the order and ship now, and they said sure. Should ship next two days.

frankiecrisp

#25 Post by frankiecrisp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:49 am

Drucker wrote:I just contacted customer service. Mine wasn't going to ship until later in this month when some other releases I also pre-ordered came out, but I just asked if they could break it apart from the rest of the order and ship now, and they said sure. Should ship next two days.
I've just had another angry conversation with amazon it now seems this is down to BFI only delivered a small number of this limited edition to Amazon those who didn't get a copy looks like we will miss out pathetic from BFI