Satyajit Ray

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Satyajit Ray

#26 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:36 pm

Devi (Goddess) was pretty chilling -- a religious "horror" film somewhat like the later Himala (Miracle) of Bernal. Quite impressive -- but not a film I can imagine watching very often.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#27 Post by ando » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:05 am

Well, I guess tracking down a copy of Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne will be a task. I saw one of the two or three versions on YT, all of whcih are poor but tolerable. But what a wonderful ride - even if it was created for children. That aspect is part of its charm (the dark ghost makes meat and rice suddenly materialize for our musically gifted, but hapless duo to eat, but first they must wash their hands!).For those unfamiliar with this legendary story - and film - Goopy and Bagha are musicians and exiles from their respective kingdoms, banished for insulting their kings with bad performances. They meet in the forest, sing to scare away a tiger, but attract a powerful dark ghost who grants them three wishes - all of which start them on a path to becoming wildly famous. Contemporary Bollywood romps aren't half as fun.

Any marketplace suggestions?
Last edited by ando on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

chatterjees

#28 Post by chatterjees » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:53 am

The story was written by his own grandfather. The follow up to this film Hirak Rajar Deshe, a political satire, was also brilliant. I am eagerly waiting for a Criterion release, so that I can show it to my 3 years old. I do have this particular DVD, I guess I can just use the DVD to introduce my daughter to Ray's films :D

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#29 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:13 pm

Unfortunately the Ciematheque Francaise showed Goopy and Bagha at the same time as something else we were already scheduled to do. ;-)

Stefan Andersson

#30 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Two (1964) including restoration info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zACGLjd9JNY

Restoration info and David Shepard´s 1993 rundown on extant materials for Ray films:
http://satyajitrayworld.org/restoration ... estoration

L.A.

#31 Post by L.A. » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:42 am

Scroll.in has an interview with actor Dhritiman Chatterjee who talks about his role in Satyajit Ray’s Pratidwandi (1970) and about the director’s legacy in the year of his centenary.

L.A.

#32 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:23 am

Firstpost has an interesting piece on Joi Baba Felunath by Jai Arjun Singh.

Calvin

#33 Post by Calvin » Thu May 19, 2022 7:53 am

The National Film Archive of India has restored The Adversary, Hirak Rajar Deshe, Sonar Kella, and the short documentary Sukumar Ray in 4K. The restored The Adversary will premiere as part of Cannes Classics.

Calvin

#34 Post by Calvin » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:32 pm

The BFI Southbank is having a 2 month Ray retrospective, which includes a new 4K restoration of Distant Thunder

L.A.

#35 Post by L.A. » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:22 pm

Mira Nair in discussion of the restorations for Ray’s films.

kuzine

#36 Post by kuzine » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:47 pm

The unique universe of Satyajit Ray, about Ray's The Alien.