Maurice Tourneur

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Maurice Tourneur

#26 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:17 pm

AH -- Congratulations on the book!

As to Last of the Mohicans -- it does not appear that the new version (music by Mont Alto) has ever been released... (A great movie, btw).

Ann Harding

#27 Post by Ann Harding » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:14 am

My article about Alias Jimmy Valentine is on page 53 of the latest issue of Sight & Sound (Sept 2015). It's also available here.

RodneySauer

#28 Post by RodneySauer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:34 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:AH -- Congratulations on the book!

As to Last of the Mohicans -- it does not appear that the new version (music by Mont Alto) has ever been released... (A great movie, btw).
Yes. I know there are plans for a release, but things are slow. The new version with the Mont Alto score did run at least once on TCM, so some people have seen it; and we've played it live a few times. The restoration is lovely, with the art title card backgrounds painted by Maurice Tourneur himself, as I understand.

Ann Harding

#29 Post by Ann Harding » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:20 am

The Filmoteca de Catalunya in Barcelona is doing a Maurice Tourneur retrospective from April 4th. If you are around, I'll be presenting LA MAIN DU DIABLE on April 4th and THE BLUE BIRD on April 6th.

Ann Harding

#30 Post by Ann Harding » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:54 am

If you want to know more about Tourneur's silent career, you can watch my conference recorded for the Hippodrome Silent Film Festival (Bo'ness, Scotland):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMTooo70KUg

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#31 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:07 am

Ann -- Thank you so much for the link! I promise to watch this. ;-)

Ann Harding

#32 Post by Ann Harding » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:56 am

Great news! A long lost silent Tourneur has been rediscovered and is about to be restored. It's THE WHITE HEATHER (1919).
https://www.filmpreservation.org/blog/2 ... 023-grants
The San Francisco Silent Festival will preserve a fiction film long thought lost: The White Heather (1919), directed by Maurice Tourneur, one of the most highly regarded silent era filmmakers. The silent melodrama, which follows the suffering family of a dastardly aristocrat, has a supporting cast including John Gilbert, Gibson Gowland (Greed), and Ben Hamilton (Dragnet). It climaxes with an underwater fight shot in Los Angeles Harbor using the Williamson Submarine tube. Variety called the film “an absolute masterpiece” that stood out “on the strength of the thrills that the camera made possible and which could not be secured on the stage.”

Tuco

#33 Post by Tuco » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:12 pm

RodneySauer wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:52 pm
Hi, this is Rodney Sauer of the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra -- there is a plan to release The Last of the Mohicans along with two other films on Native American topics: The Vanishing American and The Silent Enemy (the last of which will also have our score, which we have played live in Arkansas, Colorado, and at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival). I can't yet say the label, but the rough schedule is some time in the next year or so.
A belated Happy 10th Anniversary to this post! I for one, am still waiting. I loved the DVD, even with the annoying synthesizer score. Lobster has released it, but only with French subtitles, I believe. Jus' wonderin'...