Philippe Garrel

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Ovader

Philippe Garrel

#1 Post by Ovader » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:15 pm

Philippe Garrel (1948-present)

Filmography

Une plume pour Carole (1962) - Intentionally destroyed by Garrel in 1970

Les Enfants désaccordés (1964) Re-voir

Droit de visite (1965)

Anémone (1966)

Marie pour mémoire (1967) Re-voir

Les Chemins perdus (1965-67) - Television (segments on The Who, Marianne Faithfull, a Donovan concert, Zouzou etc.)

Le Révélateur (1968) Re-voir

La Concentration (1968)

Actua 1 (1968) Re-voir

Le Lit de vierge (1969) Re-voir

La Cicatrice intérieure/The Inner Scar (1972) Why Not Productions / Re-voir

Athanor (1972)

Les Hautes solitudes (1974) Re-voir

Un ange passe (1975)

Le Berceau de cristal (1976)

Voyage au jardin des morts (1978)

Le Bleu des origines (1978)

L'Enfant secret (1979-1982) Re-voir

Liberté, la nuit (1983) Why Not Productions

Rue Fontaine (1984) mk2

Elle a passé tant d'heures sous les sunlights... (1985) Why Not Productions / Re-voir

Les Ministères de l'art (1988) - Television

Les Baisers de secours/Emergency Kisses (1989) Cahiers du cinéma / Zeitgeist Films

J'entends plus la guitare/I Can No Longer Hear The Guitar (1991) Cahiers du cinéma / Zeitgeist Films

La Naissance de l'amour (1993) Why Not Productions

Le Coeur fantôme (1995)

Le vent de la nuit (1999) Why Not Productions

Sauvage innocence (2001) Why Not Productions

Les Amants réguliers/Regular Lovers (2005) Curzon Artificial Eye / Zeitgeist Films

La Frontière de l'aube/Frontier of Dawn (2008) MPI Home Video

Un Été brûlant/A Burning Hot Summer (2011) Wild Bunch / MPI Home Video

La Jalousie/Jealousy (2013) Wild Bunch / Cinema Guild

L’Ombre des femmes/In The Shadow Of Women (2015) Wild Bunch / Icarus Films

L'Amant d'un jour/Lover For A Day (2017) Blaq Out / Zima Entertainment

Le Sel des larmes/The Salt Of Tears (2020) Wild Bunch / Distrib Films US

La Lune crevée/Le grand chariot/The Plough (2022) Wild Bunch

Forum Discussions

La Frontière de l'aube

Web Resources (Audio/Visual)

MUBI Page

Anémone

Un ange passe

Rue Fontaine

Part 1 and Part 2 of conversation between Serge Daney and Philippe Garrel after the release of Les Baisers de secours (no English subtitles)

Adrian Martin on L’Enfant secret

La Frontière de l'aube/Frontier of Dawn Cannes Film Page

Right and True: An Interview with Philippe Garrel

Philippe Garrel - Directors Dialogue - NYFF55

The Film Comment Podcast: Berlinale 2020 #1 (THE SALT OF TEARS segment starts at 22 minute mark) by Film Comment Editor in Chief Nicolas Rapold & FC Assistant Editor Devika Girish

Facebook Page *This page is not managed by Philippe Garrel himself.

Philippe Garrel Fans Facebook Group *Active Group.

The Experimental Films of Philippe Garrel Facebook Group *Inactive Group.

Articles

Liberté, la nuit by Jon Auman

PHILIPPE GARREL: MODERNITY'S SECRET CHILD by Philippe Azoury

A Life in the Theater: Philippe Garrel on Jealousy by Miriam Bale

L'Enfant Secret by Eric Barroso

Love Runs Its Bittersweet Course in the Films of Philippe Garrel by Ela Bittencourt

Early Garrel: The Holy Familiar by Uncas Blythe

Cinema of Secrets: An Interview with Philippe Garrel by Julia Bozzone

Philippe Garrel’s LA CONCENTRATION (1968) – Seeing Rare Films In The Present by Grant Bromley
Colloidal Images: The Silent Films of Philippe Garrel by Grant Bromley

Le Révelateur: Philippe Garrel, May ’68 and the Zanzibar group by Pip Chodorov

To Circle the Empty Space: Philippe Garrel’s Marie pour mémoire and Le bleu des origines by Gérard Courant

Philippe Garrel’s L’Enfant secret (1982) by Serge Daney

The Cost of Living: Philippe Garrel’s J’entends plus la guitare by Adrian Danks

Grace Notes: To Be Young and in Paris in 1968 by Manohla Dargis
A Family’s Films, Like No Home Movies You’ve Seen by Manohla Dargis
Mirrors of Love, Unapologetically Yours by Manohla Dargis
‘Les Hautes Solitudes,’ the Silent Sides of Jean Seberg (Mostly) by Manohla Dargis
A Man and a Woman (and Another Woman) in ‘Lover for a Day’ by Manohla Dargis

'L'Enfant Secret' by John DeFore

Stéphane Delorme on L'Enfant secret by Stéphane Delorme

‘Look at us in the mirror’: Art and Intimacy in Philippe Garrel’s Emergency Kisses (Les baisers des secours, 1989) by Joanna Di Mattia

Cannes 2015. Of Men and Bad Faith: Philippe Garrel's "In the Shadow of Women" by Marie-Pierre Duhamel

Philippe Garrel by Nicholas Elliott

Au revoir Chantal: Philippe Garrel Remembers Chantal Akerman
I MADE A FILM WITH JEAN SEBERG by Philippe Garrel

'The Birth of Love' by Stephen Holden

A French Director Who Turned the Experience of May ‘68 into Intimate Cinema by Craig Hubert

Philippe Garrel in New York by David Hudson
Hong and Garrel at the Berlinale by David Hudson

A Conversation with Philippe Garrel (Part 1) by Darren Hughes, Eric Hynes, Vadim Rizov
A Conversation with Philippe Garrel (Part 2) by Darren Hughes, Eric Hynes, Vadim Rizov
A Conversation with Philippe Garrel (Part 3) by Darren Hughes, Eric Hynes, Vadim Rizov
Berlinale 2020 Dispatch 2: The Salt of Tears, Siberia, Undine by Darren Hughes

A Life in Film: Philippe Garrel Talks About His Newest Work 'Jealousy' in Film Comment by Alexander Hunter

A Family Puts Itself Under the Lens by Eric Hynes

"Sad and Proud of It: The Films of Philippe Garrel" by Kent Jones

Right and True: An Interview with Philippe Garrel by Daniel Kasman
Cannes 2017. A Parisian Triangle—Philippe Garrel's "Lover for a Day" by Daniel Kasman

One Man's Love Life by Dave Kehr

The Everyday Fantasies of Philippe Garrel by Colleen Kelsey

NYFF51 Spotlight: Philippe Garrel Delves Into His Past in "Jealousy" by Julia Kennedy

The Crushed Romanticism of Philippe Garrel’s ‘L’Enfant Secret’ by Glenn Kenny

TIFF RETROSPECTIVE: FROM HIPPIE FILMMAKER TO REVERED 'UNDERRATED GENIUS,' PHILIPPE GARREL'S DRAMAS REFLECT LIFE by Liam Lacey

Philippe Garrel’s L’enfant secret (1979) by Peter Larkin

A Tale of Two Conferences: For Ever Godard and Garrel Éternel by Maximilian Le Cain
Voyeurism of the Soul: The Films of Philippe Garrel by Maximilian Le Cain

White of the Origins: LIBERTÉ, LA NUIT by Cristina Álvarez López
Foreplays #21: Watch Philippe Garrel’s “Rue Fontaine” by Cristina Álvarez López

"Philippe Garrel, The Early Years: The Light and the Dark" by Adrian Martin
"A cinema of intimate spectacle: the poetics of Philippe Garrel" by Adrian Martin
"Les hautes solitudes": A Film at Wit’s End by Adrian Martin
Garden of Stone: L’enfant secret (Philippe Garrel, 1982) by Adrian Martin
Spirits In The Night - A reply to Adrian Martin on Garrel's L'Enfant secret by Fergus Daly
J'entends plus la guitare by Adrian Martin
Sauvage innocence by Adrian Martin
Un été brûlant: Love and Art by Adrian Martin
Jealousy: Terms of Endearment by Adrian Martin
All Tomorrow’s Parties by Cristina Álvarez López and Adrian Martin
Video Essay. Walkers: A Motif in Philippe Garrel by Cristina Álvarez López and Adrian Martin
Fugitive variations: Philippe Garrel’s elliptical cinema of a life by Cristina Álvarez López and Adrian Martin
Lover for a Day by Cristina Álvarez López and Adrian Martin
Philippe Garrel: Portraits by Cristina Álvarez López and Adrian Martin
Philippe Garrel: Tell-Tale Heart by Cristina Álvarez López and Adrian Martin

Sauvage Innocence/Wild Innocence (2001): Directed by Philippe Garrel by Cillèin McEvoy
Regular Lovers/Les Amants réguliers (2005): Directed by Philippe Garrel by Cillèin McEvoy

J'entends plus la guitare: Elliptical Invocations by Tony McKibbin
Le vent de la nuit: Suicide and Silence by Tony McKibbin
Regular Lovers: Signifiers of Tenderness by Tony McKibbin
Frontier Dawn: Rest in Peace by Tony McKibbin
Speaking of the Dead (Garrel, Truffaut and Godard) by Tony McKibbin

Interior Exile: Close-Up on Philippe Garrel’s "L'enfant Secret" by Savina Petkova

*"RIDERS ON THE STORM: THE ZANZIBAR FILMS AND THE DANDIES OF MAY '68" by Andréa Picard
*On to Zanzibar: Philippe Garrel and the “Dandies of May ’68” by Andréa Picard *This essay was originally written for the TIFF Cinematheque retrospective of the Zanzibar Group films in Fall 2007.
This Time Tomorrow: The Zanzibar Films by Andréa Picard

WAVE AFTER WAVE by Tony Pipolo

Masculine Subjectivity and the Representation of Woman: the films of Philippe Garrel by Hilary Radner

“Africa is a Revolutionary Country”: Sally Shafto’s Zanzibar: The Zanzibar Films and the Dandies of May 1968 by Keith Reader

Jealousy or, What Does Philippe Garrel Want? by Vadim Rizov

Film of the Week: Les Hautes Solitudes by Jonathan Romney

The Birth Of Love by Jonathan Rosenbaum
Confessions Of An Opium Eater by Jonathan Rosenbaum
Voluptuous Defeat: Philippe Garrel and Les Amants réguliers by Jonathan Rosenbaum

Mirror Image by Michael Joshua Rowin

NYFF ’15: In The Shadow of Women and No Home Movie by Sarah Salovaara

Love May Not Be All You Need After All by A.O. Scott
Love and Unhappiness, in Soft Shades of Gray by A.O. Scott
‘In the Shadow of Women’ Focuses on the Female Sides of a Triangle by A.O. Scott

Heiress at the Revolution by Sally Shafto
The new, new wave by Sally Shafto

“My Production Costs the Same as a Digital Film”: Philippe Garrel on The Salt of Tears by Christopher Small

Le Révélateur and The Grandmother by Brad Stevens

Books

Philippe Garrel en substance by Philippe Azoury

Film: The Front Line 1984 by David Ehrenstein

Philippe Garrel, une esthétique de la survivance by Thibault Grasshoff

Philippe Garrel by Michael Leonard

Une caméra à la place du coeur by Philippe Garrel and Thomas Lescure

The Legacy of the New Wave in French Cinema by Douglas Morrey

Traiettorie dello sguardo: Il cinema di Philippe Garrel by RosaMaria Salvatore

Les films ZANZIBAR et les dandys de Mai 1968/The ZANZIBAR Films and the Dandies of May 1968 by Sally Shafto

Monographie "Philippe Garrel" N°24 de la Collection Théâtres au cinéma Bobigny 2013

Philippe Garrel - L'Enfant secret by Serge Daney, Philippe Garrel, Adrian Martin and Alain Philippon
Last edited by Ovader on Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 133 times in total.

Lino

La Cicatrice interieure

#2 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:14 pm

mingus wrote:News regarding a possible R2 DVD in 2005:

Rarovideo:
Okay, LA CICATRICE INTERIEURE was supposed to be on the forthcoming DVD title THE VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO + VINYL but there are problems with rights which (currently) can not be solved in time for our DVD release so we have had to leave it out. However, there may be a possibility that this title can be released next year.
What confirms this and let's it look even more possible:
Recently restored or new prints that screened at Cannes in May include La Cicatrice intérieure (restored by the Cinémathèque francaise) -- source

So let's hope for the best. I for my part cancelled my order of the existing R2 DVD from Japan, which is reported to have a bad transfer and burnt-in japanese subtitles.

some teasers for the unacquainted:

ImageImage
These pics look great! I keep reading about this french director and I wouldn't mind picking this particular film up - I believe it's his most famous. What is the film about, anyway?

mingus

La Cicatrice interieure

#3 Post by mingus » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:57 am

Annie Mall wrote:What is the film about, anyway?
That's really hard to say. Ultimately it's about relationship. (sorry, i can't be more specific - but story isn't the important factor here) Philippe Garrel despises most of his early works for relying foremost on images as opposed to telling a story. He may be right that this film hasn't much to "say" (in a straightforward kind of way), but it also never left my mind after seeing it for the first time* at the Vienna International Filmfestival in 1995 (he even attended the screening). That also has to say something about a work of art. One simply doesn't forget Nico's moaning and all the beautifully shot landscapes.

"La cicatrice interi�ure"(with Nico) and "Les hautes solitudes"(with Jean Seberg) are among the most haunting(in a good way) cinema experiences of my life. I 'll never forget that day in 1995 and the atmosphere. I hate directors who think they have grown past their early work and try everything to suppress it from the, at least, video watching public.

mikebowes

Les Amants reguliers (Garrel, 2005)

#4 Post by mikebowes » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:54 pm

from MK2 in May. Pray for subtitles. I wasn't able to find any info on MK2's website yet.

peerpee
not perpee

Les Amants reguliers

#5 Post by peerpee » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:27 pm

davidhare wrote:Very unlikely. MK2 NEVER do English subs.
They've done English subs a number of times... Kiarostami's THE WIND WILL CARRY US, the Bresson boxset, etc.

They are very hit and miss though (with regard to including English subtitles).

tavernier

#6 Post by tavernier » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:40 pm

MK2 has also put subs on all of its Truffaut discs (only on some extras), its great 80s Resnais boxset (not on extras), two out of four films in its Pintilie boxed set, along with Pintilie's THE OAK and AN UNFORGETTABLE SUMMER (not on extras), and several Chabrol titles (not on extras).
The moral? Maybe subs on film, but probably not extras.

brunosh

#7 Post by brunosh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:08 am

The brochure for this month's French Film Festival touring in the UK shows Artificial Eye as UK distributor for Les Amants réguliers and so an English-subtitled DVD should appear in due course even if the MK2 has none.

Dylan

Les Amants reguliers

#8 Post by Dylan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:36 pm

Anybody find out if the Mk2 releaseof Les Amants reguliers has English subtitles? If it doesn't, Brunosh's post certainly seems hopeful that Artifical Eye will get on it by the end of the year.

Jeff LeVine

Les Amants reguliers

#9 Post by Jeff LeVine » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:53 pm

Direct from the mk2 website...
Language : Original version in french
Subtitles : no
Audio : Stereo

DVD1
Préface de Philippe Azoury - 4'
La bande-annonce du film - 3'
DVD2
Zanzibar, Un documentaire de Jackie Raynal sur Zanzibar, le mouvement artistique né de Mai 68 - 26'
6 Cinématons de Gérard Courant : 6 portraits muets filmés mettant en scène : Philippe Garrel, Daniel Pommereulle, Jackie Raynal, Patrick Deval, Frédéric Pardo et Serge Bard - 21'
Vite, moyen métrage de Daniel Pommereulle - 33'
Festival de Venise 2005 : Conférence de presse et interviews de Clotilde Hesme et Louis Garrel - 55'

Dylan

Les Amants reguliers

#10 Post by Dylan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:20 pm

Eh. Artificial Eye it is then.

brunosh

#11 Post by brunosh » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:20 pm

For what it's worth, the other films in the French festival I mentioned above which are listed as to be distributed by AE are Moll's Lemming and Ozon's Time to Leave (both opening in London next month) and Le Peron's I Saw Ben Barka Get Killed.

Films listed to other UK distributors (and so a fair bet for English-subtitled R2 DVDs) are 36 Quai des Orfevres (the remake), Cockles and Muscles (also opening next month - looks ghastly judging, probably unfairly, by the trailer I saw today before The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada), Tanovic's Hell, Russian Dolls, Zilbermann's Bad Spelling, Techine's Strayed (opened in London last month), Giannoli's An Adventure and My Angel.

brunosh

#12 Post by brunosh » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:14 am

UK release of Regular Lovers is now up for pre-order at some UK e-tailers for release on 23 October 2006.

hellboytr

Garrel's Le Lit de la Vierge

#13 Post by hellboytr » Thu May 25, 2006 4:48 am

Garrel's Le Lit de la Vierge (1969) [The Virgin's Bed] has recently been released on DVD by re:voir :D I think it is the first Zanzibar film ever on DVD in the west...
LE LIT DE LA VIERGE (The Virgin's Bed)
Directed by Philippe Garrel
France 1969, 35mm, b/w, 114 min.
With Pierre Clementi, Zouzou, Tina Aumont

Born in 1948, Philippe Garrel was the wunderkind of French cinema in the 1960s. His fifth feature, Le Lit de la Vierge, is a parable about Jesus set in modern times. Shot in the aftermath of the uprisings of May 1968, the film reverberates with the rebellious spirit of that period. Pierre ClŽmenti plays a Christ reluctant to assume his earthly mission, while the Virgin Mary (Zouzou, doubly cast as Mary Magdalene) attempts to reconcile him with his duty. Garrel invokes the Christian narrative only to reject a strict retelling in a chronicle that is episodic and nonlinear. In naming his characters Mary and Jesus, Garrel reminds us of the contestatory attitude of the '68 generation, for whom Jesus was a hippie avant la lettre. Made without a script and under the in3Ú4uence of LSD, Le Lit de la Vierge is minimally concerned with traditional religion. It does, however, suggest the ways in which Garrel and his friends saw themselves as belonging to a kind of religious sect, engaging in ritual behavior.
For an interesting article on Zanzibar group, see here. I don't know whether there are English subtitles or not, but i have heard that the film's dialogue is minimal in any case... The DVD can be ordered from revoir's site

pro-bassoonist

#14 Post by pro-bassoonist » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:37 am

Philippe Garrel's Les Amants Reguliers a.k.a Regular Lovers is now set for October 23 UK release (MK2 port). Winner of the 2006 Cesar Award for Most Promising Actor (Louis Garrel).

acquarello

#15 Post by acquarello » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:29 am

It's not a bad idea to consolidate these posts into FilmFanSea's release calendar, which is stickied.

I don't know if Louis Garrel's César would be the reason to see this film as much as Garrel's methodical direction. It's the most honest illustration of the May 68 fallout that I've seen apart from Eustache.

Arn777

#16 Post by Arn777 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:34 am

While we are on Garrel, Cahiers du Cinema will release (in september I guess) J'entends plus la guitare/Les baisers de secours. No words on english subs yet.

Le Feu Follet

#17 Post by Le Feu Follet » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:36 am

It's the most honest illustration of the May 68 fallout that I've seen apart from Eustache.
Alain Tanner's 'Jonah, Who Will be 25 in the Year 2000', sadly somewhat forgetten now, is also a strong contender among '68 fallout' films.

King of Kong

#18 Post by King of Kong » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:31 am

Le Feu Follet wrote:
It's the most honest illustration of the May 68 fallout that I've seen apart from Eustache.
Alain Tanner's 'Jonah, Who Will be 25 in the Year 2000', sadly somewhat forgetten now, is also a strong contender among '68 fallout' films.
I was going to see this film last night, but was called away at the last minute to a meeting. Any good?

Don Lope de Aguirre

#19 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:30 am

I was going to see this film last night, but was called away at the last minute to a meeting. Any good?
By 'this film' you mean Les Amants Reguliers ?

Well...you may find it worth seeing for 'Garrel's methodical direction' and/or for William Lubtchanski's glorious photography...

I for one was very impressed with both. The film itself? I think it would greatly benefit from losing approx. 60 mins. I really don't see this as a film that will be remembered in 5 years time (or even 2 for that matter) but i think it's best if you see it for yourself and make up your own mind as I imagine this film has its supporters (even if i'm not sure entirely why...)

Matt

#20 Post by Matt » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:49 am

There's an article on Philippe Garrel in the new (August) Sight & Sound. I didn't know he had made films with Nico (who was his longtime lover). I don't suppose there are any Garrel films on DVD with English subs, are there?

dadaistnun

#21 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:57 am

I didn't know he had made films with Nico (who was his longtime lover).
There's a clip from The Inner Scar in Nico-Icon. The cover of Desertshore also comes from that film.

There's a Japanese dvd but I have no idea if it has subtitles or is even still in print.

Image[/img]

Gropius

#22 Post by Gropius » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:01 am

I saw it as well, and thought it was about as tedious as Bertolucci's 'The Dreamers': short on political substance, long on photogenic youthful poseurs smoking opium for hours on end. There is something incredibly ersatz about both films: a failed attempt to 'recreate' a period too literally, with a cast closer to fashion models than revolutionaries. I kept thinking that for the 'spirit of 68' on film, one should just return to the Godard leading up to that point ('2 ou 3 choses...', 'La Chinoise', 'Week End'). Or maybe we just have to wait for a 68-themed film with more grit and less Louis Garrel.

fred

#23 Post by fred » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:35 pm

There's a Japanese dvd but I have no idea if it has subtitles or is even still in print.
I don't know if it's in print, but it has only machine generated, forced Japanese subtitles. But this film has never been subtitled in English. The restored print shown recently in New York was unsubbed. The dialogue is extremely minimal, perhaps 15 lines in the entire film. Some is in English, a small amount in German and a bit in French. The DVD also fogs Clementi's genitals, but other than that it's basically fine. Not to be missed if you ever have the (all too rare) opportunity to see this on film.

Arn777

#24 Post by Arn777 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:08 pm

I said it before but one of the 2 Cahiers du Cinema DVD has English subs, the one with Naissance de l'amour & Sauvage Innocence. The latter one is another rehash of his story with Nico, but I find it incredibly moving. See my post above for 2 other garrel films released in September.

backstreetsbackalright

#25 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:51 pm

Arn777 wrote:I said it before but one of the 2 Cahiers du Cinema DVD has English subs, the one with Naissance de l'amour & Sauvage Innocence. The latter one is another rehash of his story with Nico, but I find it incredibly moving. See my post above for 2 other garrel films released in September.
Unfortunately, as of May 2006 Cahiers couldn't sell their DVDs to us Yanks unless we can wire transfer the funds to them, which was expensive enough to scare me off but good!