Federico Fellini

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Dylan

Re: Federico Fellini

#151 Post by Dylan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:51 pm

J Adams wrote:Wouldn't want this with the Italian dub of Sutherland.
Like all Italian films featuring American/British stars in lead roles - The Leopard being a very good example - it's a toss up. You either watch the English dub with the lead actor doing the real voice and the rest of the cast dubbed, or the Italian track with the lead actor dubbed but everybody else speaking their own language. Fellini's Casanova being the bizarre film that it is, I think it works both ways, but I'm surprised Universal didn't offer the English track.

Ovader

#152 Post by Ovader » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:03 pm

After all these years I did some searching online for the Journey To Tulum project as mention here by me and by Dylan resulting in this video teaser on Vimeo. The link does not work but I came across their Facebook Page and their Twitter account which seems to have been abandoned since July 2011 but I thought some people may be interested to learn more of this project in spite of the delayed status.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#153 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Ovader wrote:After all these years I did some searching online for the Journey To Tulum project as mention here by me and by Dylan resulting in this video teaser on Vimeo. The link does not work but I came across their Facebook Page and their Twitter account which seems to have been abandoned since July 2011 but I thought some people may be interested to learn more of this project in spite of the delayed status.
I know I mentioned it somewhere else on the forum, but the illustrated articles you mentioned in that first link are currently available in a very nice quality hardcover edition from Dark Horse Comics. Note that these have been translated into English, and the original Italian isn't contained in the volume.

antnield

#154 Post by antnield » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Stefan Andersson

#156 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:16 am

Amarcord, restored, to screen at this year´s Venice Film Festival:
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/ve ... ntID=42422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lemmy Caution

#157 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Has anyone been to the Fellini Museum in Rimini?

Hmm, it seems it might have closed a few years ago.

Toby Dammit

#158 Post by Toby Dammit » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Next year is the centennial of Federico Fellini's birth and Criterion Technical Director Lee Kline shared in Home Theater Forum Podcast news about how Italian owners are working on restorations of many of the films. Maybe we can wait for a big box-set in 2020.

I just want to discuss which titles could be included, realistically speaking. I understand that a "Complete Fellini" is impossible, because of the rights issues.
Undoubtedly we can wait for:

I Vitelloni - Criterion
La Strada - Criterion
La Dolce Vita - Criterion
8 1/2 - Criterion
Juliet of the Spirits - Criterion
Satyricon - Criterion
Roma - Criterion
Amarcord - Criterion
And The Ship Sails On - Criterion

in a second place:
Variety lights - Criterion OOP
The White Sheik - Criterion OOP
Le Notti di Cabiria - Criterion OOP

FrauBlucher

#159 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:56 pm

It’s going to be very exciting to get his films upgraded. Even the older blurays to have them restored to 4k/2k. It will be interesting to see how they navigate all the rights’ questions for a potential box. I wonder if it would be easier to do period boxes for Fellini. Almost like Eclipse series of his films on blu.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#160 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Since Criterion and Cohen appear to have a friendly relationship, City of Women seems plausible. Raro strikes me as a label happy to take money for anything, so they’d prob relinquish the Clowns with minimal prodding as well

FrauBlucher

#161 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:03 pm

The thing to worry about with so many rights holders is some rights going away at some point. That would suck

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#162 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:09 pm

Honestly, I have so many gaps filled by Arrow and MoC already that this doesn't appeal to me much outside of upgrading the Masina films to Blu, or I guess freeing up some shelf space

Toby Dammit

#163 Post by Toby Dammit » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 pm

And what about the short films?

"Un Agenzia Matrimoniale" from "L' Amore in Citta"
"Le tentazioni del dottor Antonio" from "Boccaccio '70"
"Toby Dammit" from "Spirits of the Dead"

They could be included in a single disc, without the episodes of other directors

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#164 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:38 pm

The first is on Raro's Clowns BD, so is presumably wrapped up in the same rights. The second is with Kino so I wouldn't count on it. The third I don't know but I'm happy with my Arrow release.

dwk

#165 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Criterion/Janus has Spirits of the Dead

Roscoe

#166 Post by Roscoe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:42 pm

And IL BIDONE just ran on TCM with the Criterion and Janus logos.

Toby Dammit

#167 Post by Toby Dammit » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:45 am

Then, only are missing

Fellini's Casanova (1976)
Orchestra Rehearsal (1978
Ginger and Fred (1986)
Intervista (1987)
The Voice of the Moon (1990)

From that group I think Casanova and Ginger&Fred are really essential.
In fact, Casanova is one of the titles that I most want to have in the collection

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#168 Post by soundchaser » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am

Arrow has put out US releases of Orchestra Rehearsal and Voice of the Moon, but it's conceivable they could still be part of a set. The Serpent's Egg was in the Bergman set, and Arrow has a US release of that one. Casanova seems to be with Universal, so probably no trouble there. Ginger & Fred is a Warner title, so again a possibility. Not sure who currently has the rights to Intervista; Koch Lorber put out the DVD years ago.

Big Ben

#169 Post by Big Ben » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:52 am

Casanova is one of those films that really needs to be seen be believed. Deliriously surreal. Probably my favorite Fellini. Oh and the sets you guys. The sets.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#170 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:00 pm

If Kino Lorber has the rights to Intervista, we can prob forget dreams of a complete set. They’re the only boutique label I can think of that would likely not find a way to work with Criterion, and indeed would probably turn around and brag about saying no

dwk

#171 Post by dwk » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 pm

IMDB (I know) has the US rights as being with Castle Hill Productions. If that is accurate, it is now owned by Shout Factory via their purchase of Westchester FIlms.

Toby Dammit

#172 Post by Toby Dammit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 pm

The restorations in Venice Classics this year will include, among many others, Lo sceicco bianco (The White Sheik) by Federico Fellini, presented with a view towards the 100th anniversary of the director' birth in 2020

https://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/20 ... hite-sheik

filmyfan

#174 Post by filmyfan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:55 am

Lowry_Sam

#175 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 pm

If something should transpire, I do hope we get better editions of La Dolce Vita & 8 1/2.