Dario Argento

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
dwk

Re: Dario Argento

#51 Post by dwk » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:01 am

According to a post over at the Blu-ray.com forum, Troy Howarth hinted that he has recorded a commentary track for Four Flies on Grey Velvet. According to the Kino insider, there is a rights dispute in the US between Paramount and Surf film, but I can definitely see Severin trying to slip this one past the goalie (like they did with their short lived Cruel Jaws release.)

Edited to add that the Blu-ray.com poster clarified that Howath's hint was months ago.

Matt

Dario Argento

#52 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:43 am

mrb404 wrote:These can't be different restorations that the ones that have been just released on UHD by Arrow, Synapse and Blue Underground... or are they?
That was my thought, too. I feel like I’ve seen “new restoration” trumpeted so often for some of these films that I imagine the negatives just being rushed in a taxi cab from one restoration house to another, digital cleanup workstations smoking from overuse, label heads shouting “Stop the presses! We’ve got a new transfer fresh off the wire!”

EXTRA! New Bird with the Crystal Plumage restoration makes all the last six restorations you bought look like total garbage! Resale value of every previous edition now nil!

dwk

#53 Post by dwk » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:53 am

The restorations aren't all new, the Suspiria one they are screening is the incorrectly timed one that was released on Blu-ray/UHD in Europe. If possible, they really should swap that out for the DCP that Synapse created.

mrb404

#54 Post by mrb404 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:14 pm

dwk wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:51 pm
Since this thread got bumped I wanted to mention that Alan Jones tweeted that he shot interviews for US UHD releases of 5 Argento titles that are going to be announced in August.
Severin has been tweeting Argento related content:

an Argento pin: https://twitter.com/PixelElixir/status/ ... R0WvnBMMCA
2 different bundles coming up at the Black Friday Sale: https://twitter.com/SeverinFilms/status ... R0WvnBMMCA

I guess those 5 Argento UHDs are about to drop...

Maltic

#55 Post by Maltic » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:27 pm

Has any other director gotten as much love from the cult/boutique labels? Makes sense in a lot of ways, of course: The films, his fanbase (also among prolific extras-providers), etc.

therewillbeblus

#56 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:48 pm

His movies look gorgeous so as long as the rights and materials are accessible, UHD-upgrades seem like a no-brainer business move. I'm mostly surprised that Malick's work hasn't been upgraded to UHD yet

black&huge

#57 Post by black&huge » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:23 pm

I hope Opera is one of them

dwk

#58 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:30 pm

I know Severim has The Five Days of Milan, which doesn't seem like a big enough one for a UHD, but what do I know. Give how fast that Scorpion lost the rights to City of the Living Dead, it wouldn't surprise me if they lost the four Argento's they released on Blu-ray(Opera, The Phantom of the Opera, Sleepless, and The Card Player) and that Severin picked them up.

dwk

#59 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:54 pm

Well call me Jon Snow, because I clearly no nothing as Severin has announced a UHD for The Five Day of Milan

Disc 1: UHD
*Exclusive Slip case
*Audio Commentary With Troy Howarth, Author Of Murder By Design: The Unsane Cinema Of Dario Argento, and Mondo Digital's Nathaniel Thompson
*Trailer
Disc 2: Blu-ray
*Audio Commentary With Troy Howarth, Author Of Murder By Design: The Unsane Cinema Of Dario Argento, and Mondo Digital's Nathaniel Thompson
*Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution — Interview With Director Dario Argento
*The Battle For Freedom — Interview With Screenwriter Luigi Cozzi
*For The First Time — Interview With Executive Producer Claudio Argento
*An Italian Story — Interview With Actress Carla Tatò
*Home Delivery — Interview With Actress Luisa De Santis
*174 Years Ago — Interview With Production Manager Angelo Iacono
*Dario Argento: The Man, The Myths & The Magic Author Alan Jones on THE FIVE DAYS
*Trailer
*TV Spots
*Disc 3: CD
"Giorgio Gaslini For Dario Argento", featuring the full soundtrack for THE FIVE DAYS plus two tracks from DOOR INTO DARKNESS and seven tracks from DEEP RED.
Feature Specs for THE FIVE DAYS:
*Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
*Audio: Italian Mono
*Subtitles: English
*Region: UHD: N/A, Blu: A

Maltic

#60 Post by Maltic » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:07 pm

When it comes to Argento, nothing is not big enough for UHD :)

colinr0380

#61 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:44 pm

Whilst it is Argento's most uncharacteristic directed film (though of course he is one of the credited contributors to the Once Upon A Time In The West script), The Five Days of Milan is the most elusive Argento, so is probably sure to get people who already have their fill of all the other titles in multiple editions looking to pick this one up for the first time.

(I cannot really remember how these Black Friday announcements work. Do they get a 'normal' release a few months down the line after being available through their website?)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#62 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:21 pm

There have been a few titles that were only available during the sale, but most titles do get wide releases.

dwk

#63 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:45 am

Severin has announced Fourr Flies on Grey Velvet UHD as their last Blaxk Friday title. It is a limited edition site exclusive 4-disc set(movie on UHD and Blu-ray, special feature Blu-ray and soundtrack CD.) Since there is a rights dispute between Paramount and the Italian owners, I would suggest picking this up, because who knows how long 'til it goes the way of Cruel Jaws.