Anthony Mann

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
matrixschmatrix

Re: Anthony Mann

#26 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:17 am

There's a fantastic Jimmy Stewart Western box set that has Winchester and two other Mann Westerns- the Far Country and Bend of the River- in pretty excellent prints. While I generally cross my fingers a little harder for stuff that's in crappy shape, if all three of those come out on Blu, I'll be a happy man.

connor

#27 Post by connor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Anyone heard anything about the new Reign of Terror/The Black Book "Film Chest Restored Version" currently for-sale at Amazon? Trying to figure out if it is, indeed, the uncut, uncensored version.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:24 pm

I only see this listing, which is a DVD. These are the guys responsible for some notoriously bad PD Blu-rays like The Stranger and Kansas City Confidential. If this release looks any good, then it's probably just a copy of the nice restoration available on the Sony MOD DVD.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Actually, Film Chest's Blu-ray of the Red House is decent (especially for a film with no good release anywhere). As far as I can recall all others are to be avoided, though

Jack Phillips

#30 Post by Jack Phillips » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Their recent release of The Strange Woman looks pretty good.

Feego

#31 Post by Feego » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Beaver on Film Chest's The Black Book -- Gary calls it as "disastrous."

misterjunior

#32 Post by misterjunior » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:40 am

I'm in the midst of watching or re-watching everything from Mann that I've been able to get my hands on. Tonight it was Side Street, from 1950, which I must say I enjoyed quite a bit. Mann always uses locations well and the use of authentic NYC locales for this movie worked well -- I found it to be a nice glimpse of the city as it existed at the time. I also thought the film was extraordinarily well paced. Really about the only negative thing I could say about it would involve the narration, which might actually be more tolerable if it appeared more frequently because, as it is, it pops up so sporadically that it's almost startling at times. That's really a minor gripe, though, and certainly didn't impact my overall enjoyment of the movie too severely. The car chase at the end was definitely a highlight, also.

Also on a Mann-related note I emailed Jon Mulvaney recently asking if there were any plans to release any additional Mann titles and/or give The Furies a blu-ray upgrade and surprisingly he wrote back (the next day!). Unfortunately it was to tell me that no, there aren't any plans for new titles or a Furies upgrade in the near future.

So far for this project I've watched all the westerns with Jimmy Stewart, Man of the West, The Tin Star, T-Men, Border Incident, Raw Deal, Men in War, The Furies, The Tall Target and Devil's Doorway. Next up I'm planning to watch either Reign of Terror/The Black Book or El Cid, the former of which I've never seen and the latter of which I haven't seen since I was a kid and my dad rented the VHS from the library.

zedz

#33 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Of the films you haven't seen yet, The Black Book is by far the greatest. The 60s epics are excellent examples of their type (Mann is one of the few directors who can still make violence personal when working on that scale), but I find it hard to get enthusiastic about them compared to his tougher, leaner works of the late 40s and 50s.

The next best film is his uncredited work on He Walked by Night. Who knows how much is him , how much is Werker, and how much is Alton, but it's a fantastic noir at any rate. You won't regret it. And don't overlook the missing 50s western The Last Frontier, which is pretty damn good, even if it generally gets lost in the scuffle of masterpieces.

The early (pre-T-Men) work is all formative, but generally competent and occasionally inspired. Their problem tends to lie with ridiculous or banal scripts, with Mann doing his best to make everything work. I wouldn't cross the road to avoid any of them. There is a good BluRay of Strangers in the Night out, with various other titles from that period available on decent to terrible DVDs.

warren oates

#34 Post by warren oates » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:12 pm

I'd agree with zedz about the noirs, but not The Last Frontier -- great potential but for me probably his worst Western other than Cimarron -- or the late epics. El Cid is totally worth seeing and I'd rate The Heroes of Telemark higher The Fall of the Roman Empire.

misterjunior

#35 Post by misterjunior » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks, zedz and warren oates, for your suggestions/input. I have access to all of those titles mentioned so I'll definitely watch soon and post some thoughts. Everything I've read about The Black Book makes it sound very interesting, so I think I'll go ahead and watch that one tonight; that way I can watch another movie after or before if I'm so inclined, whereas El Cid would gobble up my whole night.

Can anyone tell me about A Dandy in Aspic? I know Mann passed during the making of it, but is it worth a watch? It's $17 for the DVD on Amazon, which is a little more than I'd like to spend on a blind buy during Criterion Sale Season, but I'm intent on seeing everything by Mann that I can get my hands on.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:39 pm

And I love both the Last Frontier and Cimarron! A Dandy in Aspic is okay and of a piece of a lot of the international cinema trends of the sixties-- foreign castings and locations rubbing elbows with Hollywood stars. It's okay, I probably got my five dollars worth from the R2 DVD

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#37 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:44 pm

misterjunior wrote:Everything I've read about The Black Book makes it sound very interesting, so I think I'll go ahead and watch that one tonight
Which version of The Black Book do you have? Anything before this version looks dreadful.

Altair

#38 Post by Altair » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:53 am

The Last Frontier, I think, should be seen by any one interested in Mann and in particular his Westerns. While not to the standard of his Stewart collaborations in the genre, it still has much to fascinate (and one of Victor Mature's best performances, if you can take that as a recommendation!).

mteller

#39 Post by mteller » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:54 am

Agree with zedz, and would add that The Great Flamarion and Strange Impersonation are worth a look, although definitely not top-tier Mann.

HerrSchreck

#40 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:25 pm

hearthesilence

#41 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:16 pm

The Man from Laramie is a wonderfully directed film and certainly makes me appreciate Mann even more, but a few loose threads in this film are a bit surprising. Most seem related to Cathy O'Donnell's character, so much that I wonder if her character had a lot more written, only to have much of that material lost in re-writes or editing. Still an excellent film - the compositions alone are masterful - but considering how rich and thoroughly detailed The Naked Spur and Man of the West depicted every major character and relationship, The Man from Laramie seems a bit uneven in comparison.

hearthesilence

#42 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:59 pm

New DCP of Winchester '73 screening at MoMA on Wed., Oct. 27 at 1 p.m. (ugh) as part of their ongoing "Modern Matinees" (this month focusing on Tony Curtis). According to the fine print:

"This will be the first New York screening of the new 4K restoration of this classic, produced by Universal and the Film Foundation."

ChunkyLover

#43 Post by ChunkyLover » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:20 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:59 pm
New DCP of Winchester '73 screening at MoMA on Wed., Oct. 27 at 1 p.m. (ugh) as part of their ongoing "Modern Matinees" (this month focusing on Tony Curtis). According to the fine print:

"This will be the first New York screening of the new 4K restoration of this classic, produced by Universal and the Film Foundation."
I'm surprised that will be the first time showing in New York considering that DCP has been kicking around for a few years now. I saw the 4K restoration in 2019 at the Maine International Film Festival.

hearthesilence

#44 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:50 am

They posted something similar about a screening of Da 5 Bloods being a premiere and someone here corrected them, so maybe they're just mistaken again?

Actually, if I was bold, I could *probably* sneak out to watch this, but I'd have to run to the lobby every 15 or 20 minutes to make sure nothing was amiss at work. (Phone signals suck at MoMA.)

FrauBlucher

#45 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:41 pm

misterjunior wrote:
Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:40 am
I'm in the midst of watching or re-watching everything from Mann that I've been able to get my hands on. Tonight it was Side Street, from 1950, which I must say I enjoyed quite a bit. Mann always uses locations well and the use of authentic NYC locales for this movie worked well -- I found it to be a nice glimpse of the city as it existed at the time. I also thought the film was extraordinarily well paced. Really about the only negative thing I could say about it would involve the narration, which might actually be more tolerable if it appeared more frequently because, as it is, it pops up so sporadically that it's almost startling at times. That's really a minor gripe, though, and certainly didn't impact my overall enjoyment of the movie too severely. The car chase at the end was definitely a highlight, also.
Side Street was on TCM's Noir Alley this morning. Muller explained that the narration was tinkered with and re-written in spots by the studio, although he said he can't imagine Dore Schary had anything to do with it.

I live just a few blocks from Marie's Crisis Cafe in Greenwich Village which was in the film. It's amazing it's still in business and looks very much the same.