Jean-Luc Godard

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
htdm

#51 Post by htdm » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:10 am

Oedipax wrote:When did the Japanese Histoire(s) come out?
This was released in 2001 (with only Japanese subs).

hellboytr

#52 Post by hellboytr » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:33 pm

I have just got my "Ici et ailleurs" DVD. Here are some screenshots for the interested:

duane hall

Sauve qui peut (la vie) (Jean-Luc Godard, 1980)

#53 Post by duane hall » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:27 pm

A new 35mm print of Godard's Sauve qui peut la vie plays at the Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago on Friday, January 13, 6:00 pm and Tuesday, January 17, 6:00 pm. Its being shown as part of an Isabelle Huppert retrospective.

Hopefully this'll soon circulate to other film centers and ultimately DVD.

justeleblanc

#54 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:49 pm

A new 35mm print of Godard's Sauve qui peut la vie plays at the Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago
Great news!!!! Is it a New Yorker title?

ka mai

#55 Post by ka mai » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:03 am

A new 35mm print of Godard's Sauve qui peut la vie plays at the Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago
I really appreciate the heads up Duane, I will definitely be checking this out on Tuesday. I had never heard of this but am really looking forward to it after reading this Dave Kehr capsule.

I've probably seen about a dozen Godard films now and at this point I feel like each one is better than the last, enriching and enriched by the one's I had seen before it. I have really enjoyed the 70's Godards I have seen (Tout Va Bien, Ici et ailleurs, Comment ca va?) and films from his most recent stage, but haven't seen anything in between (80's, early 90's). I have been very curious to see how the progression from films like Comment Ca Va? to a film like Notre Musique took place. Judging by the Kehr capsule this looks like the perfect place for me to start filling in that gap. Any thoughts or comments from someone familiar with this film?

Oedipax

#56 Post by Oedipax » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:11 am

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing this one yet, but I do have it preordered from Benson's World (Artificial Eye is putting it out later this month). Hopefully it's as good as their release of Weekend.

Edit: One possible point of concern - does anyone know the OAR? AE lists the DVD as being 16x9 enhanced, and from what I understand the vast majority of Godard's post-68 work is ideally framed for 1.37:1, although it has been projected otherwise. The stills from the film in Colin MacCabe's bio are 1.37:1 as well, damn.

Kirkinson

#57 Post by Kirkinson » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:12 am

It's terribly frustrating that I can't make either of these screenings, but that's how things go.

The aspect ratio is subject to argument. James Quandt and others are pretty confident that all of Godard's work from the late 70's onward is 1.37 (though Godard himself told Quandt that In Praise of Love should be 1.66) even though, as Oedipax said, many of them were not projected this way upon release. I haven't been able to find anything concrete about this particular film. Artificial Eye's VHS (which I have seen on DVD-R) was full frame and everything looked perfectly composed to me. But the e-mail I received from Artificial Eye in regards to their Weekend disc shows that they really do their homework when it comes to uncertainties like this, so if they're sure about this then I would give it a shot. If anyone here attends the Film Center screening I'd be interested to know how they chose to project it. They seem pretty meticulous most of the time.

This isn't one of my favorite Godard films, but it's certainly enjoyable and it's indispensable if you're trying to get a good handle on the progression of his style. On its own it's an interesting and often funny examination of different sorts of sexual relationships and how people respond differently to change (or change internally as a result of external stagnation). I only watched it once and it's been a while, so there's a lot I can't recall too particularly. The score is one of the strangest for a Godard film -- synth strings and tinkling new age electric piano, it often sounds like elevator music, until the very last shot of the film when Godard and Gabriel Yared (this was his first score) do something really unexpected and (I thought) hilarious with it.

New bit of info on the aspect ratio. AE's 4:3 VHS release was not open matte but pan-and-scan.

VHS:

DVD:

zedz

#58 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:25 pm

New bit of info on the aspect ratio. AE's 4:3 VHS release was not open matte but pan-and-scan.
Interesting. Surely this comparison calls into question the assumption that Godard's default is 1.37, as the wretched VHS image is clearly derived from a widescreen original, not open matte. Can anybody provide similar comparisons for other multi-ratio Godards?

BrightEyes23

#59 Post by BrightEyes23 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Anyone know what this could be? Not much to go on besides catalogue # and ASIN.

Oedipax

#60 Post by Oedipax » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:31 pm

Interesting. I wonder if this is related to the exhibit at the Centre Pompidou in Paris - I know there are several DVD releases planned in conjunction, but I was under the impression they were coming out in France (no word on english subtitles).

Ovader

#61 Post by Ovader » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:34 pm

I asked this question on another link in this forum and here is the answer.

Breathless (1959), La Chinoise (1967), Detective (1985), Eloge de l'Amour (2001) and Notre Musique (2004), according to Movie Mail.

Oedipax

#62 Post by Oedipax » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:03 pm

Well crap, nevermind then. Same stuff we've already got.

BrightEyes23

#63 Post by BrightEyes23 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:58 pm

yeah, disappointing, i've been dying for some new godard :(

hellboytr

#64 Post by hellboytr » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:10 pm

Centre Pompidou's massive exhibition catalogue "Jean-Luc Dodard: Documents" will include a DVD with 3 extremely rare films and 2 commercials.

According to an email by a Godardian who had got an extensive publicity booklet from Centre Pompidou covering the super Godard event, the DVD will include LETTER TO FREDDY BUACHE, MEETIN' WA, ON S'EST TOUS DEFILE, PUBLICITES CLOSED and PUBLICITES METAMORPHOJEAN :shock:

The printed material is at least as exciting as the DVD news:
Parmi les documents reproduits : Synopsis de Vivre sa vie
- Documents de tournage de Pierrot le fou
- Rêve d'une grande société française de cinéma
- Pièce source et scénario des Carabiniers
- Journal de tournage de La Chinoise (extraits)
- Philippe Garrel : Godard et ses émules
- Livre du Gai Savoir (extraits)
- Synopsis de British Sounds
- Lettre à l'éditeur du scénario de Vent d'Est
- Scénario de Vladimir et Rosa
- Manifeste et cahier de tournage de Jusqu'à la victoire (extraits)
- Quatre articles de " J'accuse "
- Manifeste " Que faire ? "
- Synopsis de Tout va Bien
- Scénario non-réalisé " Moi Je "
- Deux lettres à Henri Langlois
- Épisode abandonné de 6 fois 2 (Sur et sous la communication)
- " From the Workshop : an Open Letter to ZDF Television from Jean-Luc Godard " [Lettre ouverte à ZDF]
- France tour détour deux enfants. Déclaration à l'intention des héritiers
- Soft and Hard : documents de production
- Press-book Sauve qui peut (la vie)
- Refus du projet pour le 700° anniversaire de la Confédération Suisse
- Allemagne année 90 Neuf Zéro, note d'intention
- Scénarios de Hélas pour moi (extraits)
- Scènes coupées de For Ever Mozart
- Cinq lettres à et sur Rob Tregenza
- Rencontre avec René Vautier
- Notre musique, projet de film
- Documents préparatoires à l'exposition " Collages de France "...
There is an incredible difference between the amazon.fr and alapage pre-order prices, so i STRONGLY advice ordering through amazon.fr:

Alapage
Amazon.fr
Last edited by hellboytr on Thu May 25, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arn777

#65 Post by Arn777 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:26 pm

Cahiers du Cinema is also publishing this month a 'Godard au Travail' book compiled by Alain Bergala, with many documents for the period 59 to 67, so there will be very little overlap with the Centre Pompidou book. Meetin' W.A. was shown on French TV a few months ago in a nice print.

jguitar

#66 Post by jguitar » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:29 pm

There is an incredible difference between the amazon.fr and alapage pre-order prices, so i STRONGLY advice ordering through amazon.fr:

Alapage
Amazon.fr
Do you think it's at all possible that the Amazon one doesn't include the DVD? It's mentioned on the Alapage page, but not on Amazon's. Or is this unwarranted paranoia on my part?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#67 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:46 pm

ripped from the godard discussion group page indicating some more tie in releases -

Wow, I just got an extensive publicity booklet from Centre Pompidou covering the super Godard event. There are no fewer than 6 new books about JLG being launched, including the DOCUMENTS book which is the massive exhibition catalogue or complement, Bergala's GODARD AT WORK, Marc Cerisuelo's LE MEPRIS and Gallimard's all-in-one-volume HISTOIRES DU CINEMA book.

Then there are the DVDs! In DOCUMENTS there is a DVD containing '3 films and 2 advertising series' - LETTER TO FREDDY BUACHE, MEETIN' WA, ON S'EST TOUS DEFILE, PUBLICITES CLOSED and PUBLICITES METAMORPHOJEAN.

ECM is brining out a DVD containing ORIGIN OF THE 21ST CENTURY, LIBERTE ET PATRIE & JE VOUS SALUE SARAJEVO.

HISTOIRE(S) DU CINEMA is finally coming out through Gaumont, and ONE PLUS ONE is on the Carlotta label.

And for all those lucky people hanging out in Paris for the duration, they can see screenings of the 'complete works' - including the new works such as TRUE-FALSE PASSPORT - equalling 140 separate titles between April 21 and August 14. There are also a great many docos, TV chat-shows, etc, that have featured Godard down the years.

And, finally, the huge installation/exhibition itself !!!!!

Arn777

#68 Post by Arn777 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:09 pm

3 films and 2 advertising series
No idea but most of Meetin W.A. is in English, the 2 commercials don't really need subtitles, and from what I remember of 'on s'est tous defile' it's kind of a longer version of the commercials.

otis

#69 Post by otis » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:46 pm

The following films are being shown at the Pompidou retrospective in new prints from Gaumont:

Une femme mariée (64)
Le Gai Savoir (68)
Un film commes les autres (68)
British Sounds (69)
Pravda (69)
Vent d'Est (69)
Lotte in Italia (70)
Vladimir et Rosa (70)
Ici et ailleurs (74)
Numéro deux (75)
Comment ça va (76)
Je vous salue Marie (85)
Soigne ta droite (87)
JLG/JLG (95)
For Ever Mozart (96)
Moments choisis des Histoire(s) du cinéma (04)

and these with new prints from Ciné-Classic:

Le Petit soldat (60)
Les Carabiniers (63)

Hopefully this means at least some of them will be coming to DVD. Full listings for the retrospective here.

ellipsis7

#70 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu May 04, 2006 6:54 am

Pompidou retrospective
Anyone been to the exhibition yet to give a report?

Arn777

#71 Post by Arn777 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:11 am

ellipsis7 wrote:
Pompidou retrospective
Anyone been to the exhibition yet to give a report?
The retrospective has started, but I think the exhibition has been slightly delayed (to start 11th of May I think?). I'm planning to go, but not until late June I think.

accatone

#72 Post by accatone » Thu May 04, 2006 8:10 am

Does anybody know if the DOCUMENTS and/or HISTOIRE(S) publication is bilingual (french/english)? And does anybody know somthing about the publication available through [url=ttp://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/28442 ... 66-0705233]amazon.uk[/url]?

Arn777

#73 Post by Arn777 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:30 am

The new edition of Histoire(s) in one volume (instead of the four volumes) is only in French. I believe that Documents is only in French.

accatone

#74 Post by accatone » Thu May 04, 2006 8:36 am

he new edition of Histoire(s) in one volume (instead of the four volumes) is only in French. I believe that Documents is only in French.
Thanks Arn! btw, do you think the HISTOIRE(S) BOOK will "just" be the written version of the voice overs of the actual film? Because then i would be lucky having the ECM box ...

Arn777

#75 Post by Arn777 » Fri May 05, 2006 6:11 pm

accatone wrote:
he new edition of Histoire(s) in one volume (instead of the four volumes) is only in French. I believe that Documents is only in French.
Thanks Arn! btw, do you think the HISTOIRE(S) BOOK will "just" be the written version of the voice overs of the actual film? Because then i would be lucky having the ECM box ...
The Histoire(s) book is different from the ECM one. 80% of it are photograms the rest is text, but not the voice-over, more an expansion of the quotes Godard uses, or creates. It is a complement to the films, not a replica.

Also worth noting that Carlotta has just released One + One/Sympathy for the devil. Both versions! with a couple of supplements (including a Jean Douchet analysis).