Jean Renoir

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
whaleallright

Re: Jean Renoir

#126 Post by whaleallright » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 pm

It can be a pain to get to the Siskel Film Center in Chicago in the winter. By the time I've marched to the El, waited for the train in freezing weather, walked through falling snow from the train to the theater, marched up the long stairs, and then waited in their charmless overlit lobby, I can be in no shape to watch some lengthy art-film masterpiece. I once went to some lengths, despite being under the weather, to see Oliveira's rare Doomed Love, a film I'd been wanting to see for years, (I even left work early etc.) and fell asleep within ten minutes of the film starting. :(

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#127 Post by Brian C » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Sounds like you just don't like winter - the Siskel is as close to the L as any other movie theater in the city that I can think of, with the Red Line being literally right outside and even the Blue Line being only a block and a half away (and even that can be mitigated by cutting through Block 37 so you only have to cross the street and walk half a block outside). God help you if you ever try to get to Doc Films in the snow!

whaleallright

#128 Post by whaleallright » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Are you Chicagoshaming me? I was exaggerating the distance of the Siskel from the train (although the Purple Line is a bit farther away IIRC). But there's the walk to the El from where I worked, a long haul if it's -2ºF and you're sick. My point is just that sometimes circumstances lead you to not be in the mood to watch a film you desperately wanted to see.

Also, you can drive to Doc Films! (You can drive to the Film Center too, if you're willing to spend > $20 on parking.)

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#129 Post by Brian C » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:02 pm

Haha, Chicagoshaming. That actually sounds like fun - I don't own a car and rely entirely on the CTA for transit around the city, so I'm well-positioned to Chicagoshame just about anyone. Despite not having a car I can even parallel park if the need arises!

All in good fun, though.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#130 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:37 am

The Studio Canal blu of Le Crime de Monsieur Lange has english and german subs.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#131 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 am

Note however that the restoration was performed in 4K from a counter-type and the result is technically very limited.
Most of the movie is very soft, some shots are just plain blurry, and a couple are even worse than that (there is a shot at the 11th minute which looks overblown, with the action seemingly taking place behind a veil of frozen grain and a crapload of scratches). Others shots look smooth, and the light black level doesn't help.

To sum up : it's complicated.

dda1996a

#132 Post by dda1996a » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:33 am

Where can one watch Night at the Crossroads? Can't find it anywhere

connor

#133 Post by connor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 pm

dda1996a wrote:Where can one watch Night at the Crossroads? Can't find it anywhere
I remember downloading a pretty poor-looking torrent a few years back. A few months later, a DVD was released, I bought it but it seems as if it was actually just a DVD-R of this original, pretty-low quality AVI file.

Lost Highway

#134 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 pm

connor wrote:
dda1996a wrote:Where can one watch Night at the Crossroads? Can't find it anywhere
I remember downloading a pretty poor-looking torrent a few years back. A few months later, a DVD was released, I bought it but it seems as if it was actually just a DVD-R of this original, pretty-low quality AVI file.
Copyright karma

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#135 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:48 pm

david hare wrote:The very worst couple of shots you mention are in fact material not previously seen in any earlier copies and are restored (quite possibly) from 16mm.
The issue mostly is that they look extremely digital (and the color-timing is also very different from the rest of the movie), so it's not just a question of using a different source, but how it was conformed to the rest of the movie (IMO).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#136 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:54 am

I haven't, I have only watched the BD.

Here are some caps, the last 4 are from the scene I'm talking about which takes place at the 11th minute.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

andyli

#137 Post by andyli » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:02 am

There is a BD for this?

connor

#138 Post by connor » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:20 pm

andyli wrote:There is a BD for this?
I wasn't aware it was out. Where could I pick it up?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#139 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:35 pm

It's out in France but is currently only sold through Fnac.com.

L.A.

#140 Post by L.A. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Does Fnac.com ship overseas?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#141 Post by tenia » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:48 am

L.A. wrote:Does Fnac.com ship overseas?
They do, but it's expensive. What I found for US deliveries is that it's DHL only, 2 days delivery, but 15€ + 1.85€ per article of shipping fees.

andyli

#142 Post by andyli » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:52 am

Given it's Studio Canal and the fact that English/German subs are present, it's bound to get a wider release later, yes?

L.A.

#143 Post by L.A. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:18 am

tenia wrote:They do, but it's expensive. What I found for US deliveries is that it's DHL only, 2 days delivery, but 15€ + 1.85€ per article of shipping fees.
Thanks for that. Actually I’m located in Finland but probably the delivery here is still expensive as well. Hopefully Amazon.fr stocks it soon.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#144 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun May 13, 2018 3:08 pm

There are Spanish blu-rays available of Toni and La Marseillaise - has anyone seen them and can you vouch for their quality?

GoodOldNeon

#145 Post by GoodOldNeon » Fri May 18, 2018 7:22 am

In preparation for the Jean Renoir List Project starting next month, I picked up the French Blu-ray of The Golden Coach, and it is a huge upgrade over the Digital Classics Region 2 DVD I picked up before I knew the French Blu-ray existed. The English-language version on the Blu-ray has French subtitles which one reviewer was able to remove on his machine; I wasn't, but I was able to move the subtitles off the screen by changing the subtitle position, and when I made a backup copy with MakeMKV I was able to drop the subtitles from the file.

GoodOldNeon

#146 Post by GoodOldNeon » Wed May 30, 2018 4:56 am

andyli wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:52 am
Given it's Studio Canal and the fact that English/German subs are present, it's bound to get a wider release later, yes?
Coming to the UK on August 6.

I tried to order the French Blu-ray from Fnac but just today had my order cancelled with a message saying their supplier doesn't have the item available.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#147 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:08 pm
There are Spanish blu-rays available of Toni and La Marseillaise - has anyone seen them and can you vouch for their quality?
Even for French speakers (there are no English subs), I wouldn't recommend these. Toni is a BD-R that doesn't look sharp, La Marseillaise is a proper Studio Canal blu but the French audio track forces Spanish subs on you. Ugh.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#148 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Is MOC's wonderful DVD of Toni now totally unfindable? (It was a crime how under-bought this release was). :-(

GoodOldNeon

#149 Post by GoodOldNeon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:34 pm
Is MOC's wonderful DVD of Toni now totally unfindable? (It was a crime how under-bought this release was). :-(
There are several new and used copies available from Amazon UK marketplace sellers for £20-£25. I managed to snag one for £13 a month ago, so the current best price might come down if you're willing to wait.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#150 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:47 pm

I bought this as soon as MOC released it -- and glad I did (as it is probably my favorite Renoir film). ;-)