Jerry Lewis

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Matt

Re: Jerry Lewis

#26 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:04 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:How does this box compare to the R1 releases, regarding transfers and extras?
No idea on the specs, but it drops The Stooge from the US box and adds Rock-a-Bye Baby and The Geisha Boy (both directed by Tashlin and neither of which has ever been available on DVD in the US). I'm surprised there are no reviews from brave blind-buying Jerry fans a whole year after release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I have the individual Australian releases of Geisha Boy and Rock a Bye Baby, which are the identical discs in the R2 box. The transfers are STUNNERS, with both sporting amazingly good looking VistaVision reproductions, and are definitely worth picking up.

Saimo

#28 Post by Saimo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:55 am

What A Disgrace wrote:How does this box compare to the R1 releases, regarding transfers and extras?

It contains two films not at all released in the states, so I'm particularly interested in those.
Bought it. As far as I can compare, they are the same discs already released in R2 as individual DVD. Nutty Professor is the old edition, without commentary, deleted scenes etc.

kidc85

#29 Post by kidc85 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:58 am

I've never seen any of the Lewis / Martin flicks, what ones would people recommend as an introduction?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 am

The two Tashlins: Hollywood or Bust and Artists and Models

hearthesilence

#31 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:53 pm

If you want to see The Disorderly Orderly in Brooklyn, they're screening an IB Tech 35mm print tomorrow at 4pm at BAM as part of BAMCinemafest - it accompanies a new short documentary called Jerry and Me.

stroszeck

#32 Post by stroszeck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Just came back from a screening of Hollywood Or Bust at the New Beverly and have to say I was very disappointed with the print. A bit faded, horrible scratches and lines throughout the whole thing. Thought it was supposed to be a restored 35mm but was FAR from it. On a lighter note, Peter Bogdanovich was walking out of the theater as we were going in - complete with his trademark ascot. Is there any chance of a re-release or updated box of Lewis/Martin movies? Maybe this time in Blu? I missed the window of purchasing the two sets Paramount put up due to finances....

knives

#33 Post by knives » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Olive has shown a healthy interest in Lewis in the past so it wouldn't be surprising for them to release more. That's your best chance anyway.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#34 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:32 am

I actually saw Hollywood or Bust at the later showing (and of course I missed Captain Ascot himself). None of the prints were advertised as being new or even archival, so I was expecting the amount of wear the print had. Maybe DVD and Blu-ray are spoiling us a bit, but I've seen far worse prints and it had no more damage than what I've seen from a print of that era. Damage aside, the color was still beautiful and the "high fidelity" VistaVision quality (which is advertised throughout the film in the background and in one of the numbers) still excited me on how modern the film stock looks. And how, from what I'm understand, Paramount doesn't loan out their 35mm prints anymore, they probably got their print from either a private collector or they bought one themselves.

Anyway, I'm not one to argue against a set, but I can't see any studios aside from an Olive Films taking the time to make new HD transfers of Martin-Lewis pictures. I'm crossing my fingers though for this and Artists and Models.

impossiblefunky

#35 Post by impossiblefunky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:56 pm

You guys heard about the print of Day the Clown Cried that was found in Spain, right?

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3 ... nCried.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

impossiblefunky

#36 Post by impossiblefunky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:56 pm

That doc on Jerry that was on TCM a few months back left a lot to be desired to me. There was no mention of Frank Tashlin. Seems like a major oversight.

Peacock

#37 Post by Peacock » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:35 pm

impossiblefunky wrote:You guys heard about the print of Day the Clown Cried that was found in Spain, right?

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3 ... nCried.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was an April Fools. And I don't think the film is even lost anyway.

Roger Ryan

#38 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Peacock wrote:
impossiblefunky wrote:You guys heard about the print of Day the Clown Cried that was found in Spain, right?

It was an April Fools. And I don't think the film is even lost anyway.
It's safe to say "impossiblefunky" knows it was an April Fools joke as he perpetuated it himself. :lol:

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#39 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:53 am

Professor Wagstaff

#41 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:20 am

A very charming clip. Still amazed that back then the Academy would give someone like Hepburn, with only two major Hollywood credits to her name at the time, the chance to hand out the best picture award.

antnield

#42 Post by antnield » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Some making of footage from The Day the Clown Cried has shown up on YouTube. Sourced from a Dutch television programme and including an appearance from Serge Gainsbourg.

hearthesilence

#43 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Just got The Nutty Professor on Blu-Ray. Looks great, but I have a quick question: when Buddy Love makes his entrance, he's seen mouthing a line in that one long shot before the music and dancing resumes. Anyone know what he originally said? (I'm hoping this is in the original finished film, not a mistake on the disc.)

captveg

#44 Post by captveg » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:20 am

Interesting....

"Did he really have the film negative of "The Day the Clown Cried," an unreleased Holocaust comedy that Lewis regretted making? Yes, Stone said, but the library agreed to not show the film for at least 10 years."

Mr. Lewis turned 89 this past March, so I suspect the idea is that it won't be shown until he passes.

EDIT: Indiewire has picked this news up

dx23

#45 Post by dx23 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:37 pm

captveg wrote:Interesting....

"Did he really have the film negative of "The Day the Clown Cried," an unreleased Holocaust comedy that Lewis regretted making? Yes, Stone said, but the library agreed to not show the film for at least 10 years."

Mr. Lewis turned 89 this past March, so I suspect the idea is that it won't be shown until he passes.

EDIT: Indiewire has picked this news up
That's exactly what I thought. Everyone who has seen it says that the film is simply bad. The comedy is bad, the dramatic parts are bad. It's a very sore and dark spot for Lewis's legacy. I doubt he would want to face the media if it's screened now and if he gets to live 10 more years, I doubt that anyone would confront him about the film's allegedly crappiness.

antnield

#46 Post by antnield » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:07 am

The BBC have made a documentary on The Day the Clown Cried. Article here, which contains a BBC iPlayer link at the bottom to the doc. It will also appear on the BBC's YouTube channel at a later date and screen on BBC TV.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:27 pm

He didn't direct it but I recently watched Visit to a Small Planet (Norman Taurog 1960) and for a film without much of a reputation, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. How much you will get out of this bastardized Gore Vidal (!) adaptation is probably proportional to how badly you want to see Hitchcock mainstay John Williams dressed as an alien leather daddy or Fred Clark in a toupee repeatedly smooshing his face against an unseen pane of glass. I think this may actually be Lewis' best non-Tashlin or self-directed film, at least of those I've seen, because it is so generous in giving good bits to the supporting cast and Clark and Williams are so far from actors I'd ever pair with Lewis and yet so straight-faced and game for anything that it's really a lot of fun to see them just run with this out of their comfort zone. Other than Lewis out-weirding the weirdos at the local beatnik cafe (With one hep daddy-o memorably screaming out, "That's it, I'm shaving my beard" as he runs away), he's pretty demure in this one, so it's not a great Lewis film for anything he brings so much as it is for how he plays off some unexpected character actors

knives

#50 Post by knives » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:11 pm

I actually like a few of the Taurog Martin/ Lewis joints.