Harmony Korine

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
cantinflas

Re: Harmony Korine

#151 Post by cantinflas » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:08 am

cantinflas

#152 Post by cantinflas » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:39 am

cantinflas

#153 Post by cantinflas » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm

KWFF Golden Key Award Winner Harmony Korine in Conversation with Eric Kohn

Featuring his short film Drum Ass plus he holds up his phone to show footage from Fight Harm.

cantinflas

#155 Post by cantinflas » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:03 am

Here's the full Billie Eilish shoot:

Website
Magazine

cantinflas

#156 Post by cantinflas » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:24 pm

therewillbeblus

#157 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 28, 2023 5:11 pm

Umbrella Entertainment wrote:Take a look at our all-new colour grade for KIDS, replicated based on the release master from 1995!

The color-corrected grading has taken place by referencing the original 35mm print we have on hand. We have done our best to replicate what it would have looked like upon release in theatres. By 'original' here, we meant the existing HD master, which has a blue tint compared to the original release master.
Images spoiler'd for sizeShow

nicolas

#158 Post by nicolas » Sun May 28, 2023 8:23 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Umbrella Entertainment wrote:Take a look at our all-new colour grade for KIDS, replicated based on the release master from 1995!

The color-corrected grading has taken place by referencing the original 35mm print we have on hand. We have done our best to replicate what it would have looked like upon release in theatres. By 'original' here, we meant the existing HD master, which has a blue tint compared to the original release master.
Great information. At this point it’s crystal clear that if newer masters of shot-on-film films are graded comparatively warmer than older, neutral versions it isn’t immediately bad or destructive of films’ original colors. The warmth in this newer master also looks so much more fitting than the older color, exactly as it happened with The Conformist and the Kieślowskis. I’m really impressed when labels use good 35mm prints or director / DoP-approved reference material and base their work on that instead of totally leaving it up to the colorist.
Sure, the work must all be within a spectrum (too much is as bad as too little) but generally I’m more happy with (European) restoration work now than a few years ago.

I wasn’t that interested in this release of Kids but now I’ll give it a try. Thank you, Umbrella.

beamish14

#159 Post by beamish14 » Mon May 29, 2023 1:50 am

I’m very curious about the accompanying documentary, which is apparently a very scathing look at what Korine and Clark did in the process of researching and filming the movie

furbicide

#160 Post by furbicide » Mon May 29, 2023 4:44 am

We ran an article on that documentary here, if you're curious. It certainly does sound damning:

https://metromagazine.com.au/open-wound/

Peacock

#162 Post by Peacock » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:10 am

No surprise he kept that a secret then after Astroworld!

Rupert Pupkin

#163 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:17 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:11 pm

I have pre-ordered "Kids" (Umbrella) Australian blu-ray at wowhd.co.uk (I live in France). The release date is not the same (August instead of July)

I'm a bit afraid (I think I should be) because at Diabolik the pre-order status is out of stock. :?
https://diabolikdvd.com/product/kids-um ... -preorder/

I did pre-order at wowhd.co.uk the standard edition BR with the DVD, not the limited edition with goodies (photos, etc...)
Do you think that I still have a chance; or was it so limited that I should dh ave ordered directly at Umbrella web site; (and pay a lot of customs fee ?)
Is this still available here ? :
https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au

therewillbeblus

#164 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:33 am

Are you concerned that you won’t receive what you bought (the standard edition) or that you should have ordered the limited edition? These third party sites (Diabolik, Orbit, DD, Rarewaves) often list an item as temporarily out of stock after a wave of preorders when they’re still expecting to get more in. The best way to get an answer is to email the retailer directly. But I don’t think Umbrella’s standard blu is gonna sell out immediately - you should be okay

Rupert Pupkin

#165 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:08 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:33 am
Are you concerned that you won’t receive what you bought (the standard edition) or that you should have ordered the limited edition? These third party sites (Diabolik, Orbit, DD, Rarewaves) often list an item as temporarily out of stock after a wave of preorders when they’re still expecting to get more in. The best way to get an answer is to email the retailer directly. But I don’t think Umbrella’s standard blu is gonna sell out immediately - you should be okay
just the standard edition (the blu-ray with the color-regrading) (with the DVD?), not the limited edition with goodies : https://www.wowhd.co.uk/kids/9344256027024
The thing is that wowhd.co.uk is rather cheap for me in France, but it's a pain in the ass when you have to contact wowhd.co.uk regarding an order. They won't reply before the release date. And if they don't have it; it will take a few weeks before I got a PayPal refund.
The only thing I could do is to order directly the standard edition to Umbrella web site assuming that in the end wowhd.co.uk won't have this blu-ray and knowing that in the end they will not process my order and proceed a PayPal refund. Their release date given by wowhd is : 04/08/2023 not July.
Is it out now ? I have already seen a rip of the color-regrading blu-ray. :oops:

colinr0380

#166 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:37 am

This reminds me that no special edition of Kids would be complete without the Adam & Joe stuffed toy version of it (NSFW).

Rupert Pupkin

#167 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:33 pm

wowhd has just shipped my blu-ray of "Kids"; hope to receive it soon (I already received "After Hours").
I'm a bit surprise that there is no review at blu-ray.com or did I miss a review of the blu-ray in some other place ?
I'm looking forward to see it with the new "corrected" color grading (already saw the BR German, which looks just fine with natural film grain)

therewillbeblus

#169 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:47 am

The first and only time I saw Kids was over two decades ago - in fifth or sixth grade on my friend's computer, prompted by a bored spell's resolve from the host: "You guys wanna see a really fucked up movie?" and never felt the need to revisit it since, until tonight. The Umbrella blu looks great and the restored color scheme shows a fair amount of aesthetic intelligence I (obviously) missed when I was a.. kid. What really surprised me was how little I found this film disturbing today, or rather, how these elements didn't overwhelm the assets but contributed to a full-measured authentic vision. I'm not trying to shrug off or minimize its troubling content, but it all feels in service of something honest demanding urgent communication.

Even though Korine and Clark engage in a skewed-narrative structure that seems to subvert the plot in favor of meandering detailed 'vérité', the film is deliberately crafted as a parallel tale; between a realist-LoTR adventure born from the desperate existential surging empathy of a cursed woman to perhaps spare another, and the aimless, thoughtless culture of selfish, superficial drives. The first is the B-story, the artists perversely sidelining the more familiar narrative because its power pales in comparison to the milieu's ethos, that supports a groupthink climate producing a mirage of hedonistic collectivism - but which is actually just a mask to protect rogue individualism for the scared and unskilled youth trapped in cosmic limbo.

It's also interesting to compare the slight differentiations in style between the two sections - Chloë Sevigny's more cinematic arc is (literally) colored in artistic flourishes, while the graphic but moderated technique capturing the boys' club shenanigans only descends into formal erosion of its prescribed approach during the chaos of the fight scene... And only because there's no subject to film attempting to cognitively channel their ineptitude of conscience clashing with swelling id through verbal communication; so when that resilient defense breaks down, the camera covers the emotional turbulence barely contained under that facade. And of course the two aesthetic forms merge, in step with this theme, during the climax as Sevigny's barely-conscious heroine loses; and the emotional neon-soaked journey is usurped by the harsh reality of that brainless pleasure-seeking culture barely evading cognitive dissonance through inebriation, posing as a half-cocked attempt at social intimacy. It's such a delicately-defined, yet raw poetic conceptualization.

So now I love this movie. I know Korine didn't helm it, but this, more than his earlier directorial work, feels like the natural starting point that would eventually arrive at Spring Breakers and The Beach Bum in self-actualized domesticity (a strange form for Korine, but he's a pretty abnormal guy!)