Quentin Tarantino

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
John Cope

Re: Quentin Tarantino

#326 Post by John Cope » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:32 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:Just as long as he stays away from acting.
I know the guy's no Olivier but I'm always delighted when he's on screen. That's got to account for something.
I agree with this and in fact would even go so far as to say that he's been quite brilliantly used in his own movies. The obvious pleasure that radiates off of him in his few brief scenes in Reservoir Dogs is truly infectious and he could not have been more perfectly cast in Pulp Fiction. Really, I can't imagine anyone doing better in that part.

Zot!

#327 Post by Zot! » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:43 pm

John Cope wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:
I know the guy's no Olivier but I'm always delighted when he's on screen. That's got to account for something.
I agree with this and in fact would even go so far as to say that he's been quite brilliantly used in his own movies. The obvious pleasure that radiates off of him in his few brief scenes in Reservoir Dogs is truly infectious and he could not have been more perfectly cast in Pulp Fiction. Really, I can't imagine anyone doing better in that part.
I don't think that could even be considered acting. It's just him in talk show mode...which happens to be his only mode. He's truly awful, but yes, in the context of the film it works, as some sort of playful Godardian conceit.

colinr0380

#328 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:31 pm

I would still suggest that in terms of "director-actors mostly cameoing in their own films" that he's no Jess Franco though.

hearthesilence

#329 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:57 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
I meant pursuing acting once he's done directing. I agree, in his first two films, he was fine, but in all those other roles after Pulp Fiction, he's just insufferable.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#331 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am

The 30s are without a doubt the worst decade of the Studio Era, how can anyone possibly think that it was the best? The post-Code struggle went on for years with so many forgettable safe features that have rightly disappeared in public consciousness

The Fighter will be a film we all talk about in thirty years?! Is it a film anyone is even talking about now less than five years later?
You know, literally watching him for six years do faux-Quentin dialogue let me know that he’s got the right kind of tongue.
Did he just fucking dis Justified?

Forrest Taft

#332 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:48 am

Wasn't he referring to The Shield there?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#333 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:49 am

The Shield had seven seasons, Justified six

cdnchris
Site Admin

#334 Post by cdnchris » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:56 am

domino harvey wrote:The 30s are without a doubt the worst decade of the Studio Era, how can anyone possibly think that it was the best? The post-Code struggle went on for years with so many forgettable safe features that have rightly disappeared in public consciousness
I found that interesting since I don't think I've ever heard or read him talking about that decade before. He's obviously more of a 70's guy but most of the film's he toots outside that decade are between the 40's and 90's and then whatever random new release.

Numero Trois

#335 Post by Numero Trois » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:09 pm

domino harvey wrote:The 30s are without a doubt the worst decade of the Studio Era, how can anyone possibly think that it was the best?
A lot of people do. He's hardly unique in thinking that. I'd say that point of view is so common it's banal. Maybe people who do are singling out certain films like The Awful Truth, The Front Page, It Happened One Night or Grand Hotel than the entire decade as a whole.
Tarantino wrote:One thing that’s always been true is that there’s no real film genre that better reflects the values and the problems of a given decade than the Westerns made during that specific decade. The Westerns of the ’50s reflected Eisenhower America better than any other films of the day. The Westerns of the ’30s reflected the ’30s ideal. And actually, the Westerns of the ’40s did, too, because there was a whole strain of almost noirish Westerns that, all of a sudden, had dark themes. The ’70s Westerns were pretty much anti-myth Westerns
So Brad Pitt in the The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is actually George W. Bush? I'll go with that.
Tarantino wrote:This might come across as egotistical...... but that’s just my own megalomania.
Ya think????
Last edited by Numero Trois on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#336 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:
You know, literally watching him for six years do faux-Quentin dialogue let me know that he’s got the right kind of tongue.
Did he just fucking dis Justified?
I don't know if it was meant so negative as you seem to be reading it - he thinks the dialogue is derivitive but throughout the interview expresses a great admiration for the fact he's been able to see his own little idiosyncracies and ideas spread to other artists.

Plus - he does mention watching it for six years, so it's hard to imagine he hated the thing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#337 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:15 pm

When he says "Hollywood in the '30s" he's probably mostly thinking of the pre-Code era? That plus Universal horror, the screwball genre, the birth of the musical, the notion of 1939 as a "golden year," and personalities like the Marx brothers, W.C. Fields, etc. make it an easy decade to become enamored with without even getting that deep into the movies themselves.

flyonthewall2983

#338 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:The Shield had seven seasons, Justified six
Seven TV seasons equal six years. The Shield was on from 2002 to 2008, Justified from 2010 to 2015.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#339 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:04 pm

2002 through 2008 inclusive is seven years. 2010 through 2015 is six years.

flyonthewall2983

#340 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:13 pm

But if we refer to something that happened in 2010, we always say it was five years ago.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#341 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:29 pm

Aug 24, 2010 was five years ago. Jan 1, 2010 through Dec 31, 2015 is six years.

But alright, technically, the series ran from Mar 16, 2010 through Apr 14, 2015, which is five years and a month. (And by the same measure, The Shield ran for six years, eight months, and two weeks.) I'm sure Tarantino was thinking in these terms when he made that statement.

flyonthewall2983

#342 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm not surprised he discovered Goggins through The Shield. He had to at least have been in his purview before Justified since Robert Rodriguez cast him in Predators and the filming of that was right in between those two show's runs.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#343 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:58 pm

swo17 wrote:Aug 24, 2010 was five years ago. Jan 1, 2010 through Dec 31, 2015 is six years.
Likewise, you wouldn't say a single season that aired in its entirety during 2010 ran for 0 years. Though I'm beginning to sense the beginnings of a good "A mathematician, an engineer, and a physicist are watching TV..." joke

Luke M

#344 Post by Luke M » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:26 pm

I enjoyed the interview. I think his comments on the films of the 80s and 90s were spot on. I also liked his comments on True Detective and his somewhat surprising social commentary on white supremacy.

flyonthewall2983

#345 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:06 am

The movies that used to be treated as independent movies, like the Sundance movies of the ’90s — those are the movies that are up for Oscars now. Stuff like The Kids Are All Right and The Fighter. They’re the mid-budget movies now, they just have bigger stars and bigger budgets. They’re good, but I don’t know if they have the staying power that some of the movies of the ’90s and the ’70s did. I don’t know if we’re going to be talking about The Town or The Kids Are All Right or An Education 20 or 30 years from now. Notes on a Scandal is another one. Philomena. Half of these Cate Blanchett movies — they’re all just like these arty things. I’m not saying they’re bad movies, but I don’t think most of them have a shelf life. But The Fighter or American Hustle — those will be watched in 30 years.
Taking aside the issue of the films he did name, I do think he's correct in that movies of that caliber might not be as seen as classic as films from before. Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, The Shield, Mad Men, The Sopranos and lots more I'm sure, have taken their place. This was touched on a bit in the Christopher Nolan thread, but I think that's a big reason as to why. I don't see television ever becoming something that swallows up film whole because of it, but I can see some of those shows already being regarded as iconic as something like Raging Bull or Pulp Fiction were for those generations.

movielocke

#346 Post by movielocke » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:26 am

To be fair, birdman is just the dresser with a bigger budget. I think he's right about the annual awards bait movies. So many are good or excellent but not lasting, I think.

Re the thirties, it's easy to get sucked in with the huge variety of material but unfortunately it's mostly a decade of 9s, lots of great execution but relatively little depth even in the most renowned films. It's a shock watching foreign films from the thirties and see them incorporate deeper dives into the human condition, it often reflects poorly on hollywood, though there are jewels like make way for tomorrow or stage door.

Numero Trois

#347 Post by Numero Trois » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 am

movielocke wrote: It's a shock watching foreign films from the thirties and see them incorporate deeper dives into the human condition, it often reflects poorly on hollywood,
Definetly agree with that. I'm reminded of a perverse aside in one of the Pauline Kael collections where she basically lauds the idea of the Depression-era New York writers going to Hollywood and making compromises to their art. A minor detail but a telling one for sure.

Jack Phillips

#349 Post by Jack Phillips » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:46 am

Not so complete. Where's the entry for T-Rex's "Jeepster" in the DeathProof section?