Francis Ford Coppola

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Francis Ford Coppola

#26 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu May 05, 2022 7:41 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:07 pm
Megalopolis will begin a six-month schedule of filming in New York and Atlanta this September - confirmed cast includes Forest Whitaker, Cate Blanchett, Jon Voight, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jessica Lange, James Caan, and Zendaya
Zendaya was apparently unconfirmed despite the Production Weekly listing as she’ll be shooting Dune Part II

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#27 Post by Never Cursed » Thu May 05, 2022 8:35 pm

That's true, but there's gotta be a way to schedule around that and she (and Coppola) would have every incentive to find a way to do so

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Thu May 05, 2022 8:52 pm

Is there no one that could be the Julia Stiles to her Erika Christensen?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 05, 2022 9:43 pm

Finally, Zennightya’s time to shine

Matt

#30 Post by Matt » Thu May 05, 2022 9:50 pm

swo17 wrote:Is there no one that could be the Julia Stiles to her Erika Christensen?
Aja Bair (this only makes sense to people who have seen episodes 7 and 8 of Euphoria season 2)

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu May 05, 2022 10:52 pm

Ha! That would be great

FrauBlucher

#32 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 17, 2022 4:28 pm

TheExtras podcast with Archivist James Mockoski and editor Robert Shafer of American Zoetrope about the recent 50th Anniversary Godfather restorations. Here

a tidbit... New 4K HDR restorations of One From the Heart, Is Paris Burning and The Conversation are in the works

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:02 pm

Adam Driver will star in Megalopolis, presumably in the Oscar Isaac role. Also no James Caan for obvious reasons

therewillbeblus

#34 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm

Megalopolis cast finalized, with a few new additions: Adam Driver, Forest Whitaker, Nathalie Emmanuel, Laurence Fishburne, Talia Shire, Shia LaBeouf, Jason Schwartzman, Grace Vanderwaal, Kathryn Hunter, James Remar. Dustin Hoffman, Chloe Fineman, Isabelle Kusman, D.B. Sweeney, Bailey Ives.

beamish14

#35 Post by beamish14 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:42 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm
Megalopolis cast finalized, with a few new additions: Adam Driver, Forest Whitaker, Nathalie Emmanuel, Laurence Fishburne, Talia Shire, Shia LaBeouf, Jason Schwartzman, Grace Vanderwaal, Kathryn Hunter, James Remar. Dustin Hoffman, Chloe Fineman, Isabelle Kusman, D.B. Sweeney, Bailey Ives.

The first film to feature mother/son Shire and Schwartzman, I think. A Midnight Cowboy reunion. D.B. Sweeney working with Coppola for the first time since Gardens of Stone. Very interesting

I’m sure this film must have some kind of negative pickup deal like Costner’s Horizon that will significantly minimize Coppola’s financial risk

The Narrator Returns

#36 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:20 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm
Aubrey Plaza as well, she was previously announced and Deadline accidentally left her out of the list.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#37 Post by dekadetia » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:33 am

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:42 pm
[The first film to feature mother/son Shire and Schwartzman, I think.
They appeared together in David O. Russell's I Heart Huckabees.

yoloswegmaster

#38 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:50 pm

Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘Megalopolis’ in Peril Amid Ballooning Budget, Crew Exodus
Francis Ford Coppola’s latest movie, the sci-fi-tinged Megalopolis, has descended into chaos, according to multiple sources. The movie, currently halfway through shooting in Atlanta, has in the last week lost key creative talent including its production designer and supervising art director. That’s on top of losing the entire visual effects team in the first part of December.

Sources say Coppola, who has never made an effects-heavy movie, fired almost his entire visual effects team Dec. 9, with the rest of that department soon following. Mark Russell, a veteran whose credits include In the Heights and The Wolf of Wall Street, was leading the team as visual effects production supervisor. (Coppola famously fired his special effects department on Dracula 30 years ago.)

More recently, production designer Beth Mickle and supervising art director David Scott have departed. Between firings and resignations, a source says the film now has no art department. Russell, Mickle and Scott did not respond to requests for comment.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#39 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:05 pm

To many insiders, the production is giving severe Apocalypse Now redux vibes, and it’s one on which the iconoclastic 83-year-old director is breaking a cardinal Hollywood rule: Never spend your own money.
So this will also be one of the best movies ever made, then?

Computer Raheem

#40 Post by Computer Raheem » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:57 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:50 pm
Francis Ford Coppola’s ‘Megalopolis’ in Peril Amid Ballooning Budget, Crew Exodus
Francis Ford Coppola’s latest movie, the sci-fi-tinged Megalopolis, has descended into chaos, according to multiple sources. The movie, currently halfway through shooting in Atlanta, has in the last week lost key creative talent including its production designer and supervising art director. That’s on top of losing the entire visual effects team in the first part of December.

Sources say Coppola, who has never made an effects-heavy movie, fired almost his entire visual effects team Dec. 9, with the rest of that department soon following. Mark Russell, a veteran whose credits include In the Heights and The Wolf of Wall Street, was leading the team as visual effects production supervisor. (Coppola famously fired his special effects department on Dracula 30 years ago.)

More recently, production designer Beth Mickle and supervising art director David Scott have departed. Between firings and resignations, a source says the film now has no art department. Russell, Mickle and Scott did not respond to requests for comment.
According to this article, one of the main reasons the film is going over-budget is because Coppola was utilizing the VFX volume that's all the rage at the moment - the plan now is to transition to tradition greenscreen work. Hopefully, this issue is less an Apocalypse Now and more a Bram Stoker's Dracula (more in terms of a smoother production than in terms of quality)

tolbs1010

#41 Post by tolbs1010 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:04 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:05 pm
To many insiders, the production is giving severe Apocalypse Now redux vibes, and it’s one on which the iconoclastic 83-year-old director is breaking a cardinal Hollywood rule: Never spend your own money.
The tell-all documentary will be even better. MegaFlopolis: A Filmmaker's Abyss

willoneill

#42 Post by willoneill » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:54 am

tolbs1010 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:04 pm
DarkImbecile wrote:
Apparently Mike Figgis is on set documenting everything.

bad future

#43 Post by bad future » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:29 pm

Coppola responds: "ha, ha, just wait and see." Plus an (imo) impressively full-throated co-sign from Adam Driver!

willoneill

#44 Post by willoneill » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:48 am

You know when it's been a wild week when this announcement isn't the most surprising Francis Ford Coppola news.

therewillbeblus

#45 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:11 am

willoneill wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:48 am
You know when it's been a wild week when this announcement isn't the most surprising Francis Ford Coppola news.
I’m more surprised that Coppola was able to multitask by staying involved in securing this release while directing a lavish production than I am that he’s running into production issues on an ambitious project

I had no idea this was coming but I’m all for it- Twixt rules

beamish14

#46 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:42 am

willoneill wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:54 am
tolbs1010 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:04 pm
DarkImbecile wrote:

Apparently Mike Figgis is on set documenting everything.

That is VERY intriguing. I wonder if Figgis was the one to approach him about doing it.

Some set pics with Aubrey Plaza and Adam Driver

willoneill

#47 Post by willoneill » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:36 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:11 am
willoneill wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:48 am
I’m more surprised that Coppola was able to multitask by staying involved in securing this release while directing a lavish production than I am that he’s running into production issues on an ambitious project

I had no idea this was coming but I’m all for it- Twixt rules
I'll definitely be picking it up. I'm slightly less surprised because I originally thought Fox (i.e. Disney) was putting out the new disc (since they released the original blu-ray), but I reread the announcement and it's Lionsgate, which makes a lot more sense. And hey, if it throws a few dollars towards Zoetrope, all the better.

therewillbeblus

#48 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:58 pm

Some listings say 129 minutes and 139 minutes, but this article suggests it will be around the same runtime of 88 minutes just with a different edit. It also seems like a bunch of adult film actors(?!) who weren't in the first film are listed in this one- so I have no idea what to expect. Hope we hear more concrete news soon.

knives

#49 Post by knives » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:20 pm

I wonder if it’s a variation of the live shows he did. The original concept was having hundreds of Twixt possibilities.

beamish14

#50 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:22 pm

knives wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:20 pm
I wonder if it’s a variation of the live shows he did. The original concept was having hundreds of Twixt possibilities.

Yep. The audience was going to be able to vote on how it progressed, I thought, sort of like the Bob Gale-directed curio Mr. Payback