Mikhaël Hers

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

Re: Mikhaël Hers

#26 Post by soundchaser » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:24 am

I watched Amanda tonight and have to heap onto the praise pile here, because...
SpoilerShow
... of how many films get the subject matter so wrong. It’s such a truthful depiction of grief — of how sudden shocks ripple out through small events, and how difficult it is to navigate relationships with those who have gone through the same loss, and how it still doesn’t fundamentally change how difficult it is to put away your pride in a situation where you feel you’re justified in being angry and distant. It could have easily veered into mawkishness (that first act was dangerously close at times), and I’m not really sure what kept it from going over that line apart from its absolute honesty.

A few scenes that stuck out to me: I thought the confrontation between Amanda and David about Sandrine’s toothbrush was *brilliant,* and Amanda’s anger at being set adrift between David and her great aunt so perfectly captured the impossibility of anchoring a child after a major loss.

It was a difficult watch, though, and I’m not sure I’d have gone into it tonight had I known about the subject matter in advance. I lost an aunt in December who left behind two sons, one only twelve. I saw so much of him in Amanda, even though he’s a bit older, and that scene in which Amanda comes home to the perfectly-framed empty apartment only for reality to set back in when David flicks on the light left me a total wreck because of it. There are still moments like that, and I suspect there will be for a long time to come.
A very, very good film, domino harvey, and undoubtedly one of the best of the year, but I should have heeded your warning about crying.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Amanda will be playing theatres and be available On Demand in the UK on January 3rd of next year. Please be aware that, of course, AE spoils the film in its single line description. I find it truly mind boggling that no one except the Lincoln Center programmers had the good sense to word their descriptions to preserve the plot‘s impact

Take it from me, and soundchaser, and almost everyone else: go in blind if you can, and have tissues on hand!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#28 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Just discovered Luc Moullet was one of Hers' biggest boosters early in his career. Time must have mellowed him, because his comments actually make sense!
Luc Moullet wrote:Hers' genius is based on a new and masterful rendering of time, which gives the impression of embracing reality fully

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#29 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:39 pm
Just discovered Luc Moullet was one of Hers' biggest boosters early in his career. Time must have mellowed him, because his comments actually make sense!
Luc Moullet wrote:Hers' genius is based on a new and masterful rendering of time, which gives the impression of embracing reality fully
where did you find this article Was it Positif?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Which from the credit I gather is from the catalog for a screening program of Moullet's own films (perhaps there was a component in the text of Moullet reflecting on modern French cinema?)

Moullet gave a 17 minute interview on Hers as a bonus feature on one of Hers' films as well

While Google searching Moullet and Hers, I found this amusing interview, wherein Moullet praises Pineapple Express and expresses a desire to see more Judd Appatow films!