The Lists Project

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
therewillbeblus

Re: The Lists Project

#2176 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:06 pm

I find it helpful to subscribe to all the threads with projects I’m interested in participating in and get email alerts on my phone when there are updates, which makes me more aware of the timeline so it becomes difficult to miss any deadlines.

senseabove

#2177 Post by senseabove » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Yes, thread subscriptions and the Active Topics tab are the prompt for most of my interaction with the board. But you have to know the Lists sub-forum exists and know the project is underway before you can subscribe to it. Since there was lamenting over the lack of participants in some lists, above, just made me wonder. If more people had opportunities to come across the sub-forum and see the List threads bumped because those threads were included in the Active Topics tab...

Altair

#2178 Post by Altair » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm

I just used the Unread Posts tab to keep up to date with what's current (and Lists Projects show up there, too).

senseabove

#2179 Post by senseabove » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Altair wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm
I just used the Unread Posts tab to keep up to date with what's current (and Lists Projects show up there, too).
Which I had completely forgotten existed! I guess I don't look to that corner of the page except for Notifications, and they get all my attention when I do.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2180 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm

I've flagged Chris on this a few times, I think there's some reason it can't be added to Active Topics. I agree it would be preferable to be included

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2181 Post by cdnchris » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:10 pm

I need to look at this again but I'm pretty sure it has to do with it being a private sub forum only open to members

senseabove

#2182 Post by senseabove » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:17 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:10 pm
I need to look at this again but I'm pretty sure it has to do with it being a private sub forum only open to members
I assumed that was the case at first, but I can currently see the Lists sub-forum without being logged in...

theflirtydozen

#2183 Post by theflirtydozen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:05 pm
As far as I know, no one's made Letterboxd lists for any of our recent List Projects. If you're interested, go for it!
Here you go! (for the decades lists, at least) pre-1920's | 1920's | 1930's | 1940's
Anyone should let me know if I fumbled the importing, especially with the notes. I also relied on the imdb lists by TMDaines, so special thanks to them! Hopefully I'll keep up on this as we go through the later decades.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2184 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks for doing this, I was hoping someone would!

theflirtydozen

#2185 Post by theflirtydozen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:55 pm

It's no problem! I could easily do this for other lists the board has made recently (assuming there are IMDB lists already), I just only participate in the decades lists so I'm fairly certain I'll stay on top of those. Also, wasn't sure if this was the best place for these, or if I should have put them in the individual list threads or even the Letterboxd thread.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2186 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Might be worth us adding these (and any other ones) and TMDaines’ IMDB lists to the stickied List Project FAQ at some point, but in the interim I think this is as good a place as any to share

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2187 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 pm

I'm wondering if mods and members might feel like, and be receptive to, consider re-timing the various lists projects, like adding a month (or 2-3 weeks at least), because of the virus outbreak. In the past 20 days or so (I haven't counted and may be off base, but it feels like that anyway), I've not had a chance to watch a single film, or anything (except Eckhart Tolle videos), as I've had to adapt quickly and massively for my work (and life), and spend the little free time left coping with anxiety and overthinking (I'm self-employed and live alone, with a mortgage left to pay, etc. etc.). Rationally I'm becoming more aware I should be fine, I'm in a better position than a lot of people, and I actually don't have that many horror films left to watch for the horror project (and if necessary I'll just watch them after the project is over), but hopefully in the coming week or 2 I'll start to have more time and a receptive state of mind to start viewing again.

If I'm a lone voice, no problem, I'll just adapt, but I just thought I'd put this idea out there.

therewillbeblus

#2188 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks for initiating the conversation, RV. I was thinking about this but considering I'm also ahead of the curve on the current projects and the Wilder list is next, which I'll likely only passively participate in, it didn't feel pertinent to mention. Having said that, we don't want another Shakespeare repeat and flexibility to ensure list submissions and members' abilities to actually enjoy the projects should probably be prioritized. Since we really don't know how this will play out I think it's going to be dependent as things flow, but as someone who is being told daily that any moment I could be redeployed to working triple shifts around the clock with sick kids infecting myself until I have to tap out and quarantine, the predictability of my life too, just like everyone's, isn't exactly safe right now. I'm down to leave it up to the mods on a case-by-case basis too, who have been flexible in the past around these lists under certain circumstances so I don't think it'll be too challenging to feel it out as things progress.

Rayon Vert

#2189 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 pm

I've been averaging usually a 5-to-7 film per week average for the list projects (which is all I watch, I don't have Netflix or cable TV of any kind) and even if I start calming down and adapting in the next weeks, it's likely that will be reduced to weekend-only watching, as weekday evenings are spent stress managing, disinfecting, etc. We'll see.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2190 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:30 pm

I already stretched out the '50s list to 9 months and that deadline is still 5 months away but I can certainly shuffle things around if enough people want it

therewillbeblus

#2191 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:38 pm

I was referring more to how the smaller lists usually have some flex based on circumstances, or at least appear to have in the past when scrolling through, just to ensure participation. I’m not too worried about the decades ones but I also went on a spree early so I shouldn’t be the leading voice on that one.

Rayon Vert

#2192 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:43 pm

I would take an additional month (or 2!) on the 50s, that I'll finally join back up after the horror list, but that's just me. I'll do with whatever the majority wants.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2193 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:43 pm

I’m in no rush to tally the Horror List, so if people want another month, that’s fine with me

Rayon Vert

#2194 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 pm

And of course the horror list project was timed perfectly for the current events.

p.s. that's a yes from me

therewillbeblus

#2195 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:04 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 pm
And of course the horror list project was timed perfectly for the current events.
Does this mean you’ll classify Contagion as horror?(!)

Rayon Vert

#2196 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:06 pm

I guess I have to now. :shock: :oops:

TMDaines

#2197 Post by TMDaines » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:41 am

I'm watching more films than I've done in the last few years due to the time saved on commuting. I'd vote against extending the deadlines for the decades lists, as no time is ever enough for them and we need to keep them ticking over. You could give me another year to focus on 50s films and I'd only discover more to watch.

Some of the director list projects I do find too short though. 3 months or even 2.5 months would be better than 2 months for them. I'm not so interested in the genre ones.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2198 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:58 am

I wouldn’t be extending any future list time spans, and so far it looks like RV is the only one wanting the Horror List’s deadline extended

Rayon Vert

#2199 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 am

I'm fine with keeping the decades list as they are, if I'm the only voice. But here's a thought: a month could be added to the 50s, but the 60s start at the already planned date nevertheless (the 50s reveal would occur as the 60s are a month in) - so there's be more time for those who want to watch more, but it wouldn't affect the timeline of the whole project.

Even with 4 months or so for the 50s (after I finish horror), I'll probably only have time to do rewatches, and even then not all I planned to if events continue impacting.

Rayon Vert

#2200 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:58 am
I wouldn’t be extending any future list time spans, and so far it looks like RV is the only one wanting the Horror List’s deadline extended
Yeah I'm fine if nobody else wants to extend it.