Criterion and Warner Bros.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Fiery Angel

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#101 Post by Fiery Angel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:37 pm

AisleSeat wrote:DVDBeaver is showing Zabriskie Point being released by Warner Home Video. Amazon.com lists a release date of May 26, 2009.
Old news, dude!

Kowalski

#102 Post by Kowalski » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:57 pm

I remember The Butcher Boy was announced a bare bones and ended up having a few special features such as a commentary track... hopefully the Warner Brother release of Zabriskie Point will end up having the recorded commentary. Hopefully it will have the correct musical ques too!!

Glad to have some more confirmation on Suburbia, again he was quite passionate about the film when he talked about getting it out a few years back at SXSW. Good for him. Bit of a disappointment on the Before Sun-films, Badlands and Zabriskie Point Criterion disinformation. Sound like austinfilm stitched together what sounded like fact as a false truth. Had a feeling with the proofs bit... Sounded a bit off. and that bit about Linklater knowing how many films Criterion had licensed. Why would he know that? I still have hopes on the long rumored Badlands, just as I do for Thin Red Line. They are just the kinds of releases film lovers wish for. I hate when people put forward false info! Why?
Last edited by Kowalski on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AisleSeat

#103 Post by AisleSeat » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:06 pm

Fiery Angel wrote:
AisleSeat wrote:DVDBeaver is showing Zabriskie Point being released by Warner Home Video. Amazon.com lists a release date of May 26, 2009.
Old news, dude!
Yeah, it certainly is. I should have read back further in the thread than I did.

Anyway, I can't see Warners stepping on its own Zabriskie Point sales by licensing the film to a potential competitor. Maybe five years or so down the road, but not now, particularly as their own release is just a few months away.

ianungstad

#104 Post by ianungstad » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Kowalski wrote:I remember The Butcher Boy was announced a bare bones and ended up having a few special features such as a commentary track... hopefully the Warner Brother release of Zabriskie Point will end up having the recorded commentary. Hopefully it will have the correct musical ques too!!

Glad to have some more confirmation on Slacker, again he was quite passionate about the film when he talked about getting it out a few years back at SXSW. Good for him. Bit of a disappointment on the Before Sun-films, Badlands and Zabriskie Point Criterion disinformation. Sound like austinfilm stitched together what sounded like fact as a false truth. Had a feeling with the proofs bit... Sounded a bit off. and that bit about Linklater knowing how many films Criterion had licensed. Why would he know that? I still have hopes on the long rumored Badlands, just as I do for Thin Red Line. They are just the kinds of releases film lovers wish for. I hate when people put forward false info! Why?
Well, once we get a response from Mulvaney we'll get an idea if anything he wrote was true. Obviously he did not see any proofs when he supposedly visited Marc English. I find it strange that apparently both Marc and Linklater let random fans off the street come into their offices and chat with them about WB acquisitions by Criterion. As pointed out, it is also strange that Linklater would know the exact number of films and who was doing supplements for which films, even with him having one film in the pie.

Apparently he was right about Soderbergh recording a commentary for ZP. So it's all in the air really...If Mulvaney confirms either ZP or Badlands, I'll offer my sincere apologies, but there's just too many red flags at the moment.

Kowalski

#105 Post by Kowalski » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:38 am

I've emailed Detour. Waiting for response. Expecting a big NO.

Matt

#106 Post by Matt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Has anyone mentioned the possibility of Star 80? I know, I know. I'll just go back to my corner and suck on this piece of string.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#107 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Matt wrote:Has anyone mentioned the possibility of Star 80? I know, I know. I'll just go back to my corner and suck on this piece of string.
Dear God in Heaven, I hope you choke on it [-X

Cronenfly

#108 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:35 pm

I called...
I've heard rumors that Criterion will be releasing a number of titles licensed from Warner Brothers, including (but not limited to) Richard Linklater's SubUrbia, Michelangelo Antonioni's Zabriskie Point, and Terence Malick's Badlands. While I understand the often sensitive nature of licensing agreements (especially when no titles have been officially announced), any information you could share with regards to these titles specifically and/or the Warner Bros. deal more generally would be much appreciated.
and Mulvaney answered...
Sorry, I don't have anything to share on that topic at this time, but feel free to check back. Thanks for your e-mail!

Sincerely,
Jon Mulvaney

Arthur House

#109 Post by Arthur House » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Greetings. Longtime “guest”, first time poster. Checking in with some long-shot speculations.

Snow Angels- David Gordon-Green is already in the collection, and the Warner Independent disc (one of their final releases) is completely bare-bones. Criterion could probably add on a commentary and/or some interviews amongst other things.

Lili-Mainly because I’m surprised that—given their track record w/MGM musical and dance films—Warner hasn’t done it already. Probably would be a good money-maker for Criterion if they got it.

Two Weeks In Another Town-No Minnelli in the collection? Warner hasn’t put this out (despite putting the trailer on their The Bad and The Beautiful flipper), so it could happen.

Alex In Wonderland-Mazursky’s 8 ½ knock-off, complete with a Fellini cameo. Criterion doesn’t have a lot of American New Wave, and putting this out would be a step in the right direction.

You’re A Big Boy Now & The Rain People-Early Coppola that Warner may still own. A disc of the latter film could come with George Lucas’ contemporary “making of ” doc.

The Lusty Men & Party Girl-Criterion wasn’t done any Nicholas Ray. Warner owns both of these, and aside from a French edition of the latter film, they haven’t come out on DVD. However, sometimes Warner will toss a sought after title out in R2 before dropping it in the states (see: Some Came Running, Zabriskie Point)

While The City Sleeps & Beyond A Reasonable Doubt-Both are RKO titles by Fritz Lang that I believe Warner owns. However, they may want to hold on to them for one of their own noir/crime boxsets.

fdm

#110 Post by fdm » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:54 am

HarryLong wrote:Since Warners refuses to do anything with it, it'd be nice if Criterion could snag Ken Russell's THE DEVILS.
Hmmm...

Cold Bishop

#111 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:16 am

One will believe it when they see it. I wouldn't be surprised if they stick the old butchered version on the DVD and released it pan-and-scan. That's how much lack of respect Warner have for the film.

arsonfilms

#112 Post by arsonfilms » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:05 am

Cronenfly wrote:
Sorry, I don't have anything to share on that topic at this time, but feel free to check back. Thanks for your e-mail!

Sincerely,
Jon Mulvaney
This non-response seems to indicate that a nerve was hit. Not having anything to share is very, very different from "no plans."

justeleblanc

#113 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 am

So does this mean we should hold-off on buying Warner's Zabriskie Point?

Arthur House

#114 Post by Arthur House » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:34 pm

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but Truffaut's The Green Room is an MGM/UA property (via New World), who put it out on VHS. For some unknown reason, the studio overlooked it when they put out the rest of their Truffaut holdings on DVD in the states a few years back, although a P & S disc has been issued in Europe. ](*,)

knives

#115 Post by knives » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:43 pm

This might be a very far out assumption, but is it possible that The Fountain is getting picked up. I read somewhere that Aronofsky desperately wants a better DVD out and the dollar signs may be too much for Criterion to not pick up this one, especially after The Wrestler.

kaujot

#116 Post by kaujot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Is there really that big of an audience for The Fountain, though?

jaredsap

#117 Post by jaredsap » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 pm

kaujot wrote:Is there really that big of an audience for The Fountain, though?
Yes. There's a big audience of people who would pay Criterion not to release it.

kaujot

#118 Post by kaujot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Ba-zing!

dx23

#119 Post by dx23 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:59 pm

fdm wrote:
HarryLong wrote:Since Warners refuses to do anything with it, it'd be nice if Criterion could snag Ken Russell's THE DEVILS.
Hmmm...
That guy at Blu-ray.com is posting news from 2008.

Arthur House

#120 Post by Arthur House » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:15 pm

I noticed while shopping on Amazon today that Zabriskie Point has been bumped to June 30th.

beamish13

#121 Post by beamish13 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:47 pm

would it be too much to ask for an acceptable DVD of "The World According to Garp" finally?

planetjake

#122 Post by planetjake » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Cracking Up by Jerry Lewis? Was this even given a proper theatrical release? How amazing would a Criterion release of a Lewis film be?!?!

ianungstad

#123 Post by ianungstad » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:35 am

I really don't see Criterion passing up a chance to license Akira Kurosawa's Dreams even though it's already on DVD. I would be very surprised if it wasn't one of the two unknowns. I'm hoping this deal paves the way for more licensing opportunities with WB in the future. It would be nice if the other unknown film was Brewster McCloud.

Jeff

#124 Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Home Theater Forum will be doing one of their chats with Warner on March 23. They've been kind of useless the last few times, but this may be our chance to find out the details on the Criterion deal.

denti alligator

#125 Post by denti alligator » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Jeff wrote:Home Theater Forum will be doing one of their chats with Warner on March 23. They've been kind of useless the last few times, but this may be our chance to find out the details on the Criterion deal.
And yet again to ask about the silents (Greed, Vidor, etc.) and Magnificent Ambersons.