Before Sunrise, Before Sunset
Ambersons
The Green Room
Brewster McCloud
Barfly

beamish13

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#52 Post by beamish13 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:30 pm

If Criterion's going to spring for "Devils", they should snatch up "Lisztomania", as well.

justeleblanc

#53 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:14 am

beamish13 wrote:If Criterion's going to spring for "Devils", they should snatch up "Lisztomania", as well.
If all of Russell's 70s biopics or 70's composers biopics were with one studio, I could see an Eclipse set involving Lisztomania. However, while Lisztomania and Savage Messiah are with Warner, Valentino and The Music Lovers are with MGM (I think), and Mahler is oddly enough with Janus. And I don't see Criterion releasing these films individually, except for maybe The Devils.

It's times like these that I miss HVE, for surely films like Mahler would finally see a DVD release.

Randomly curious, but did Warner ever say that The Boy Friend was going to be in a musicals box set?

knives

#54 Post by knives » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:26 am

Just for clarifications sake, they're sitting on Mahler for an eclipse set yet give Fan Fan a release?

justeleblanc

#55 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:05 am

knives wrote:Just for clarifications sake, they're sitting on Mahler for an eclipse set yet give Fan Fan a release?
Fan Fan was Rialto's doing.

And no, I don't see a Russell Eclipse set since his themes biopics are spread out among different distributors. Mahler may never see the light of day on DVD.

Arthur Bannister

#56 Post by Arthur Bannister » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:31 am

Matt wrote:The LD extras were fantastic, among the best of the laserdisc era, but I think Ambersons is one title you can definitely count on Warner keeping for themselves.
Thanks for the lowdown on the LD extras, Matt. Here's hoping they'll be utilized however it turns out.

I fear you may be right about Criterion's chances for this title, though. Beatrice's legal assault could well be a factor. If Ambersons must be Warner's I do wish they'd get on with it, then.

kaujot

#57 Post by kaujot » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:52 am

Aaaand, let's not forget the sorely needed update to Lone Star!

austinfilm

#58 Post by austinfilm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:58 pm

The Facts on Warner/ CC releases (as I've been told by the filmmakers):

Linklater's Suburbia is in the process of the Criterion treatment. He also told me that when he met with them to discuss what he would like done for that they asked if he could contribute to their versions of Badlands and Zabriskie Point. Linklater is a good friend of fellow Austin resident Malick (there are collectible Malick posters littering his office).

I can also tell you that Linklater informed me that Steven Soderbergh has recorded a commentary track for Zabriskie Point. a friend interviewed Soderbergh for an article on Che and the filmmaker confirmed this with him.

As for the Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset is also on the way. I am not sure who is releasing it. I saw proofs by designer Marc English (Austin based graphic artist who did the DVD art for both Dazed and Confused and Slacker). Based on the proofs (though no criterion logo on the set), it would seem that they are also being released by Criterion. I asked if any of his other films would get the CC treatment and he said the after BS/BS and Suburbia, Newton Boys and Tape would be a possibility but that release is still a ways down the road.

kaujot

#59 Post by kaujot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Warner's just recently announced that they were putting out Zabriskie Point, though since it's completely barebones, perhaps it's like the limitless editions of Dazed and Confused from Universal.

Jeff

#60 Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:50 pm

austinfilm wrote:Criterion treatment..of Badlands and Zabriskie Point

Steven Soderbergh has recorded a commentary track for Zabriskie Point

Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset is also on the way.

Tape would be a possibility
Oh, I really hope you're not just fucking with us. This is all such glorious news!

kaujot

#61 Post by kaujot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Jeff wrote:
austinfilm wrote:Criterion treatment..of Badlands and Zabriskie Point

Steven Soderbergh has recorded a commentary track for Zabriskie Point

Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset is also on the way.

Tape would be a possibility
Oh, I really hope you're not just fucking with us. This is all such glorious news!
I see you left off Newton Boys. ;)

ianungstad

#62 Post by ianungstad » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 pm

When I emailed Linklater's production company they said that there were no plans for before sunrise/before sunset but plans for SubUrbia. Strange. Are you sure about those two?

I bet Criterion is pissed that we even know all this.
Last edited by ianungstad on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austinfilm

#63 Post by austinfilm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:16 pm

i am fairly certain based on the art i have seen, though like i said it could just be an se of bs/bs not a criterion. suburbia, badlands and zp are for sure, basically done and awaiting release

jaredsap

#64 Post by jaredsap » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:18 pm

austinfilm wrote:As for the Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset is also on the way. I am not sure who is releasing it. I saw proofs by designer Marc English (Austin based graphic artist who did the DVD art for both Dazed and Confused and Slacker). Based on the proofs (though no criterion logo on the set), it would seem that they are also being released by Criterion. I asked if any of his other films would get the CC treatment and he said the after BS/BS and Suburbia, Newton Boys and Tape would be a possibility but that release is still a ways down the road.
At the start of this paragraph, you say you're not sure if BEFORE SUNRISE / BEFORE SUNSET are coming form Criterion. But at the end of the paragraph, you essentially say Linklater personally told you they're coming from Criterion. Uh...

MTRodaba2468

#65 Post by MTRodaba2468 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:32 pm

dx23 wrote:New Line titles I could see Criterion releasing:

Sid & Nancy (although I don't know if MGM got the rights to it, but their releases are OOP)
Damage
American History X (the long running .com joke)
Bamboozled
Mar Adentro
The New World
Birth
Punch Drunk Love
John Waters films
Little Children
The King of Kong
Sid & Nancy is MGM (they put out a rather piss-poor SE of it last year), American History X is getting a Blu-Ray release courtesy of Warner Bros. (with more bonuses than what was on the DVD) and Punch Drunk Love is distributed by Sony.

austinfilm

#66 Post by austinfilm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 pm

probably shouldn't have bothered posting, just telling you that i know. i am trying to put information out there as i thought people would want to know. nitpick away, are you gonna correct grammar too?

ianungstad

#67 Post by ianungstad » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:49 pm

Nobody is nitpicking. We are just confused. Did Linklater tell you that Before Sunrise and Before Sunset were coming out on Criterion, or did you make the assumption because the artwork you saw looked criterion-esque. I'm sure we are all grateful to you for sharing your information...we just need a little clarification to understand it.

austinfilm

#68 Post by austinfilm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset is also on the way. I am not sure who is releasing it. The proofs I saw were criterion-esque but I am not sure, just saw the artwork.... didn't ask. there was no criterion logo on the artwork, but it looked to artistic to be a WB release.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#69 Post by Tribe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:01 am

austinfilm wrote:probably shouldn't have bothered posting, just telling you that i know. i am trying to put information out there as i thought people would want to know. nitpick away, are you gonna correct grammar too?
Hell, no...post away...I understood what you wrote.

jaredsap

#70 Post by jaredsap » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:03 am

austinfilm wrote:probably shouldn't have bothered posting, just telling you that i know. i am trying to put information out there as i thought people would want to know. nitpick away, are you gonna correct grammar too?
I'm not trying to be pedantic and I appreciate you posting. Criterion releases of BADLANDS and BEFORE SUNRISE / BEFORE SUNSET would be absolutely phenomenal. But given that you're brand new to the forum, I was trying to clear up confusion before expectations go through the roof (especially since Linklater's production company just denied a Criterion BS / BS set is in the works). There have been recent incidents here where people made outrageous claims -- like finding a print of Murnau's lost film 4 DEVILS -- that proved to be complete nonsense.

kaujot

#71 Post by kaujot » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:19 am

I can easily see Badlands being licensed, as Warner's has stated that they have absolutely no intentions of doing anything with it. Why not make some money in this economy?

austinfilm

#72 Post by austinfilm » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:21 am

i guess only the future knows. Linklater mentioned the criterion/wb deal was for 5 films. not sure what the other two are.

justeleblanc

#73 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:16 am

Is it possible the Warner deal was only for New Line titles? They are technically a separate entity.

Cronenfly

#74 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:18 am

Well, of the three definitely confirmed I think it's safe to say Zabriskie Point will be the last to come out; I could see Warner milkin' fools with the barebones edition in May (seeing as the movie's so long-awaited, even just with a decent OAR, 16x9, progressive transfer, let alone featuring supplements) and then having CC announce their loaded SE in June (or a few months later) on SD and Blu-ray (as Highway 61 suggests). What other supplements come to mind for this beyond the Soderbergh commentary/Linklater contributions?

While I personally hope that BS/BS aren't the two other titles, I wouldn't be surprised (perhaps Linklater's production company was just being cagey?); in any case, time will tell, and thank you for sharing what you know, austinfilm. It's much appreciated, and hopefully our (somewhat justified, given the 4 Devils incident et al) skepticism won't scare you away, 'cause lord knows we love our insider info 'round these here parts.
Last edited by Cronenfly on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

#75 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:24 am

justeleblanc wrote:Is it possible the Warner deal was only for New Line titles? They are technically a separate entity.
Not really anymore. We have already had SubUrbia semi-confirmed, and it's a proper Warner title.