Criterion at ATP

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Antoine Doinel

Criterion at ATP

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:54 pm

In addition to the mindblowing lineup, Criterion will be hosting films during the fest.

Cinephrenic

#2 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Hosting what though?

Antoine Doinel

#3 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:02 pm

Well, this is pretty unique for Criterion as they almost never do this sort of thing. I can only imagine they are planning to officially launch the BluRay titles shortly before the fest and will do some massive promotion there for the new line (ATP has a hip, captive audience with big wallets). Otherwise, I can't see a real reason why they should chose this fest over any of the other myriad of summer music festivals to sign up with to host films.

davebert

#4 Post by davebert » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Even My Bloody Valentine and Criterion won't get me to throw down $500 (with hotel room). I'm guessing they'll just put Kicking and Screaming on loop and head out for the shows.

miless

#5 Post by miless » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Steve Albini dealing cards is enticing.

Antoine Doinel

#6 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:29 pm

Well, Top Ten list contributor Patton Oswald will be at the fest. It would be pretty cool if they got him to do a live commentary on one of the films he likes (or more hilariously, dislikes).

chime_on

#7 Post by chime_on » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:08 am

The Criterion Cinema at ATP was very cool. They had some sort of computer system they were projecting their HD masters from-- most of what I saw looked fantastic.

Films Screened were:

Border Radio
Slacker
Sweetie
Elevator to the Gallows
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Man Bites Dog
Gimme Shelter
1991: The Year Punk Broke
Mishima
Stranger than Paradise
Down By Law
Branded to Kill
Sisters
Cinema 16 - European Shorts
My Life as a Dog
Knife in the Water
Flesh for Frankenstein
Blood for Dracula
Vampyr
Eyes Without a Face

They had Q & As with Paul Schrader and David Markey at their respective films' screenings, although I was too busy watching bands to see them.

I caught the last 20 minutes of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and about 30 minutes of Gimme Shelter while moving about the fest. The only films I had time to watch in their entirety were Sisters, which screened at 1 AM and The Year Punk Broke which followed at 2:45.

I also scored some free Criterion/Janus films swag, and won a copy of Sisters by answering a trivia question before the screening.

All in all, I thought Criterion's presence at the festival was a great thing even though I essentially had to ignore all these great screenings while the bands were playing. Maybe if they do this again next year, there'll be a few bands on the lineup that I don't want to see.

ianungstad

#8 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:12 am

It's odd that they screened Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein. I've asked them a few times over the last year if they were ever planning on bringing those two back into print since they have a pretty good relationship with Image. I never got an answer to that question though I've asked a few times. Seems odd that they would be playing it though...unless someone has another opinion on the matter?

It would also be nice to see 1991: The Year that Punk Broke on criterion. It has never had a DVD release as far as I know. You can laugh all you want but it would bring back some rather nice memories of my youth and be nice to rock out to some vintage Sonic Youth/Nirvana tunes.
Last edited by ianungstad on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#9 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:28 am

chime_on wrote:most of what I saw looked fantastic.
+
chime_on wrote:Branded to Kill
=

?

chime_on

#10 Post by chime_on » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 am

Didn't see any of Branded to Kill, it was screening at the same time Shellac was playing.

skeets kelly

#11 Post by skeets kelly » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:52 am

ianungstad wrote:It's odd that they screened Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein. I've asked them a few times over the last year if they were ever planning on bringing those two back into print since they have a pretty good relationship with Image. I never got an answer to that question though I've asked a few times. Seems odd that they would be playing it though...unless someone has another opinion on the matter?

It would also be nice to see 1991: The Year that Punk Broke on criterion. It has never had a DVD release as far as I know. You can laugh all you want but it would bring back some rather nice memories of my youth and be nice to rock out to some vintage Sonic Youth/Nirvana tunes.
year punk broke is a great documentary and they've been threatening to release it on dvd for years. it's even had a street or two in the past. a couple years ago, sonic youth announced on their site it was going to be released with a whole disc of extras but...so far nothin'.

Barmy

#12 Post by Barmy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:34 am

I don't even know what this is, but the idea that projecting "films" in HD is even remotely acceptable is pathetic.

ianungstad

#13 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:34 am

skeets kelly wrote:
ianungstad wrote:It's odd that they screened Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein. I've asked them a few times over the last year if they were ever planning on bringing those two back into print since they have a pretty good relationship with Image. I never got an answer to that question though I've asked a few times. Seems odd that they would be playing it though...unless someone has another opinion on the matter?

year punk broke is a great documentary and they've been threatening to release it on dvd for years. it's even had a street or two in the past. a couple years ago, sonic youth announced on their site it was going to be released with a whole disc of extras but...so far nothin'.
It would seem odd for them to screen it and have a question and answer with the director afterwards if they didn't plan on releasing it. I wouldn't be surprised if they taped the q&a so that it could be included as a supplement.

pianocrash

#14 Post by pianocrash » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 am

I wouldn't count The Year Punk Broke as a possibility, and only because the previous, incredibly stacked Corporate Ghost dvd held such a low price point for so much material, unless they can somehow fit even more Dave Markey into the package for a good reason, or if the pen & paper rights are just too sticky for the group to handle on its own (seems like it, since 2004?!?!). I'm pretty sure I watched this movie more than twice my current living age over the span of a few summers, but nowadays my pantomime is in need of refreshing, except when it comes to quoting (Matt) Lukin.

skeets kelly

#15 Post by skeets kelly » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:45 am

pianocrash wrote:I wouldn't count The Year Punk Broke as a possibility, and only because the previous, incredibly stacked Corporate Ghost dvd held such a low price point for so much material, unless they can somehow fit even more Dave Markey into the package for a good reason, or if the pen & paper rights are just too sticky for the group to handle on its own (seems like it, since 2004?!?!). I'm pretty sure I watched this movie more than twice my current living age over the span of a few summers, but nowadays my pantomime is in need of refreshing, except when it comes to quoting (Matt) Lukin.
SY claim there's at least a whole disc's worth of just live material that was cut from the final film. i don't even think it came out on laser disc. i remember having the VHS and i'm pretty sure the disc had a street date (again) and it never happened.

chime_on

#16 Post by chime_on » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:58 am

I saw a sign that along with Markey's Q&A they were screening some bonus footage called "This is Known as the Blues Scale," which sounds to me like the sort of thing that would be a DVD extra.

It felt nice watching The Year Punk Broke a day after seeing Thurston and Steve play Psychic Hearts, and a day before seeing Dino Jr rip through an incredible set. Somehow I had never seen it in my teenage years, although I am of that vintage. Kind of depressing to see Dave Grohl in there, considering the career trajectory he's followed.
Barmy wrote:I don't even know what this is, but the idea that projecting "films" in HD is even remotely acceptable is pathetic.
I'm no big fan of digital projection either, but it was perfectly acceptable in this context. It was a curtained off room with some chairs in a Borscht Belt country club, not a cinema. Plus, Criterion is a DVD company so it makes sense that they'd be screening their transfers rather than 35mm prints, which they might not even have the right to show. And anyways, it was a music festival, not a film festival.

Perkins Cobb

#17 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:01 pm

I guess that's a good reason not to see movies at a music festival. (Or go to Cannes for the bands.)

Adam

#18 Post by Adam » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

What is Cinema 16 - European Shorts?
Experimental works from days of Cinema 16?

ianungstad

#19 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:45 pm

Adam wrote:What is Cinema 16 - European Shorts?
It's a collection of 16 short films by European directors. Lars Von Trier, Christopher Nolan, Mathieu Kassovitz, Ridley Scott, etc.

chime_on

#20 Post by chime_on » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:33 pm

ianungstad wrote:
Adam wrote:What is Cinema 16 - European Shorts?
It's a collection of 16 short films by European directors. Lars Von Trier, Christopher Nolan, Mathieu Kassovitz, Ridley Scott, etc.
Actually, looking at the program description on the other side of the schedule, it was called World Short Films and was a selection of films from a forthcoming release which includes shorts from Park Chan-Wook, Guillermo del Toro, Sylvain Chomet, and Alfonso Cuaron.

Adam

#21 Post by Adam » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:32 pm

thanks!

ianungstad

#22 Post by ianungstad » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:34 pm

chime_on wrote:Actually, looking at the program description on the other side of the schedule, it was called World Short Films and was a selection of films from a forthcoming release which includes shorts from Park Chan-Wook, Guillermo del Toro, Sylvain Chomet, and Alfonso Cuaron.
So would this be the first bit of Korean cinema in the collection? I assume that it's Simpan, as it is the only short that he's directed.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#23 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 am

ianungstad wrote:So would this be the first bit of Korean cinema in the collection?
I don't see any reason to assume Criterion will be releasing it -- the "World Short Films" DVD is being put together by Cinema 16, not Criterion. It includes My Dad Is 100 Years Old (a Janus title), so there's a bit of a Criterion connection.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#24 Post by Faux Hulot » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:48 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:I guess that's a good reason not to see movies at a music festival. (Or go to Cannes for the bands.)
Tell that to Captain Beefheart

richast2

#25 Post by richast2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:44 pm

chime_on wrote:Didn't see any of Branded to Kill, it was screening at the same time Shellac was playing.
why they didn't show Branded to Kill behind Shellac while they were playing is beyond me. that would have been awesome.