Criterion at ATP

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
jamie_summers

Criterion to return to ATP New York Festival, September 2009

#26 Post by jamie_summers » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Criterion to return to ATP New York Festival, September 2009

Last time Criterion ran an amazing schedule of movies which included David Markey doing a Q&A and presenting his classic The Year Punk Broke along with an hour of outtakes, and Paul Schrader doing a Q&A and presenting Mishima. Who knows what this year will bring? Musical lineup so far:

FRIDAY 11TH SEPTEMBER - DON'T LOOK BACK/COMEDY
SUICIDE - Performing SUICIDE (1ST LP)
DIRTY THREE - Performing OCEAN SONGS
DAVID CROSS

SATURDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER - CURATED BY ATP
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
ANTIPOP CONSORTIUM
ATLAS SOUND
PANDA BEAR
AUTOLUX
BLACK DICE

SUNDAY 13TH SEPTEMBER - CURATED BY THE FLAMING LIPS
THE FLAMING LIPS

Full info

Taketori Washizu

Re: Criterion to present films at ATP New York

#27 Post by Taketori Washizu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Otherwise, I can't see a real reason why they should chose this fest over any of the other myriad of summer music festivals to sign up with to host films.
Because ATP is the only music festival these days that matters, and the perfect alternative to lame, corporate ones like Ozzfest, Warped or the virtually extinct Lalapalooza. ATP also has the best and most diverse lineups of great bands.

I wanted to update that information in the previous post. The Jesus Lizard are reforming and will be appearing. See the ATP website link. That is BIG! Now if only I could afford to get to New York to see this.

Antoine Doinel

#28 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Taketori Washizu wrote:
Antoine Doinel wrote:Otherwise, I can't see a real reason why they should chose this fest over any of the other myriad of summer music festivals to sign up with to host films.
Because ATP is the only music festival these days that matters, and the perfect alternative to lame, corporate ones like Ozzfest, Warped or the virtually extinct Lalapalooza. ATP also has the best and most diverse lineups of great bands.

I wanted to update that information in the previous post. The Jesus Lizard are reforming and will be appearing. See the ATP website link. That is BIG! Now if only I could afford to get to New York to see this.
Pitchfork Festival, Coachella and Sasquatch are just three other ones that are just as relevant and diverse. Btw, The Jesus Lizard are touring and playing the Pitchfork festival as well so it's not like their ATP appearance is unique. I have a feeling they chose ATP simply because it happens to be the closest to New York.

Taketori Washizu

#29 Post by Taketori Washizu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:
Taketori Washizu wrote:

Pitchfork Festival, Coachella and Sasquatch are just three other ones that are just as relevant and diverse. Btw, The Jesus Lizard are touring and playing the Pitchfork festival as well so it's not like their ATP appearance is unique. I have a feeling they chose ATP simply because it happens to be the closest to New York.
That is probably true about TJL and New York.

As for Pitchfork, eh..they represent what I hate about how the underground music scene has been co-opted.

Antoine Doinel

#30 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Co-opted by what?

Matt

#31 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:45 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Co-opted by what?
The internet, maaaan.

I can see criticizing Pitchfork for their reviewing style, but for holding an annual music festival featuring a lot of really good bands? Just exactly what are they undermining?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Matt wrote:a lot of really good bands
You are assuming something can be both good and known about by more than five people. [-X

jamie_atp

#33 Post by jamie_atp » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Full schedule for ATP NY 2009 as confirmed with us today by the Criterion folks:

http://www.atpfestival.com/Events/ATPNe ... msInfo.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colinr0380

#34 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Looks like Hunger is definitely going to be a Criterion then. And Mystery Train.

Jack Phillips

#35 Post by Jack Phillips » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:10 pm

And The Morning After.

And The Verdict.

kaujot

#36 Post by kaujot » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:12 pm

Will The Morning After be Jeff Bridges first Criterion appearance? Or am I forgetting something obvious?

Jeff

#37 Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Jack Phillips wrote:And The Morning After.

And The Verdict.
That is not an indication that the Criterion Collection will be releasing those films. Criterion Pictures is the name of the company that handles repertory distribution of 20th Century Fox's catalog. They are not related to Janus Films/The Criterion Collection. It's all in the FAQ.

kaujot

#38 Post by kaujot » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Ah, right. I forgot about those guys.

manicsounds

Jim Jarmusch at All Tomorrow's Parties

#39 Post by manicsounds » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:28 am

With clips on Criterion's website

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

Re: Criterion at ATP

#40 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 am

Already confirmed to be back for the 2010 show.

-BJ

jamie_atp

#41 Post by jamie_atp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:08 pm

As previously announced, Friday 3rd September features these performances as part of our Don't Look Back day:

IGGY & THE STOOGES performing Raw Power
SLEEP performing Holy Mountain
MUDHONEY performing Superfuzz Bigmuff + Early Singles
THE SCIENTISTS performing Blood Red River (first ever U.S. Show)
+ more to be confirmed!

Friday will also feature a Comedy Stage, details of which are to be announced soon.

NEWLY CONFIRMED - ATP celebrate 10 years with a birthday party on Sat 4th September and are happy to announce a day of past ATP curators, ATP Recordings artists and friends, with the first announcements being:

SONIC YOUTH
EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY
THE BREEDERS
F**K BUTTONS
THE BOOKS
PAPA M
APSE
+ more to be confirmed!

NEWLY CONFIRMED - Jim Jarmusch will curate Sunday 5th September and his first choices are:

THE BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE
RAEKWON
GIRLS
F*CKED UP
WOODEN SHJIPS
THE BLACK ANGELS
VIVIAN GIRLS
+ more to be confirmed!

All three days will also feature DJs and Cinema presented by Criterion.

jamie_atp

#42 Post by jamie_atp » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:30 am

Films announced for this year: http://www.atpfestival.com/events/atpne ... msinfo.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knives

#43 Post by knives » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:41 pm

More Costa and Kubrick, sounds swell. Good for Kiss Me Deadly's confirmation too. I'm surprised about the Canal title(s) though.

zedz

#44 Post by zedz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm still trying to get my head around Ne Change Rien, which seems to me about ten times less likely a Criterion title than the Fontainhas films. I love it and I'm certainly not complaining, but I'm very curious as to how they'll present it (doubled up with the Straub / Huillet film?)

knives

#45 Post by knives » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:56 pm

What makes it any more unlikely than Fontainhas? They seem to have a nice relationship with Costa, maybe they'll just eventually release all of the films he has the rights to.

zedz

#46 Post by zedz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Well, the Fontainhas films are Costa's magnum opus, with lots of ink spilt in their defence, and they have a nodding familiarity with narrative cinema. They've already attained something of a reputation as tentpoles of 21st century art cinema and they're the obvious entry point into his oeuvre. Ne Change Rien is defiantly plotless: a French actress who's barely on the international radar (let's not bring up the R-word again) tries her hand as a chanteuse and we get to watch her rehearse in the dark for an hour and a half. That's about it, really. You either find it gripping or you run screaming from the theatre.

Apart from the Brakhage sets, I don't think Criterion's ever released anything that's as remote as this is from traditional narrative cinema. Cause for applause, in my opinion, but also maybe further evidence of the remarkable sea-change in Criterion's acquisitions of late, which seem to be spreading simultaneously towards and away from the mainstream.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#47 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Couldn't it just be part of a forthcoming Eclipse, the remaining titles for which we don't yet know? Doesn't sound like something they would release on its own at all

zedz

#48 Post by zedz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:26 pm

I suppose so, but Where Lies Your Hidden Smile? is the only likely dance partner (for a two-film "Artists at Work by Pedro Costa" Eclipse?), unless they include the two earlier dramatic features as well and opt for "All the Other Features by Pedro Costa" as the title / concept.

Of course, releasing Where Lies Your Hidden Smile? in any context would open up a whole new can of worms in re. Criterion and Straub / Huillet. It would be like giving a spine number to Assayas' HHH or Claire Denis' Rivette film.

knives

#49 Post by knives » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:43 pm

Al of that sounds interesting to me. Though getting excited for 100 minutes of practicing for a part is probably a sad statement for me. I hope it doesn't end up as your eclipse suggestion though as I've already pre-ordered the SR Casa de Lava. Maybe they could sub it with his first short?
zedz wrote: Of course, releasing Where Lies Your Hidden Smile? in any context would open up a whole new can of worms in re. Criterion and Straub / Huillet. It would be like giving a spine number to Assayas' HHH or Claire Denis' Rivette film.
Sorry for the ignorance, but what? You lost me at Straub/ Huillet let alone the last sentence. All I can find is it's a television thing.

zedz

#50 Post by zedz » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:22 am

knives wrote:
zedz wrote:Of course, releasing Where Lies Your Hidden Smile? in any context would open up a whole new can of worms in re. Criterion and Straub / Huillet. It would be like giving a spine number to Assayas' HHH or Claire Denis' Rivette film.
Sorry for the ignorance, but what? You lost me at Straub/ Huillet let alone the last sentence. All I can find is it's a television thing.
Where Lies Your Hidden Smile? is a documentary about Jean-Marie Straub and Daniele Huillet editing Sicilia! Since Criterion has never indicated any level of interest in the works of Straub / Huillet (who are important filmmakers but very, very 'difficult' ones, so you can't really blame them), it would be a bit on the nose for them to release a 'making-of' for one of their films, however illustrious, while continuing to neglect their actual films. The same would be true for releasing Assayas' documentary on Hou Hsiao-hsien or Denis' one on Jacques Rivette in the absence of releases of actual films by those filmmakers, both of whom have any number of key works that remain unavailable in R1. All of which is purely speculative, anyway.

Back to Ne change rien - I'm definitely in the camp that finds it hypnotic. It may be all about process, but when you surrender to that, Balibar going over the same phrase dozens of times becomes fascinating. And Costa makes every composition exquisite, which is good news, as you tend to be stuck with them for quite some time.