'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Highway 61

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation

#2326 Post by Highway 61 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:Most people are usually going for the Blu-ray for certain releases to avoid double-dipping later.
Definitely. I'd buy Homicide in a heartbeat, but I'll be holding out to see if ends up on Blu in the next year or two (frankly, I don't see why Criterion isn't releasing it on Blu right now, because unlike, say, Rossellini or Godard, Mamet has major appeal with the AICN and HTF demographics, so I'm sure it would sell very well).

I wonder if Criterion regrets pricing their Blu-rays equal to their SD counterparts? If they had charged an extra five or ten bucks for them, would they be able to put out more titles like the upcoming Godards, and thus guarantee sales on both the SD and HD fronts?

Derek Estes

#2327 Post by Derek Estes » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 pm

I'm just really anxious for the new editions of Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss! Not to mention an anamorphic Withnail & I, not to be too indulgent!

justeleblanc

#2328 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Just a thought, but the Gershwin estate owns the rights to Preminger's PORGY AND BESS and Resnais's GERSHWIN. Would anyone else want to see Criterion release the Preminger with the Resnais as a special feature, and does anyone think such a package is a possibility?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2329 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:33 pm

Has Porgy and Bess even screened in retros or anything? It my impression that it was buried after release, never to be seen since
Flike wrote:Off the top of my head [...] Shanghai Express [...] have all been "confirmed" as coming this year, several (or most, rather) very recently.
lolololololol it'll come out the same month as the Gorin box

Jeff

#2330 Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:56 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Just a thought, but the Gershwin estate owns the rights to Preminger's PORGY AND BESS and Resnais's GERSHWIN. Would anyone else want to see Criterion release the Preminger with the Resnais as a special feature, and does anyone think such a package is a possibility?
It sounds like the Gershwin estate hates it and wants it to remain buried. Even if someone could get the rights, the original elements are all lost or fucked up. There would have to be a massive, expensive restoration from the UCLA print or separation masters or something.

movielocke

#2331 Post by movielocke » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 am

So we've got a handful of emerging trends:

- an increase in lower priced releases
- creating incentive to buy lower priced releases (exclusive to arthouse rather than replicating only mainline releases)
- an increase in blu-ray catalog titles
- a decrease in the number of regular catalog titles
- an increase in films from the last twenty years I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one a month from now on.

sounds like recession related to me. they're upping the ante on titles they don't think will sell as well as SD mainline releases. I'm also guessing that they're trying to increase the success of EA with exclusives to that line, to induce more people to buy. They've seen that bluray catalog releases (and bluray simultaneous releases) sell very well so they're upping production there. Possibly due to people not wanting to double dip in the future (as well as general recession cut backs) they've seen dips in sales of SD spine number new releases, so they've cut back the amount of releases there.

I made a joke about an Armageddon bluray earlier, but that's the sort of title that could really help them. while I sort of doubt they'd release it, I think we'll see one of the more high profile modern titles, like Chasing Amy, get a bluray release very soon.

Jun-Dai
監督

#2332 Post by Jun-Dai » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:51 am

I wonder how much CC is being affected by the recession. I'd actually expect it would hit them as badly as a lot of other luxury brands, but who knows? (not me).

That said, given the large list of titles we're all expecting, it could be that they've gotten so involved in a lot of larger-than-usual productions, and it's really hurting their ability to push out titles. I have to imagine CC's not in a position to turn down Fincher, Soderbergh, Scorsese, and lord knows who else, and if they're all coming at once, surely their regular output is going to suffer. I bet one Curious Case chews up more of CC's time than 2 or 3 regular titles.

nsps

#2333 Post by nsps » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:05 am

That makes sense, Jun-Dai, although there was some discussion regarding how much Criterion was actually involved in the production of Button's extras.

Also, movielocke: I'd seen a lot of things saying that catalogue HD titles (in general, not for Criterion) weren't selling that well. When did that turn around?

Tommaso

#2334 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:46 am

movielocke wrote: Possibly due to people not wanting to double dip in the future (as well as general recession cut backs) they've seen dips in sales of SD spine number new releases, so they've cut back the amount of releases there.
I agree, though one might include not only double-dipping in the future, but also in the present if you look at films already available outside R1. Great as their releases of "Empire of Passion", "Il generale delle Rovere" or now "Marienbad" probably are, they are already out there somewhere in good shape (the Italian "Rovere" couldn't be bettered and even has a different cut of the film as an extra). I suppose many people (because of the recession or not) would abstain from double-dipping in these cases, too. That said, the Essential Art House titles all look great, and if the transfers are up to their usual standards, I'm glad to buy these films in this form.
Cinephrenic wrote:Janus Arthouse line has become another Eclipse as stated above, to release films that can't be paired. I wouldn't be surprised to see films like The Eternal Return, La Symphonie pastorale, Les Visiteurs du soir, other Bergmans released.
Like in former years, all the truly interesting releases with some exceptions seem to be pushed into the low price segment; which is equally a blessing and a curse, of course. And yes, to see these films you mention being released would make me overjoyed; but hell, they DO need extras.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2335 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:36 pm

[img]http://criterion_images.s3.amazonaws.com/Other/ImagesneedingURLs/wackyangel1.jpg[/img]

Bullshit. What's worse, they made an angel lie to us.

Zazou dans le Metro

#2336 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:40 pm

Maybe it's going to be an Indian summer extending into October. In other words stand by for a joint top billing with Monsoon Wedding.

Tom Hagen

#2337 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Let's hope that this is related to a) The Human Condition delay or b) the extra time needed to put together a Wenders box set/new acquisitions made possible by the Anchor Bay set going OOP.

Perkins Cobb

#2338 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Maybe they've just been fucking with us in the newsletter clues, starting with the angel. "What'll really set those pedantic forum knobs off? Che? No, wait, wait, a Criterion Monsoon Wedding!!!" Tamara's revenge.

Seriously, any speculation on whether the new Essential Arthouse transfers will be at all subpar? The Beav was kind of lukewarm on Le jour se leve and I doubt it'll get an upgrade.

Tommaso

#2339 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:58 pm

I suppose that it will be very much like Eclipse releases for those titles not already available: good transfers, but no cleaning-up or other restoration work. It will all depend on what materials they get, and if there's already an existing transfer elsewhere, it might simply be put onto disc again.

Svevan

#2340 Post by Svevan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Is it possible we're bitching too early? Counting The Human Condition, all three September titles are scheduled for the 8th of September; perhaps there will be another announcement of a title or two later today, or later in the week. I think there's a precedent for that.

edit: Just remembered that the Blu re-releases are coming out 22 Sep, and the Essential Arthouse flicks are coming out 15 Sep. So...maybe not.

anvilscepe

#2341 Post by anvilscepe » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Now that New Yorker has gone belly up, does anyone know if Criterion would release Lodge Kerrigan’s Claire Dolan? They already have a relationship with him and the movie is quite excellent.

Can anyone offer any insight?

James

#2342 Post by James » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:10 pm

I really hope we get "by Brakhage 2" soon.

Max von Mayerling

#2343 Post by Max von Mayerling » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 pm

I suspect movielocke is more or less on target. This is a business model in evolution (further evidenced by the monthly streaming). I wish they were releasing more of what I'd like to see, but I suppose that on some level I should be thankful that they appear to be trying to keep their model viable. I read the Howard's End thing as another small reminder as to how marginal this market really is. Debates about the merits of Kwaidan vs. Picnic at Hanging Rock are not exactly front and center in the marketplace. And while I support those who are calling for a more diverse body of films on dvd, I shudder at the thought of trying to start a dvd business aiming at such a target. The majors re-release the same old tired shit in new editions all the time because it sells. I just hope the war trilogy (and the Sternberg flicks) are coming soon as promised.

Jun-Dai
監督

#2344 Post by Jun-Dai » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:03 pm

anvilscepe wrote:Now that New Yorker has gone belly up, does anyone know if Criterion would release Lodge Kerrigan’s Claire Dolan? They already have a relationship with him and the movie is quite excellent.

I'm pretty sure that depends on how New Yorker Film's auction went.

LightBulbFilm

#2345 Post by LightBulbFilm » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:29 am

Jun-Dai wrote:
anvilscepe wrote:Now that New Yorker has gone belly up, does anyone know if Criterion would release Lodge Kerrigan’s Claire Dolan? They already have a relationship with him and the movie is quite excellent.

I'm pretty sure that depends on how New Yorker Film's auction went.
I just read that Technicolor held on to the rights.

anvilscepe

#2346 Post by anvilscepe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:31 pm

Great. Thank you guys.

As terrible as it sounds to me, I guess we will have to wait and see how things evolve.

aox

#2347 Post by aox » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:24 pm

8 1/2 on Blu, please. Thanks.

El Manchego

#2348 Post by El Manchego » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Mon oncle d'Amérique aired on IFC this weekend and was preceeded by the Janus logo. I know New Yorker released it ages ago but I hadn't heard anything about it becoming a Janus property. Did I completely miss something or is this possibly a recent acquisition?

Jun-Dai
監督

#2349 Post by Jun-Dai » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:42 pm

I think this came up a year and a half ago. It also shows up in this mysterious 2006 spreadsheet about world films on cable as a Janus title.

Not sure what that means in the way of imminent Criterion release, but it's hopeful.

Antoine Doinel

#2350 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Given Criterion's new relationship with Focus, I think Jarmusch's The Limits Of Control has a good shot at being handled by CC.