Criterion and Miramax

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Criterion and Miramax

#126 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 pm

But wouldn't this be the best time for Criterion to cherry pick a few titles before the library is sold off? Surely this would reduce the price for the potential buyer, and be the most attractive conclusion for everyone involved.

Jeff

#127 Post by Jeff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:06 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:But wouldn't this be the best time for Criterion to cherry pick a few titles before the library is sold off? Surely this would reduce the price for the potential buyer, and be the most attractive conclusion for everyone involved.
I don't see it happening, just because Filmyard (the new owner) will likely get the best deal on the full package that includes the gems. If Criterion buys up the rights to all of the big name titles first, the value of the rest of the library goes way down. Of course I'm probably just talking out my ass here.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#128 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:08 pm

I don't know that Criterion is necessarily only interested in the 'big name' titles in regards to what'll actually make the most money upon release, though.

flyonthewall2983

#129 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Minkin

#130 Post by Minkin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Criterion Cast's top ten Miramax films that need to come to Criterion..

I really hope Criterion has Miramax on the phone now.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#131 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:35 pm

I'd have no qualms with anything on that list.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#132 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:59 pm

How is Exotica not numbers 1 through 10 on that list?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#133 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:03 pm

I can do without pretty much that whole list (though the unreleased Kiarostami and Princess Mononoke would be neat). What we really need is a release of Sonatine with well timed subtitles and special features where Tarantino isn't going on about his minimal knowledge of yakuza cinema.

Mr. Ned

#134 Post by Mr. Ned » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Pulp Fiction #1? Really? The two-discer from way back when is fine as it is, in terms of packaging and content; I revisited the Trainspotting disc about a month ago and can't think of any additional supplements that would have me scampering for a double dip. The only things on that list I agree with are Mimic, My Voyage to Italy and Through the Olive Trees. I've only seen the last of the three and clips of Italy, but those all seem like the type of under the radar choices CC is known for; Olive Trees is also a masterpiece. My DVD savviness is not on par with other folks on here so I can't comment on what should be on there instead, but that's my two cents.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#135 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Who has the rights to Where Is the Friend's Home? and Life and Nothing More? Both of these plus Olive Trees and a re-release of Taste of Cherry should be packaged together on Blu-ray in a [dies of excitement]

Tom Hagen

#136 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:58 pm

What reason would the new Miramax have for giving Pulp Fiction to Criterion, when it would be a badly-needed top money-maker for itself?

ianungstad

#137 Post by ianungstad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:24 pm

The new Miramax has NO home video distribution and with the market in steep decline aren't going to spend a small fortune building a distribution network. Some company will land Pulp Fiction and the other high profile titles.

They could easily sign a deal with a company like Lionsgate. I don't think they'll license out individual titles. (Too much hassle) They'll just ink a deal for the whole library.
Last edited by ianungstad on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

#138 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:40 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:I can do without pretty much that whole list (though the unreleased Kiarostami and Princess Mononoke would be neat). What we really need is a release of Sonatine with well timed subtitles and special features where Tarantino isn't going on about his minimal knowledge of yakuza cinema.
Amen, brother. Sonatine on Blu would be very nice. Another Miramax title that ought to have been on the list is Farewell My Concubine.

oldsheperd

#139 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:03 pm

Someone suggested Flirting With Disaster. I could go with that. "You're not a cracker!"

No love for Detroit 9000?

MoonlitKnight

#140 Post by MoonlitKnight » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:17 pm

No love for "Kafka," either (still not released on DVD in any form). [-X

ianungstad

#141 Post by ianungstad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:49 pm

If you were going to speculate on any Tarantino, you think it would be the forever gestating special edition of Kill Bill. (It's been what, 5 or 6 years?)

dwk

#142 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Except Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is with the Weinstein Company.

While it was up for sale, I remember reading that Miramax had lost the rights to a number of films. So, other than the films they produced, I wonder what they still own.

ianungstad

#143 Post by ianungstad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't just recut a film and sell or release it via another distributor. It would at the very least be quite bizarre and I can't think of any examples where this has happened. The Weinstein brothers probably retain some rights as producers (royalties at very least) and splitting hairs over profits is probably what has kept this from seeing a release.

AlexHansen

#144 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:45 pm

I think it was included as part of the Weinstein's exit, along with the Dimension Films moniker and a few other films.

Derek Estes

#145 Post by Derek Estes » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:20 am

My Miramax list would need to include:
Belle De Jour
Purple Noon
Les Demoiselles de Rochefort
A Hard Days Night*
The Grifters
The Crying Game
Jackie Brown
Murial's Wedding
The Scorcese Docs

*It would be great if Criterion could put together a Richard Lester's 60's box set with A Hard Day's Night, The Knack, Petulia, and How I won the War.

Murdoch

#146 Post by Murdoch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm surprised Through the Olive Trees even made that list, it's the only film worthwhile in a short list of whatever.

Professor Wagstaff

#147 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:52 pm

I can't give any attention to Criterion Cast's list if they ignore Belle de Jour. The Miramax DVD is all that's been released in the US and it looks terrible.

Minkin

#149 Post by Minkin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:52 pm

"New Miramax will look to acquire completed movies and other libraries"
LA Times wrote:Because Miramax's primary focus will be exploiting its library, Lang said Miramax won't get involved in film production for at least two years, though it could partner with other studios for movies based on an existing pool of projects in development that were acquired from Disney.
Towards the end, added in as an afterthought wrote:In more traditional media, Lang said Miramax is in discussions with other studios about handling DVD distribution
It looks like Google/Youtube or Netflix will get digital rights. The "s" on distributors for DVDs (in flyonthewall2983's and my article) sounds like there are a few companies vying for rights. The Startribune article also made it sound like some of the highest profile titles will be focused on first... I guess I'm just driving at the possibility that they aren't going to lump everything at once and could possibly let Criterion cherry pick a few titles.

HistoryProf

#150 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Jackie Brown on blu should be a priority ahead of PF in my humble opinion. Not the biggest Tarantino fan...don't dislike him either...but Jackie Brown is his best film by a mile. It would look glorious in a Criterion blu release.