Studio Canal titles newly out of print

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
tryavna

#76 Post by tryavna » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:32 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:There actually isn't consistency - the Optimum JEAN RENOIR boxset has 2 films with fixed subs, 5 with optional subs...
This has been my experience. I believe all eight of the titles in Optimum's Bunuel boxset make the subs optional.

Cronenfly

#77 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:31 pm

Kinsayder wrote: Cropping aside, the Criterion Corbeau has room for improvement. In particular, the audio track sounds horribly tinny and over-processed (as it does on the Studio Canal). Since Criterion have stated their intention to re-acquire these titles, I think it's reasonable to hope for an improved re-edition à la Wages of Fear at some point.
Do you really think Le Corbeau sold well enough/has Wages' clout to justify a re-issue? I can't see any of the four OOP titles getting spruced up CC editions- Lionsgate releasing them in boxsets seems much more likely, as the only way most of the titles (Le Corbeau and Variety Lights in particular) could really be improved, it would seem, is A/V-wise (unless there are significant potential supplements I'm unaware of). I would think that Criterion re-acquiring these titles would just be to put the old editions back in print, nothing more.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#78 Post by Shrew » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:39 pm

Has there ever been a Criterion title that went out of print and didn't get a new improved release when it came back?

Steven H

#79 Post by Steven H » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Shrew wrote:Has there ever been a Criterion title that went out of print and didn't get a new improved release when it came back?
M Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle.

Jeff

#80 Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:55 pm

Steven H wrote:
Shrew wrote:Has there ever been a Criterion title that went out of print and didn't get a new improved release when it came back?
And there have been plenty that went out of print and never came back at all, which is apparently the case here.

LightBulbFilm

#81 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:01 pm

Traffic as well....

Cronenfly

#82 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:02 pm

Jeff wrote:
Steven H wrote:
And there have been plenty that went out of print and never came back at all, which is apparently the case here.
Indeed: as well, the sudden nature, unlikelihood of CC reissues, and lack of backtsock on sale from Criterion of the 4 titles that went OOP makes me think that LG might be in the mix...or that the licensing renewals were too expensive and the titles are OOP for good in R1.

EDIT- I guess we'll just have to wait and see, given that Criterion titles seem to go OOP for many different reasons, and come back into print for just as many more (though I guess $/licenses are the biggest factor on releases like the 4 SC titles).

otis

#83 Post by otis » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:39 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:There actually isn't consistency - the Optimum JEAN RENOIR boxset has 2 films with fixed subs, 5 with optional subs...
Which ones have fixed subs? I rented the wonderful Marseillaise recently, and the subs were certainly optional. Can you give details of the others?

Matt

#84 Post by Matt » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:44 pm

otis wrote:
Which ones have fixed subs? I rented the wonderful Marseillaise recently, and the subs were certainly optional. Can you give details of the others?
Perhaps you might find the answer in a more appropriate thread?

otis

#85 Post by otis » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Thanks, Matt.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#86 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:48 pm

Just got my Quai des Orfevres from my eBay seller and while I can't speak to the film yet, it's a shame we have to say au revoir to the sexiest disc art of all time.

HerrSchreck

#87 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:51 pm

That girl is HOT furchrissakes... I love that little peekaboo scene backstage. Tralala is nothing compared to her.

SPill the wine.

thethirdman

#88 Post by thethirdman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:41 pm

domino harvey wrote: it's a shame we have to say au revoir to the sexiest disc art of all time.
We also lose the only centerfold pin-up in the collection.

bunuelian

#89 Post by bunuelian » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 pm

For those interested in the legal side, having read a lot of DVD license agreements for a job I had last year, I suspect CC couldn't give warning about this because their contract with Studio Canal includes a strict confidentiality clause that prevents them from announcing terms of the deal. Even if that didn't apply here, it could also be that they were trying to negotiate an extension, and didn't want to announce that these might go OOP and spark a rush on the titles, only to announce weeks later that they'd stay in production.

Ultimately, I would think that if they could have, CC would have announced that these were going OOP well ahead of time to clean out their (now apparently unsellable) backlogs.

Cinephrenic

#90 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:35 pm

time to clean out their (now apparently unsellable) backlogs.
Isn't losing rights meaning they cannot produce the item any longer, which would mean they could sell the remaining stock on hand?

neal

#91 Post by neal » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:
time to clean out their (now apparently unsellable) backlogs.
Isn't losing rights meaning they cannot produce the item any longer, which would mean they could sell the remaining stock on hand?
Well, they're losing distribution rights, so I imagine not. Though I'm no expert on the matter...

HerrSchreck

#92 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:57 am

I seriously doubt they'd be forced to eat the discs. This has to have come up a bazillion times when rights transit from one party to another, or expire, and language must exist in contracts to correspond to it. There's usually enough of a lag time between a new licensee in the region to get their product out onto the street whereby thru sales and other promotional incentives inventory can be liquidated fast enough without anyone acting like a paperwaving dick.

And anyhow, they can always just wholesale them to online & bm shops, and let them deal with it... I'm sure they'd be delighted to jack up the prices and make a killing.

HistoryProf

#93 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:31 am

wow...I can't really believe this! I have Le Corbeau, but Quai des Orfevres has been on my wishlist since it was announced and i've just never gotten around to it. I also don't care about Variety Lights...but went ahead and ordered Port of Shadows too from Amazon. Both are still available there for the very reasonable $22 - and free shipping of course.

But damn, now I have to put off the Malle Documentaries Eclipse box i had in my cart in the DD 20% off sale :(

ETA: Well maybe they aren't available at Amazon anymore after all...they just updated the shipping time to the dreaded 1-3 weeks. Crap!

ByMarkClark.com

#94 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:46 am

VARIETY LIGHTS is one of my favorite Fellini pictures. Luckily, I already had all these titles.

Aren't there a few more Studio Canal titles in the CC?

Tommaso

#95 Post by Tommaso » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:22 am

"Tales of Hoffmann" if I remember correctly, and "Ran". It would be a crime if any of these disappeared from the catalogue.

rwaits

#96 Post by rwaits » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:29 am

Yeah, I just got the email from Amazon about Quai des Orfevres as well. Like you, I'd been meaning to pick this one up forever but never got around to it. Now I'm kicking myself. Any ideas where I might find a copy before its too late (besides ebay)?

Chull

#97 Post by Chull » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:22 am

rwaits wrote:I just got the email from Amazon about Quai des Orfevres as well. Like you, I'd been meaning to pick this one up forever but never got around to it. Now I'm kicking myself. Any ideas where I might find a copy before its too late (besides ebay)?
Amazon.ca has them, but at $39.99 CAN, it's probably less attractive than Ebay.

dadaistnun

#98 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:26 am

rwaits wrote:I just got the email from Amazon about Quai des Orfevres as well. Like you, I'd been meaning to pick this one up forever but never got around to it. Now I'm kicking myself. Any ideas where I might find a copy before its too late (besides ebay)?
A few Amazon Marketplace sellers have copies in the $22-$25 range at the moment. They might be worth a shot.

colinr0380

#99 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:10 pm

Tommaso wrote:"Tales of Hoffmann" if I remember correctly, and "Ran". It would be a crime if any of these disappeared from the catalogue.
A.K. on the Ran set definitely has the Studio Canal logo before it.

Contempt also is, and a few of the Bunuels - or at least Diary Of A Chambermaid.

arsonfilms

#100 Post by arsonfilms » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Licenses usually have timeframes written into the contracts. First party licenses seem to be around seven years, but I wouldn't know much about third party contracts. This could either effect individual titles or batches, but it would never effect a licensee accross the board unless the licensee's rights are being questioned. I'm sure that Variety Lights wasn't part of the same deal that the more recent releases were on, but rather someone noticed the rights happened to be up at or around the same time.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about other Studio Canal titles, at least not until we have reason. Its pretty unlikely that titles as big as Ran or Contempt would have been included under the same deal(s) as the newly out of print titles here. Pure speculation of course, but thats what my intermediate experience with film licenses would indicate to me.