Studio Canal titles newly out of print

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Chull

#126 Post by Chull » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:12 am

domino harvey wrote:You'll be able to make a profit on these down the road (if you can wait at least a year), I'd stock up if you can manage.
Considering what I've been spending on all of the sales lately, that ain't gonna happen.

Rupert Pupkin

#127 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:56 am

while we are talking about H-G Clouzot, I just would like to tell that next week in Paris, Le Louvre will open to public the very first projection/theatre of the rushes (only 15 minutes for the moment) of the elusive and unfinished Clouzot's last project movie with Romy Schneider L'enfer/Inferno (Chabrol released a movie later reworking the script with Marin Karmitz).

too bad that the gallery photo which were available here is not available anymore...

in some French newspaper there are some stunning color photo from these rushes, showing the fantasma scenes with Romy Schneider which are amazing... It looks like if Clouzot was going beyond Hitchcock's experimentation to create visual fantasmagora scenes... Sometimes, the use of color and special effects seems precursor to a lot of genre, such as Suspiria's Argento...

I really hope that this will be released one day as bonus on DVD. Could Criterion put his hands on this ???? :shock: :shock:

Kinsayder

#128 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:56 pm

I was reading an article in Le Monde about this. By all accounts, Clouzot's L'enfer sounds like one of the great unfinished masterpieces of the cinema.

There's a video interview with a very brief clip of one of the hallucination scenes here.

HerrSchreck

#129 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:17 am

Shit, it looks like they disabled it before I could get to watch that clip.

blindside8zao

#130 Post by blindside8zao » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:18 pm

If Amazon (sorry) is saying for Quai des orfevres that it will take 1-2 weeks to ship, do you all think that actually means they don't have it? Le Corbeau is in stock there. I swiped up the other two titles at DVDPlanet. Quai seems to be the one title that's being a real pain to find on etailers.

ellipsis7

#131 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:51 pm

I wonder if this (story from Variety) has anything to do with current happenings...
Wed., Dec. 5, 2007, 8:03am PT

Sichler to leave StudioCanal Exec helped turn company around

Frederic Sichler, managing director for international production, acquisitions and development at StudioCanal, will ankle Dec. 31 for an unspecified international position.

StudioCanal prexy-director general Bertrand Meheut has urged him to retain close ties with the Canal Plus Group in future.

Sichler is credited with being integral to a turnaround in StudioCanal's fortunes since arriving in February 2003. He arranged an international library distribution partnership with Universal; the distribution of StudioCanal's library in the U.S. by Lionsgate; and the 2006 acquisition of British distrib Optimum, which accounts for more than 10% of the company's revenues.

JabbaTheSlut

#132 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:21 pm

blindside8zao wrote:If Amazon (sorry) is saying for Quai des orfevres that it will take 1-2 weeks to ship, do you all think that actually means they don't have it? Le Corbeau is in stock there. I swiped up the other two titles at DVDPlanet. Quai seems to be the one title that's being a real pain to find on etailers.
DVD Pacific has it in stock

Narshty

#133 Post by Narshty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Presumably they're currently trying to renegotiate the rights to these titles from Lionsgate?

blindside8zao

#134 Post by blindside8zao » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:06 pm

I managed to get port of shadows and variety lights from dvdplanet last week (at least it says they've shipped). Supposedly the other two will ship from amazon in a week or two.

geoffcowgill

#135 Post by geoffcowgill » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:21 pm

I just ordered Quai des Orfevres from Best Buy online. It was $21.99. Using some Reward Zone points, it only cost me $4.22. Port of Shadows also seems to be available for $25. We'll have to wait and see if I get it, but I would assume by this time if it were out of stock, their system would know. Anyway, if you're still trying to get ahold of these titles, you might want to look here.

Tootletron

#136 Post by Tootletron » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:30 am

Kinsayder wrote:
davidhare wrote:These absolutely terrific Clouzots simply can't (or wont) go out of print, Criterion or no Criterion.
Quite. And it's not even as if the current Criterion editions are significantly better than the alternatives. In fact, the Criterion Corbeau is arguably worse than the Optimum edition.
I kind of dig the green tint Criterion's Corbeau had going for it. The picture itself has a bit to be desired.

The audio in certain spots, however, is downright awful. Certain scenes sound like they suddenly encoded everything to 128kbps or something - absolutely horrible. Those scenes didn't last too long, though.

Corbeau really could've used more music, in my opinion. I wasn't quite in the mood to watch it, but the opening theme got me into it. Never got a reprise. :( Got a little dry and boring at times.

How good are Port of Shadows and Quai des orfevre, considering my opinion of Le Corbeau?