Criterion Random Speculation Vol.4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
El Manchego

#1026 Post by El Manchego » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:
psufootball07 wrote:Didn't 2 or 3 I know about Her make its way around the country with a Janus logo a while back?
About a year and a half ago I think. We've been expecting that one forever! But now that Criterion likely has rights to Made in USA, they'll probably hold off on releasing it until they can do both back to back, as they're sister films.
As much as that makes sense, reportedly the Made in USA print won't tour until the middle of next year, which means if they're paired we probably won't see them until next Fall or Winter. Certainly not the end of the world, but I'd prefer Criterion not sit on Two or Three for that long.

psufootball07

#1027 Post by psufootball07 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:46 pm

They would pair those, would they not put them in the same case like La Jetee / Sans Soleil or just release them together with similar covers like The Lovers and The Fire Within? I was hoping they would release 2 or 3 things when/if they put out Vivre sa vie.

kaujot

#1028 Post by kaujot » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:57 pm

The reason for pairing "Sans Soleil" and "La Jetée" is that the latter is quite short and, in Criterion's eyes, didn't necessitate its own spine. Neither was it short enough to be considers a supplement of "Sans Soleil."

justeleblanc

#1029 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:02 pm

2 or 3 Things was Rialto, not Janus.

Made in USA is also Rialto, but Studio Canal as well making for a double packaging unlikely, but a timed release pretty likely. I think Domino is right.

Cinephrenic

#1030 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:23 pm

With an exception of Vivre sa vie, I wouldn't be surprised if they released the remaining on Eclipse.

Le Petit Soldat
Les Carabiniers
2 or 3 Things I know About Her
Made in U.S.A.

justeleblanc

#1031 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:37 pm

2 or 3 Things and Made in USA are both coming from Rialto, so they will not be Eclipse.

Le Petit Soldat and Carabiniers are Weinstein properties I believe.

2 or 3 Things is not Studio Canal, so they wouldn't mix different rights holders in one box.

zedz

#1032 Post by zedz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:39 pm

kaujot wrote:The reason for pairing "Sans Soleil" and "La Jetée" is that the latter is quite short and, in Criterion's eyes, didn't necessitate its own spine. Neither was it short enough to be considers a supplement of "Sans Soleil."
I think more to the point is that La Jetee is Marker's best known film by a margin of probably 10 to 1 (still waiting for the Hollywood remake of Sans soleil!), and it was the 'short' that would be the selling point for the majority of buyers. This is probably a unique situation: in every other bundling of features on a single spine number that I can think of (e.g. Thief & Lion, Late Spring & Tokyo-Ga - obviously doesn't apply to the remakes / adaptations sets) the 'bonus feature' is clearly way secondary in terms of importance / saleability.

colinr0380

#1033 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:04 pm

zedz wrote:This is probably a unique situation: in every other bundling of features on a single spine number that I can think of (e.g. Thief & Lion, Late Spring & Tokyo-Ga - obviously doesn't apply to the remakes / adaptations sets) the 'bonus feature' is clearly way secondary in terms of importance / saleability.
I've not got to the disc yet but would this also apply to Trouble In Paradise and The Merry Jail?

zedz

#1034 Post by zedz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:09 pm

colinr0380 wrote:I've not got to the disc yet but would this also apply to Trouble In Paradise and The Merry Jail?
That one too, and whichever Clair had Paris qui dort (you know how Criterion loves to market silents!)

HerrSchreck

#1035 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:48 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
zedz wrote:This is probably a unique situation: in every other bundling of features on a single spine number that I can think of (e.g. Thief & Lion, Late Spring & Tokyo-Ga - obviously doesn't apply to the remakes / adaptations sets) the 'bonus feature' is clearly way secondary in terms of importance / saleability.
I've not got to the disc yet but would this also apply to Trouble In Paradise and The Merry Jail?
That would be a resounding YES that echoes down the hallway for a full five minute decay!

Nooooooooooo way would CC ever put out that rather obscure Lube silent all on its own. It's for this very reason that Das fidele Gefängnis is a great and totally unexpected extra.

You must not blink or you might miss a significant chunk of CC's silent catalog!

Trouble In Paradise is truly the king of all Lubitsch DVDs, and one of CC's best ever to be sure. A film that bears endless rewatching with an equally compelling presentation.

colinr0380

#1036 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:18 am

Love Paris qui dort (and Entr'acte) a bit more than the features that they were paired with! Just remembered Tout Va Bien/Letter To Jane and Slacker/It's Impossible To Learn To Plow Without Reading Books - supporting features that would be impossible to market or see without being paired up with a more marketable asset (as much as the headline films are marketable in themselves) and which in a way I love more! Not to mention the Tarkovsky version of The Killers!

That is what I love about Criterion - come for the film, stay for the extras!

Matt

#1037 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:36 pm

Discussion from this thread continues in the 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation thread.