On Five: Criterion Collection Blog

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#426 Post by Tribe » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:32 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:The only positive thing I can say is that I like the photo on top of the post. (I know I'd like a WR poster for Christmas.) Otherwise, why is she posting there? Criterion is hip enough without those useless posts. It's not like revealing Madonna on the Varda DVDs will boost sales.
I don't necessarily disagree. But I, for one, really don't mind these "slice of life" posts, at least they're keeping the blog going. Better these bits of unimportant gab than the usual bullshit you find in most corporate blogs.

Tribe

HerrSchreck

#427 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Hey man, live and let live I say. If people enjoy it, awesome. But my attention to the blog is realy winding down.

I personally think stuff like this belongs in a personal, disassociated blog, than one dedicated to the company. "What I like to listen to", "the odd words on my whiteboard" "a funny vid I saw" -- of course they're entitled to make it be about Whatever.. but personally I think if they can't produce title/release/Criterion-related entries, then the thing should cease.

In a dedicated individual blog, that kind of content would get... not many hits.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#428 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:27 pm

It does make sense to hire someone who doesn't care about film to be the receptionist because then they'll never bother the people coming in for meetings and so on because they won't even recognize/be familiar with them. I'm not sure how much sense it makes to give her the password to the blog though.

Antoine Doinel

#429 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:35 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:but personally I think if they can't produce title/release/Criterion-related entries, then the thing should cease.
That's what the newsletter is for.

I personally like the slice of life posts. It kinda lets some air into the stuffy atmosphere.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#430 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Maybe it's some kind of Sammy Glick by stealth campaign. Fast forward 7 years and there you go..... young Tammy CEO

kinjitsu

#431 Post by kinjitsu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:45 pm

Kim Hendrickson on The Last Emperor: Final Cut

Antoine Doinel

#432 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:27 am

Eric Skillman on designing Berlin Alexanderplatz.

I have to say I really like some of the early versions a lot better than what was approved for the finished product.

Jeff

#433 Post by Jeff » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:37 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:Eric Skillman on designing Berlin Alexanderplatz.

I have to say I really like some of the early versions a lot better than what was approved for the finished product.
They should have called that blog entry "I should have listened to Peter."

Part II of the entry is up at Cozy Lummox.

godardslave

#434 Post by godardslave » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:46 am

Is preferable to me than the one finally used.

It looks like too much over-thinking and design by committee went on for this artwork Criterion! :wink:

M

#435 Post by M » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:04 pm

Eh, that's why they're Criterion and you guys are you guys. I think the final cover for Berlin Alexanderplatz is stunning. There's nothing else like it in the collection. I don't think the point of the blog entry was them questioning their decision but to illustrate(!) for fans how thorough the process of cover selection is and how much care they put into their designs.

skuhn8

#436 Post by skuhn8 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:22 pm

M wrote:Eh, that's why they're Criterion and you guys are you guys. I think the final cover for Berlin Alexanderplatz is stunning. There's nothing else like it in the collection. I don't think the point of the blog entry was them questioning their decision but to illustrate(!) for fans how thorough the process of cover selection is and how much care they put into their designs.
Open discussion on a public forum stifled yet again! Turn out the lights; time to go home everyone.

Thomas J.

#437 Post by Thomas J. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:45 pm

M wrote:Eh, that's why they're Criterion and you guys are you guys. I think the final cover for Berlin Alexanderplatz is stunning. There's nothing else like it in the collection. I don't think the point of the blog entry was them questioning their decision but to illustrate(!) for fans how thorough the process of cover selection is and how much care they put into their designs.
Yes, I agree. Good post. With all due respect to those not liking it, I think the final drawn artwork is more expansive than the still photo treatment. And it needs to be expansive in order to encapsulate the scope of the work. The still photo would work I guess if the name of the work were the character depicted, but it's titled "Berlin Alexanderplatz" and you need something less direct while still to the point. The hand-drawn approach accomplishes that feat.

I am quite surprised at how many revisions and sweat and tears go into cover art development, which I think is kind of the point of the artist's blog. That, and to give us a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the goings-on with regard to a Criterion release.

M

#438 Post by M » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:51 pm

skuhn8 wrote:
Open discussion on a public forum stifled yet again! Turn out the lights; time to go home everyone.
Kind of an awkward non-sequitur. Disagreement is stifling open discussion? How's that so?

Kudzu

#439 Post by Kudzu » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:37 pm

M wrote:
skuhn8 wrote:
Kind of an awkward non-sequitur. Disagreement is stifling open discussion? How's that so?
Sarcasm regarding the first sentence, dogg.

I prefer the final cover myself. There's little innovation in a film still and text (although I do like the This Sporting Life cover).

Lemmy Caution

#440 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:21 am

I also liked the final artwork a lot. And not just the Franz, but also the Mieze, and the canary. I like the way they are presented as archetypes and not merely as the specific characters from the film.

But the Fassbinder done in the same style for the extra disc is amazing. They should sell that as a full-blown poster. I'd buy it.

M

#441 Post by M » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:18 pm

Kudzu wrote:Sarcasm regarding the first sentence, dogg.

I prefer the final cover myself. There's little innovation in a film still and text (although I do like the This Sporting Life cover).
Oh, oh yes...sarcasm. I, get it? Anyway, we're agreed. The final cover is tops. Seriously.

mogwai

#442 Post by mogwai » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:40 am

Lee Kline on The Thief of Bagdad.

kaujot

#443 Post by kaujot » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:14 am

Commentary with Scorsese and Coppola?

I'm there.

Antoine Doinel

#444 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:21 am

Ditto. That makes the title a must buy for me. I really had no interest in the film at all, but I'll buy any film if it has the opportunity to hear Scorsese talk about it. And with Coppola? Goddamn.

Thomas J.

#445 Post by Thomas J. » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:55 pm

Off topic:

Lol at the quotes around shrinkage expert.

Why am I not surprised this individual prefers to remain anonymous?

But seriously, this project sounds pretty nice. Thanks, Criterion.

fiddlesticks

#446 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:25 pm

Curtis Tsui on The Naked Prey

Luke M

#447 Post by Luke M » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:02 am

That cover reminds me a lot of There Will Be Blood.

Lemmy Caution

#448 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:45 pm

There Will Be Beer.

keeproductions

#449 Post by keeproductions » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:There Will Be Beer.
Well, you certainly got crickets for that, but I have to say...

that's pretty damn funny. =D>

fiddlesticks

#450 Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Peter Becker discusses the unusual treatment of The Red Balloon and White Mane, including the revelation that both will receive the full Criterion treatment in the near future (not Paddle to the Sea, however).