Eclipse Random Speculation

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

#801 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:48 pm

Throw in Yoshida's Eros plus massacre and the set is sold.

justeleblanc

#802 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:27 pm

The Imamura is coming, so maybe you're right.

criterionaficionado

#803 Post by criterionaficionado » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 pm

Vidas Secas is on DVD from new yorker but I wish CC had released (very good movie). I love both the cinema novo and japanese new wave eclipse sets. I wish both were a reality...
I would like to add that O pagador de promessas (anselmo duarte) would also make a great addition to the aforementioned eclipse boxset proposal.
First things first though, imamura/mizoguchi...which one of those will come first? Either one I am sold...

Darbicus

#804 Post by Darbicus » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I have the Riofilme version of "Black God, White Devil"...to see that on a Criterion transfer (since it is one of the senimal films of the Cinema Novo movement) would be divine.

backstreetsbackalright

#805 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:27 am

zedz wrote:I rewatched Story Written with Water last night and imagined a five-disc "Incest and the Japanese New Wave" Eclipse set:
A Story Written with Water (Yoshida)
The Profound Desire of the Gods (Imamura)
Inferno of First Love (Hani)
The Ceremony (Oshima)
Mujo (Jissoji)

Beat that!

It'll never happen, of course (imagine trying to market that particular concept), but all of those titles are theoretically available to Criterion in acceptable transfers.
Couldn't "Incest and the Japanese New Wave" be a title for an all-Imamura set though?

Awesome Welles

#806 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:41 am

Cinephrenic wrote:Cinema Nova
Antonio das Mortes (Rocha, 1969)
Anguished Land (Rocha, 1967)
Black God, White Devil (Rocha, 1964)
Vidas Secas (Nelson Pereira dos Santos, 1963)
Macunaíma (Joaquim Pedro de Andrade, 1969)
Even just a Rocha set would be great and they could continue with Cinema Novo further down the line and touching on Cuban cinema would be great. Though it would be a shame to lose the supplements on a lot of these films. Adding to Rocha I would love to see The Lion Has Seven Heads which is supposedly great.

justeleblanc

#807 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Kaurismaki's "Worker's Trilogy" on Eclipse.

I had mentioned that Criterion would release Kaurismaki in the future so this is just a follow up. If anyone knows of other 3 color films from Kaurismaki from the 80s that would likely be packaged together do let me know.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#808 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:23 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Kaurismaki's "Worker's Trilogy" on Eclipse.

I had mentioned that Criterion would release Kaurismaki in the future so this is just a follow up. If anyone knows of other 3 color films from Kaurismaki from the 80s that would likely be packaged together do let me know.
I'd guess Crime and Punishment instead of Match Factory Girl (which came out in 1990). This is a very fine (very free) adaptation of Dostoevsky's story.

justeleblanc

#809 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:42 pm

I too love Crime and Punishment.

I thought MFG was 89. Was there a delay in terms of when it was released in the states?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#810 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:49 pm

IMDB shows no release earlier than early 1990 -- first in Finland and then at the Berlin Film Festival

justeleblanc

#811 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Looks like you're right. Though maybe my source was also misinformed about the dates as well.

oldsheperd

Imamura

#812 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Any solid speculation on what will be in that Imamura set?

justeleblanc

Re: Imamura

#813 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:06 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Any solid speculation on what will be in that Imamura set?
The Profound Desire of the Gods is the only title I know of.

Cold Bishop

#814 Post by Cold Bishop » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Really?... I always imagined Profound Desire would be a shoo-in for a Criterion Release.

pauling

#815 Post by pauling » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:52 pm

That's great about the Kaurismaki box since I've been bugging them to release his stuff for years. But I was hoping to see 'Rocky VI' and maybe an interview or two so hopefully we'll see something from the Criterion label in the future. I Hired a Contract Killer perhaps?

Cinephrenic

#816 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:54 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Any solid speculation on what will be in that Imamura set?
What we know so far:

Future Criterion
Intentions of Murder
Pigs and Battleships

Janus titles
Eijanaika
Profound Desire of the Gods
The Insect Woman

Possible Eclipses
Endless Desire
My Second Brother
Stolen Desire
A Man Vanishes
History of Postwar Japan as Told by a Bar Hostess
Zegen

I want Black Rain in a special edition Criterion.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#817 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:59 pm

There's also Imamura's "Karayuki-san" (which I would expect to be matched with "Bar Hostess").

Doctor Sunshine

#818 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: Kaurismaki, they tend to start with a director's biggest stuff so Leningrad Cowboys Go America is a possibility.

While we're on Japanese film speculation, I've been reading Mark Schilling's No Borders, No Limits--for which the accompanying retrospective is still making the rounds--and I could really go for a Nikkatsu Action Cinema set. The retro hasn't made it up my way but the films listed in the book are:

Black Tight Killers (Yasuharu Hasebe, 1966)
A Colt Is My Passport (Takashi Nomura, 1967)
Crimson Pistol (Yoichi Ushihara, 1961)
Dirty Work (Buichi Saito, 1961)
Fast-Draw Guy (Takashi Nomura, 1961)
Gangster VIP (Toshio Masuda, 1968)
Glass Johnny: Look Like a Beast (Koreyoshi Kurahara, 1962)
Plains Wanderer (Buichi Saito, 1962)
Red Handkerchief (Toshio Masuda, 1964)
Red Quay (Toshio Masuda, 1958)
Roughneck (Yasuharu Hasebe, 1969)
Rusty Knife (Toshio Masuda, 1958)
Seasons of Heat (aka Warped Ones) (Koreyoshi Kurahara, 1960)
Stray Cat Rock: Sex Hunter (Yasuharu Hasebe, 1970)
Tales of a Gunman: Quick-Draw Ryu (Hiroshi Noguchi, 1960)
Velvet Hustler (Toshio Masuda, 1967)

Image released Black Tight Killers and HVe released Sex Hunter on DVD and Velvet Hustler on VHS--Criterion shouldn't have any trouble getting a hold of any of the above. They're definitely overshadowed and forgotten but with the convenient retro tie-in. Sounds like the strongest set would be A Colt Is My Passport, Gangster VIP, Red Handkerchief, Velvet Hustler and maybe Glass Johnny which is apparently a La Strada rip-off. Though I'd substitute Slaughter Gun for Gangster VIP to make it less Masuda heavy. Here's a link to some posters, articles and a Red Handkerchief trailer.

portnoy

#819 Post by portnoy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:53 pm

I saw nearly all the films in the series when it played at Japan Society. I recognized a lot of Criterion employees there - indeed, some of the prints are Janus-owned. The best films in the series were the Toshio Masuda films and the stunning masterpiece THE WARPED ONES by Koreyoshi Kurahara. The three Masuda films that played in the series would make for a great Eclipse set, and The Warped Ones is dying to be rediscovered as a major film, a Japanese Breathless, almost, and belongs in the Criterion Collection.

Plains Wanderer is a diverting novelty; Glass Johnny Looks Like a Beast does not live up to the awesomeness of its title.

mteller

#820 Post by mteller » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:31 am

I was hoping Kaurismaki would get the full "Criterion treatment", but an Eclipse release will do. If it's really three color films from the 80's, though, that kinda sucks. It rules out some of my favorites like Match Factory Girl, Hamlet Goes Business, Calamari Union and La Vie de Boheme. It also indicates that Crime & Punishment is likely to be one of the titles, and that's probably my least favorite Kaurismaki.

Oh well, I'll take whatever I can get.

mteller

#821 Post by mteller » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 am

pauling wrote:That's great about the Kaurismaki box since I've been bugging them to release his stuff for years. But I was hoping to see 'Rocky VI' and maybe an interview or two so hopefully we'll see something from the Criterion label in the future. I Hired a Contract Killer perhaps?
Just FYI, "Rocky VI" is a bonus feature on the Leningrad Cowboys "Total Balalaika Show" DVD (great show, dreadful image quality).

justeleblanc

#822 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:53 pm

mteller wrote:I was hoping Kaurismaki would get the full "Criterion treatment", but an Eclipse release will do. If it's really three color films from the 80's, though, that kinda sucks. It rules out some of my favorites like Match Factory Girl, Hamlet Goes Business, Calamari Union and La Vie de Boheme. It also indicates that Crime & Punishment is likely to be one of the titles, and that's probably my least favorite Kaurismaki.

Oh well, I'll take whatever I can get.
I still haven't heard back from my source, but my feeling is that he was mistaken about Match Factory Girl. I really think that is one of the included titles. The quote came about by my asking if Contract Killer was one on their slate, and he/she said something like "No, these are earlier. From the 80s."

I could also see C & P, Hamlet and Boheme getting packaged together at some point as three modern adaptations.

You may have to explain what it is that I missed about Calamari. I saw it once and it didn't do much, so I watched it while drunk and it still didn't do much.

Doctor Sunshine

#823 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 pm

portnoy wrote:I saw nearly all the films in the series when it played at Japan Society. I recognized a lot of Criterion employees there - indeed, some of the prints are Janus-owned. The best films in the series were the Toshio Masuda films and the stunning masterpiece THE WARPED ONES by Koreyoshi Kurahara. The three Masuda films that played in the series would make for a great Eclipse set, and The Warped Ones is dying to be rediscovered as a major film, a Japanese Breathless, almost, and belongs in the Criterion Collection.

Plains Wanderer is a diverting novelty; Glass Johnny Looks Like a Beast does not live up to the awesomeness of its title.
That sounds promising. A Masuda set does seem more likely than a studio-themed set and he gets nothing but praise for him from non-cannon fans like Schilling, Midnight Eye, et al. Criterion have a lot of Japanese sets already on the horizon but they do like to mix it up with the hidden gems.

I was also thinking of a Joe Shishido set. His career high points seem to be Branded to Kill, A Colt Is My Passport and Slaughter Gun--all from 1967--so, the latter two would be naturals. Maybe throw in an early Suzuki collaboration like Voice Without a Shadow. I'd kill to see Colt with all the comparisons made to Branded. In terms of actor themed sets, it's a large leap from Robeson and Martha Graham to Shishido but no more so than Bergman to the Beastie Boys.

mteller

#824 Post by mteller » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:05 pm

justeleblanc wrote:You may have to explain what it is that I missed about Calamari. I saw it once and it didn't do much, so I watched it while drunk and it still didn't do much.
I think it's really funny. Some of the monologues are a drag, and having 14 guys named Frank is kinda gimmicky, but I love the absurdism of it. It reminds me of Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, an epic struggle to complete a simple task.

justeleblanc

#825 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:41 pm

All right. With Bunuel in mind I'll give it another shot.