Eclipse Random Speculation

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#826 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Calamari Union is "goofier" than Bunuel -- sort of a cross between Bunuel and a very extended Monty Python skit. Silly or not, it is a visually gorgeous film, worth watching just for this.

backstreetsbackalright

#827 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:06 pm

My order for the first Artificial Eye Kaurismaki set was inexplicably cancelled last week. Perhaps fate stepped in...

pauling

#828 Post by pauling » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Calamari Union is like Discreet Charm? That's fantastic since it's my favorite Bunuel and I love pretty much all of his films. I'm now hoping that this set isn't limited to three films because my appetite has been whet. Thanks for the heads up, mteller. I've just been looking for a version that wasn't youtube quality.

MuzikJunky

Scope-ratio Eclipse films?

#829 Post by MuzikJunky » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:22 am

Is Criterion purposely avoiding the inclusion of scope-ratio films in its Eclipse boxes? Peace.

Magic Hate Ball

#830 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 am

Yo,

Why would they do that?

All yours,

-Magic Hate Ball

MuzikJunky

#831 Post by MuzikJunky » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 pm

Magic Hate Ball wrote:Why would they do that?
Well, 12 sets down the line, and the widest they've ever gone so far is 1.66:1. It just seems weird. Peace.

jojo

#832 Post by jojo » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:40 pm

That's actually a very good point, and I could speculate a number of reasons, perhaps even as simple as a "Scope widescreen deserves singles rather than bundled up in cheap set!" attitude at Criterion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#833 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:13 pm

It's not even remotely a good point. "There's no German films in the Eclipse line yet, this must mean all German-language films are going to be Criterions." It's just a coincidence that no Eclipse title has been in 'Scope yet, period.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#834 Post by Tribe » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:It's not even remotely a good point. "There's no German films in the Eclipse line yet, this must mean all German-language films are going to be Criterions." It's just a coincidence that no Eclipse title has been in 'Scope yet, period.
You're the one who's wrong. :D The "a "Scope widescreen deserves singles rather than bundled up in cheap set! attitude at Criterion" totally sold me. Now, in addition to the western cinema-talkie-auterist bias there's an aspect ratio bias too! :shock:

Thomas J.

#835 Post by Thomas J. » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:34 pm

Tribe wrote: Now, in addition to the western cinema-talkie-auterist bias
To deny this so flippantly is to prove the tangentially related point about Criterion's fan base and the attendant mass media attention with regard to both group's reception of Criterion's product.

In other words, thank you kind sir. =D>

justeleblanc

#836 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:27 pm

Has anyone asked Criterion about Alain Robbe-Grillet? I believe his first four films are all owned by Como Films (if they have not all reverted back to his estate).

I also have some pretty horrendous bootlegs of all four and wouldn't mind the upgrade.

tavernier

#837 Post by tavernier » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:31 pm

I just saw those 4 R-G films at BAM and the prints were in decent shape, with OK subtitles (although the ones on The Man Who Lies often were unreadable against a white background).

dadaistnun

#838 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:44 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Has anyone asked Criterion about Alain Robbe-Grillet? I believe his first four films are all owned by Como Films (if they have not all reverted back to his estate).

I also have some pretty horrendous bootlegs of all four and wouldn't mind the upgrade.
I did and never received a reply, but I seldom do. I don't email them often, but the last time I heard back regarding a title inquiry was a year ago (I asked about Poison), although Tamara came though for me last fall when my copy of Juliet of the Spirits was missing its booklet.

Matt

#839 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:36 pm

Discussion from this thread continues in the 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation thread.