Criterion & Lionsgate

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

Criterion & Lionsgate

#1 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:06 am

So, I found copies of "Kicking and Screaming" on store shelves over the weekend, alongside the "Six Moral Tales" set. I was kind of shocked to discover that Criterion licensed the film directly from Lionsgate (I assumed that the rights had reverted back to Baumbach, as they had to Linklater and Stillman with "Slacker" and "Metropolitan"). Other than the constant talk of Lionsgate buying Image, this is the first inkling of any successful collaboration between the companies.

On the possibility that this isn't some one-off deal, this would make for an interesting development, as Lionsgate has a substantial film library coming from their acquisitions of Artisan and Trimark. That said, most of the films are standard "B"-grade fare or straight-to-video crap; and most of the major titles have already been done well (or to death) by now. "Reservoir Dogs," "Glengarry Glen Ross," "Total Recall" and "Basic Instinct," and "The Doors" and "Natural Born Killers: Director's Cut" are among the most visible titles, and substantial SEs exist for all of those titles. Plus, with them losing the Republic Library back to Paramount, the best classic titles they had to offer are no longer theirs.

That said, there's a couple of obvious picks still left. "The Piano" is still available, via the Live/Miramax video release, to complete the Criterion Campion trifecta. After that, my next choice would be Peter Jackson's "Braindead"/"Dead Alive," which they may still control from the Trimark days. Then there's "Happiness," "Kids" and "Buffalo '66" for revisiting (although I feel Solondz goes the Woody Allen route when it comes to DVD supplements). I'd like to request a Gordon-style list of underavailable titles under the Lionsgate banner to really see what potential there is.

Or, this could be a colossal waste of time. Any comments?

-BJ

justeleblanc

#2 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:10 am

I'm more interested in your findings of Kicking and Screaming on store shelves.

One title that immediately comes to mind is Breaking the Waves.

portnoy

#3 Post by portnoy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:13 am

Great! Looks like we might finally get a Criterion edition of Crash!

Dr. Mabuse

#4 Post by Dr. Mabuse » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:20 pm

I believe the rights to "The Last Emperor" is held by Lionsgate. It's screaming for a decent R1 release.

Jeff

#5 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:33 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:Plus, with them losing the Republic Library back to Paramount, the best classic titles they had to offer are no longer theirs.
According to Roger Rollins' post in this thread at HTF, Paramount has decided to license the Republic titles back to Lions Gate. If LG has indeed struck a multi-title deal with Criterion, these titles would be where the action is. Before we get too excited, remember that it's entirely possible that Baumbach just really liked working with Criterion on A Life Aquatic, saw that Lions Gate was sitting on Kicking and Screaming, and the two companies worked out a deal for this title only.

I would agree that, right now, The Last Emperor looks like the most likely candidate in Lions Gate's own catalog.
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narshty

#6 Post by Narshty » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:34 pm

I suspected this might happen - Lionsgate are pretty determined to buy out Image Entertainment, which would possibly mean a great many more collaborations. Plus there's the controversy over the Republic feature library, which it has been reported (EDIT: by Jeff above), is still with Lionsgate. If this is true, we could be seeing the likes of Johnny Guitar, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Rio Grande and Letter from an Unknown Woman.

Antoine Doinel

#7 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:52 pm

Matewan desperately needs a decent release. I would love to see Criterion do justice to it.

flyonthewall2983

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:44 pm

portnoy wrote:Great! Looks like we might finally get a Criterion edition of Crash!
You, my friend, suck :P

blindside8zao

#9 Post by blindside8zao » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:19 pm

I have to admit that the image at the bottom made me giggle. I've never seen the movie but that still is very laughable.

ShishidoJo

#10 Post by ShishidoJo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:12 pm

blindside8zao wrote:I have to admit that the image at the bottom made me giggle. I've never seen the movie but that still is very laughable.
That's so juvenile. It's a powerful, touching image. You're supposed to cry, not laugh. Can't you feel the violins tugging at the heartstrings?

justeleblanc

#11 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:19 pm

ShishidoJo wrote:
blindside8zao wrote:I have to admit that the image at the bottom made me giggle. I've never seen the movie but that still is very laughable.
That's so juvenile. It's a powerful, touching image. You're supposed to cry, not laugh. Can't you feel the violins tugging at the heartstrings?
Unless the cop is penetrating her accident scar with his penis, I'm gonna have to say I don't hear the violins.

edit: i incorrectly spelled penis.
Last edited by justeleblanc on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinesimilitude

#12 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:47 pm

Bad Lieutenant on criterion please. they could also use reservoir dogs to be one of the kickstart titles to their HD line down the road. saw it on 35mm saturday night and it looked fucking fantastic.

thethirdman

#13 Post by thethirdman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:24 pm

Where did you find The Six Moral Tales and Kicking and Screaming?

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#14 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:42 am

thethirdman wrote:Where did you find The Six Moral Tales and Kicking and Screaming?
Kim's Video in New York.

Oedipax

#15 Post by Oedipax » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:55 am

SncDthMnky wrote:Bad Lieutenant on criterion please.
Any Ferrara in the collection would be amazing! And maybe Criterion could clear the Zeppelin sample for Schooly D's "Signifying Rapper".

Antoine Doinel

#16 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:45 pm

DavisDVD is confirming the Republic Library acquistion by Lionsgate from Paramount (though it seems that Paramount is hanging on to some titles? ie. It's A Wonderful Life and who knows what else):
Republic Library Back at Lionsgate

Lionsgate Home Entertainment has regained control of the Republic film library, the company revealed last week. Distribution rights to the Republic library - which includes films such as "High Noon," "Freeway" and "Bound" - had reverted to Paramount at the start of 2006 after being distributed by Lionsgate (and previously Artisan Entertainment). These latest events, however, do not seem to affect Republic's TV library - including "Twin Peaks" - which still reside at Paramount.

Bought by producer Aaron Spelling's Spelling Entertainment, Republic Pictures was merged with Spelling's WorldVision Enterprises (which distributed Twin Peaks, Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place, among other shows). Republic's video division was shut down in 1995 and the video rights to the library were leased to Artisan Entertainment. Media conglomerate Viacom bought out Spelling/Republic in 1999, and Republic became a wholly-owned division of Paramount. Artisan, later sold to Lions Gate Home Entertainment, continued to use the Republic name, logo, and library under license from Paramount.

This past Spring, Paramount announced a slate of Republic titles for re-release, but then pulled them without explanation. And yet despite this recent move back to Lionsgate, Frank Capra's 1946 classic It�s a Wonderful Life has been retained by Paramount and the studio plans a 60th Anniversary Edition for release on October 31st. (Thanks to Video Business)

mikeohhh

#17 Post by mikeohhh » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:59 pm

Narshty wrote:I suspected this might happen - Lionsgate are pretty determined to buy out Image Entertainment, which would possibly mean a great many more collaborations. Plus there's the controversy over the Republic feature library, which it has been reported (EDIT: by Jeff above), is still with Lionsgate. If this is true, we could be seeing the likes of Johnny Guitar, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Rio Grande and Letter from an Unknown Woman.
This was my first thought too, but I would say it's unlikely that titles like Johnny Guitar and Letter from an Unknown Woman would be licensed out since the DVDs of those that were announced (and pulled) for 2006 are basically ready to go. But who knows? I could see Criterion making a push for those and I could also see Lionsgate want to put those out under the Criterion banner as it's definitely something they're proud to have under their umbrella.

MoonlitKnight

Re:

#18 Post by MoonlitKnight » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:38 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:Matewan desperately needs a decent release. I would love to see Criterion do justice to it.
I wholeheartedly agree. Lionsgate can't be bothered to release a non-new release on DVD in its proper aspect ratio unless it's a special edition or something. I mean, they just released "Ironweed" in pan-n-scan, despite the fact that widescreen TVs are now pretty much the norm in American households. No excuse, Lionsgate. [-X

ianungstad

Re: Criterion & Lionsgate

#19 Post by ianungstad » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:33 am

All I really want is for whatever problem there was with the Canal library to be resolved. There are future Canal releases through Rialto like Brighton Rock, which I would love to see on Criterion. It would be too bad if it ended up a casualty like Diva.

ianungstad

#20 Post by ianungstad » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:37 pm

What is the reasoning behind a speculation thread for Lionsgate titles? Is it because the OOP Canal titles have come back into print? Do they now say licensed from Lionsgate on the back of the dvd? Besides kicking and screaming and the possibilty that Criterion might be able to license more Canal titles in the future...I don't see any relationship here.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#21 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:58 am

Take a closer look at the dates -- this thread was created in 2006, around the time Kicking and Screaming came out. At that point there was reason to hope that Criterion might release more Lionsgate titles. 2 1/2 years on that's obviously not the case, although the situation with the Canal titles seems kinda odd.

oldsheperd

#22 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:56 pm

Alhtough it already has a few extras on it's release I've always felt Bully needs more attention.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:32 pm

I'd rather see Big Bully make it into the collection

HistoryProf

Re:

#24 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:00 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Matewan desperately needs a decent release. I would love to see Criterion do justice to it.
Amen!! One of my favorite films...and imo Sayles' best work. The old artisan dvd was the most abysmal thing i've ever had the misfortune of seeing. a few degrees worse than a VHS copy.

What I never understood was that this was among the titles listed for release a couple of years ago when the rest of Sayles' older stuff came out - Lianna, Secaucus 7, Brother from Another Planet, etc...and I remember reading there was even a commentary recorded. But the rest all came out, and then...nothing. No mention of why, just nothing. And yes...i realize different studios are involved (w/ the above coming from MGM), I just don't understand why this was announced w/ a new commentary and then disappeared w/ zero explanation.

What A Disgrace

#25 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Doesn't Lionsgate also own Johnny Guitar?

:(