#1102 Post by primolandia » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:40 am

Jeff

Re: Fake Criterion Covers

#1103 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:11 am

^ Love the licensing arrangement.

Frances

#1104 Post by Frances » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:45 pm

alice_the_goon wrote:This is my first time making a fake cover, so I hope they aren't universally hated. On that note, here they are!

Love this! :)

Always wanted to try to create some covers and i have some ideas, but i'm really NOT a photoshop expert :(

Matt

#1105 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:27 am

No idea whose work this is, but it beats the official version, hands down:

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#1106 Post by Brian C » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 am

That's true, it does. Certainly it feels more like Kubrick than the actual cover.

zitherstrings

#1107 Post by zitherstrings » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:03 am

More effort. Good image. Bad font, totally wrong. Further from the film itself than Criterion's. Did they even see this movie? Maybe just an impossible film to capture?

Matt

#1108 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:27 am

If you take issue with this cover, you take issue with some of the original art.

Flike

#1109 Post by Flike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Napier just inadvertently trolled me on FB. Saw his post with the cover and ran off to Criterion.com then came here to see it's a fake. Grr.

Finch

#1110 Post by Finch » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:53 pm

That fake cover would actually be more in keeping with most of their cover choices of late in that it attempts to convey something about the film in an original/different (successfully or not) manner. The font is too cartoonish but the artwork itself is fab.

Murdoch

#1111 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Damn, for a second I thought I clicked on the real cover art thread.

zitherstrings

#1112 Post by zitherstrings » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Matt wrote:If you take issue with this cover, you take issue with some of the original art.
Yes. That would be correct. Sometimes people making posters 50 years ago were unsuccessful as well.

HistoryProf

#1113 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 pm

zitherstrings wrote:More effort. Good image. Bad font, totally wrong. Further from the film itself than Criterion's. Did they even see this movie? Maybe just an impossible film to capture?
haven't seen the original posters I take it?

That cover is MILES better than the boring photoshop by numbers job they chose. They should get in touch with the guy that posted it on FB and buy it from him today. It's PERFECT, while the real one is boring as shit.

Harmonov

#1114 Post by Harmonov » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:56 pm

HistoryProf wrote:
zitherstrings wrote:More effort. Good image. Bad font, totally wrong. Further from the film itself than Criterion's. Did they even see this movie? Maybe just an impossible film to capture?
haven't seen the original posters I take it?

That cover is MILES better than the boring photoshop by numbers job they chose. They should get in touch with the guy that posted it on FB and buy it from him today. It's PERFECT, while the real one is boring as shit.
I don't know, sometimes shit can be really exciting...

Alphonse Doinel

#1115 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:44 am

Wanted to show why they should have just used a still from the Kirk tracking shot in the trenches and somehow ended up with these. Sorry Kirk.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#1116 Post by Brian C » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:48 am

Those are not bad ... the first one, in fact, is pretty great.

I don't really mind the real cover but it's clear they could have done better.

godardslave

#1117 Post by godardslave » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:49 am

The Belle De Jour cover posted above by "primolandia" is excellent.

And yes that paths of glory cover, while not perfect, is still much better than the official one.

A philosophical thought to ponder is why is choosing the right font in aesthetic terms for paths of glory is proving to be so hard? My thoughts cant help but stray to to the idea that is somehow related to the perfectionism of Kubrick...

kaujot

#1118 Post by kaujot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 am

I think the still for the first PoG is absolutely brilliant. It's just the type that needs work.

poultryinmotion

#1119 Post by poultryinmotion » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:23 am

I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about the Paths of Glory cover. I think that that still more than adequately captures the anguish, filth, terror, exhaustion, and sheer futility of war. After all, isn't that what Kubrick was trying to communicate in the film?

The image Matt posted above looks like it's straight off the cover of some comic book extolling the glory and heroism of war.

godardslave

#1120 Post by godardslave » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:19 pm

poultryinmotion wrote:I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about the Paths of Glory cover. I think that that still more than adequately captures the anguish, filth, terror, exhaustion, and sheer futility of war. After all, isn't that what Kubrick was trying to communicate in the film?

The image Matt posted above looks like it's straight off the cover of some comic book extolling the glory and heroism of war.
I think your a secret spy planted by Criterion to say nice things about the cover. :shock:

HistoryProf

#1121 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Alphonse Doinel wrote:Wanted to show why they should have just used a still from the Kirk tracking shot in the trenches and somehow ended up with these. Sorry Kirk.

perfecto.

poultryinmotion

#1122 Post by poultryinmotion » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:27 am

godardslave wrote:
poultryinmotion wrote:I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about the Paths of Glory cover. I think that that still more than adequately captures the anguish, filth, terror, exhaustion, and sheer futility of war. After all, isn't that what Kubrick was trying to communicate in the film?

I think your a secret spy planted by Criterion to say nice things about the cover.
Ha, nah, just someone who's studied enough pictures from WWI to know that the cover image looks like it could very well have been taken in 1917 on the Chemin des Dames.

matrixschmatrix

#1123 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:53 am

I don't really think that's an apt description- I think the meat of the movie is more about the insane callousness of those in charge of war, and the meaninglessness of personal bravery and honor in the face of that inhumanity, and the inhumanity of war itself- resolved only by the shared humanity of the actual soldiers at the end. I'm not really sure there's a way to capture that in an image, but the official cover's image of dirty suffering feels more like something from a very different kind of movie, one about personal degradation and deprivation during combat.

The mock heroic cartoon is appropriate in a cruelly ironic way; it sets up a misleading idea of what the movie is about, but it's a misapprehension shared by the characters within the movie. The first cover Doinel posted gets across a sense the futility of combat and the human core of the soldiers. Someone posted a fake a while ago, showing the men at the shooting range- which sort of gives the game away, but obviously (if bluntly) expresses the movie. One I haven't seen and would sort of like would be a shot of the filthy Kirk, obviously a soldier and a frontline man, looking infuriated at his smug superiors, which I see as sort of the central conflict.

Of course, that lends itself to misinterpretation as the stupid Dirty Harry kind of hatred for men behind desks, but shit, I'm not an artist.

poultryinmotion

#1124 Post by poultryinmotion » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 pm

I hear what you're saying about Paths of Glory being more about "lions being led by donkeys", I just think that the cover conceptualizes that theme. To each there own, but I certainly see betrayal (and many other emotions) written across Douglas's face.

oldsheperd

#1125 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 pm

So where is Swimminghorses with the fake Head cover?