FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
MichaelStockCA

Re: Filmstruck

#1201 Post by MichaelStockCA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:12 pm

ranaing83 wrote:Are you referring to the leaving soon subsection on the Filmstruck and Criterion Collection pages? Or is there also a way to sort the entire Filmstruck library by the date that each title leaves? I see the former but not the latter and if it exists, that'd be quite helpful!
They have a specific page https://www.filmstruck.com/us/coming-soon. It lists recently added films and the films that are leaving. The latter list is sorted by date and updated weekly. I wonder why the new films section is alphabetically. Who wants to scroll through the whole list to find out what has been added.

ranaing83

#1202 Post by ranaing83 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Ah, I see. Yes, I'm familiar with that page. I remember that there used to be the ability on the browse all page to sort titles by when they were added to Filmstruck/Criterion. I wish they would bring that back too.

OldBobbyPeru

#1203 Post by OldBobbyPeru » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:59 pm

ranaing83 wrote:Ah, I see. Yes, I'm familiar with that page. I remember that there used to be the ability on the browse all page to sort titles by when they were added to Filmstruck/Criterion. I wish they would bring that back too.
That page isn't always complete. For example, there are a ton of samurai movies expiring on 3/16 that aren't listed on that page. Tol further confuse things, sometimes a movie that 'expires' lives on in the Criterion Channel, meaning it expires only for people who have just the basic Filmstruck subscription.

This is interesting, though. I found it on reddit. Filmstruck's entire library sortable by expiration or addition:

https://www.reddit.com/r/filmstruck/com ... rtable_by/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ranaing83

#1204 Post by ranaing83 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:35 pm

Hugely helpful. Thank you!

MichaelStockCA

#1205 Post by MichaelStockCA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:59 pm

The Cassavetes Edition is now up on Criterion Channel. But it's missing the Kiselyak documentary A Constant Forge (at least I can't find it) as promised in the CriterionCast https://criterioncast.com/news/all-of-t ... this-march. Hope this is just an oversight and it will be added.

albucat

#1206 Post by albucat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:07 pm

I'd rather have it than not, but it's not a huge loss.

movielocke

Filmstruck

#1207 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:47 pm

MichaelStockCA wrote:The Cassavetes Edition is now up on Criterion Channel. But it's missing the Kiselyak documentary A Constant Forge (at least I can't find it) as promised in the CriterionCast https://criterioncast.com/news/all-of-t ... this-march. Hope this is just an oversight and it will be added.
Did you check the supplements on each of the feature films? For example ingmar Bergman makes a movie is available as a supplement on winter light, but unlike the demy set, does not have its own entry / page

MichaelStockCA

#1208 Post by MichaelStockCA » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm

movielocke wrote:
MichaelStockCA wrote:The Cassavetes Edition is now up on Criterion Channel. But it's missing the Kiselyak documentary A Constant Forge (at least I can't find it) as promised in the CriterionCast https://criterioncast.com/news/all-of-t ... this-march. Hope this is just an oversight and it will be added.
Did you check the supplements on each of the feature films? For example ingmar Bergman makes a movie is available as a supplement on winter light, but unlike the demy set, does not have its own entry / page
Yes, I did. And I did it again just now in case they added it later. Still not there. I'll contact them to find out if there are some licensing issues or if they just forgot.

Oxidized

#1209 Post by Oxidized » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:45 am

It took them a week to get the roadshow edition and the audio commentary for It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World up, so this is S.O.P.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1210 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 pm

LQ and I just got a Fire TV Stick and signed up for Filmstruck (under the educator discount - worked seamlessly!) so, you're welcome for it being available on Xbox in a few days

unclehulot

Filmstruck

#1211 Post by unclehulot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:31 am

I’m all for the “all you can eat buffet” style of many of the Filmstruck thematic drops....it’s great if it’s HD, but if SD is all there is, I’d rather see it than not, but surely there’s some material out there for “The Walls of Malapaga” that is watchable? I saw it on the Bravo channel (back in the 80s) and thought it was decent looking. FilmStruck’s is not watchable it’s so blown out...theere’s really is no contrast at all. A shame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oxidized

#1212 Post by Oxidized » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:17 pm

If anyone was hoping to watch eight of the Jean Painlevé films just added with their Yo La Tengo scores, per the Criterioncast announcement, uh, never mind. When those films went up yesterday without the YLT scores, I told the help desk about it, they said "the scores are there," I responded "check again, because the scores are not there."

So a few minutes ago I got this: "Thank you very much for getting back to me with that information. I apologize for my erroneous information previously. I looked into each of those films and realized you were absolutely correct, none were scored by Yo La Tengo. I then escalated this to our internal team so that they could correct the situation.
Unfortunately, FilmStruck does not have the rights to the Yo La Tengo score. The information stating that we had the eight-film score was inaccurate and has since been removed from our site."

sadtrombone.wav, I guess.

Magic Hate Ball

#1213 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:37 am

Offbeat question: does anyone know what the hand holding the stopwatch that's used as the filler image for every trailer is from?

Werewolf by Night

#1214 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:46 am

Magic Hate Ball wrote:Offbeat question: does anyone know what the hand holding the stopwatch that's used as the filler image for every trailer is from?

Wild Strawberries, no? The dream sequence?

FrauBlucher

#1215 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:56 am

Criterion just tweeted Who's that Knocking on My Door is streaming.

albucat

#1216 Post by albucat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel during April:

April 1
In a Lonely Place, Nicholas Ray, 1950

April 3
Monkey Love Experiments, Will Anderson and Ainslie Henderson, 2014

April 4
Metropolitan, Whit Stillman, 1990

April 9
The Summer of Flying Fish, Marcela Said, 2013

April 17
Casus belli, Yorgos Zois, 2010

My sense is that most of what they actually own (the Janus library) is there so at this point there isn't much else to add.

Ribs

#1217 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:08 pm

That still seems pretty low, but seeing as they've substantially increased the amount of content being added to the Filmstruck side each week I don't really mind.

movielocke

#1218 Post by movielocke » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:28 pm

The gospel according to st Matthew and several other Pasolini films like teorama, porcile, accattone and a doc he co directed got added on the FilmStruck side. The former looks terrible but I’ve wanted to see it for ages, reminds me of watching vhs and Ld subtitled films there’s enough damage, artifacting, typos and washing out of the subtitles to bring back memories of the bad old days

headacheboy

#1219 Post by headacheboy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:38 pm

Magic Hate Ball wrote:Offbeat question: does anyone know what the hand holding the stopwatch that's used as the filler image for every trailer is from?

It comes from Safety Last. It appears at the 9 minute 17 second mark. (I just happened to be watching that today when I saw the stop watch and thought, where have I recently seen that?)

movielocke

#1220 Post by movielocke » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:52 pm

a constant forge is on FilmStruck now. It’s available as a special feature on the cassavetes collections page so since it’s a special feature it isn’t searchable.

To find it go to the collections—> cassavetes and it should be with the five films on the splash page for the cassavetes collection

It may just be me, but the volume on a constant forge is about 1/5 the normal volume level of other films on FilmStruck.

headacheboy

#1221 Post by headacheboy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:24 pm

movielocke wrote:The gospel according to st Matthew and several other Pasolini films like teorama, porcile, accattone and a doc he co directed got added on the FilmStruck side. The former looks terrible but I’ve wanted to see it for ages, reminds me of watching vhs and Ld subtitled films there’s enough damage, artifacting, typos and washing out of the subtitles to bring back memories of the bad old days
The documentary is La Rabbia and while Filmstruck has the running time listed as 50 minutes, the entire 105 minute film is there. Giovannino Guareschi directed the second half of the film. And has anyone seen that film? The final ten minutes includes a scene that I'll never forget as long as I live, no matter how badly I don't want to see it.
SpoilerShow
In an effort to tell us how horrible communists are, we witness a scientific experiment in which scientists/doctors have grafted a small dog's head and it's two front legs onto the upper body of a German Shepherd. Both animals are alive and the smaller dog is attempting to scurry away but it can't. It's appalling, but I made certain Mrs headacheboy saw it, so I could verify I was actually seeing this.

MichaelStockCA

#1222 Post by MichaelStockCA » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am

movielocke wrote:
a constant forge is on FilmStruck now. It’s available as a special feature on the cassavetes collections page so since it’s a special feature it isn’t searchable.

To find it go to the collections—> cassavetes and it should be with the five films on the splash page for the cassavetes collection

It may just be me, but the volume on a constant forge is about 1/5 the normal volume level of other films on FilmStruck.
Thanks for letting me know (though I found out last week :wink: ) I'm halfway through and it is quite interesting. Yes, there is a sound level issue.

unclehulot

#1223 Post by unclehulot » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 am

Anyone else having an outage from FilmStruck tonight? Nothing working on any of my platforms for about an hour now.

movielocke

#1224 Post by movielocke » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:11 am

unclehulot wrote:Anyone else having an outage from FilmStruck tonight? Nothing working on any of my platforms for about an hour now.

Same for me.

MichaelStockCA

#1225 Post by MichaelStockCA » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 am

movielocke wrote:
unclehulot wrote:Anyone else having an outage from FilmStruck tonight? Nothing working on any of my platforms for about an hour now.

Same for me.
Here as well. Luckily, I had also movies lined up on Prime :D