FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
beamish13

Re: Streaming the Criterion Collection

#51 Post by beamish13 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Yes, I completed the survey. I don't recall it asking for much beyond demographic/household information, viewing habits and the kind of internet connection you have at home.

albucat

#52 Post by albucat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:25 pm

So I was just emailed with Filmstruck's beta invite. Right now, what's online is a lot of Criterion releases, and that's pretty much it. I haven't tested it out yet, but people might want to start checking to see if they were invited.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#53 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:28 pm

I was as well... can't check it out at work, but will definitely investigate further this evening.

Ribs

#54 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:28 pm

albucat wrote:So I was just emailed with Filmstruck's beta invite. Right now, what's online is a lot of Criterion releases, and that's pretty much it. I haven't tested it out yet, but people might want to start checking to see if they were invited.
I guess the obvious question is: Anything that's not on Hulu?

Werewolf by Night

#55 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:33 pm

albucat wrote:Right now, what's online is a lot of Criterion releases, and that's pretty much it.
There's some Kino stuff too.
Last edited by Werewolf by Night on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

souvenir

#56 Post by souvenir » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Ribs wrote:
albucat wrote:So I was just emailed with Filmstruck's beta invite. Right now, what's online is a lot of Criterion releases, and that's pretty much it. I haven't tested it out yet, but people might want to start checking to see if they were invited.
I guess the obvious question is: Anything that's not on Hulu?
Tom Jones, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Bienvenido Mr. Marshall!

Ribs

#57 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Hooray! I basically figured given Criterion's given up on Hulu for the past two years there's bound to be some directors whose catalogs they've picked up since then and it seems pretty likely Tony Richardson & Luis Garcia Berlanga are among them. Wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of Haneke's or Almodovar's too.

Ribs

#58 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Truffaut's Les Mistons and RJ Cutler's A Perfect Candidate are both available, though in the latter there's no Criterion branding.

Werewolf by Night

#59 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Participants of the private beta are expected to keep mum, so I'll keep mum for now lest they ban me. The rest of you lunks can go ahead and get banned!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#60 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:02 pm

No invite here despite entering my e-mail for updates. Humbug.

Ribs

#61 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:12 pm

Also Lea Pool's Set Me Free and Luis Puenzo's The Official Story. Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala too but we knew that was coming. Dunno if it indicates anything regarding possibly upgrades but also Big Deal on Madonna Street is available which has never been on Hulu.

There's no bonus features on any of these but there's some TCM-style 2 minute intros with Alicia Malone.

vidussoni

#62 Post by vidussoni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Ribs wrote:Also Lea Pool's Set Me Free and Luis Puenzo's The Official Story. Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala too but we knew that was coming. Dunno if it indicates anything regarding possibly upgrades but also Big Deal on Madonna Street is available which has never been on Hulu.

There's no bonus features on any of these but there's some TCM-style 2 minute intros with Alicia Malone.
Is there a Criterion branding with Dersu Uzala? MisterLime said Kino had that one :-k

Thrilled about SNaSM - my favorite kitchen sink drama.

Minkin

#63 Post by Minkin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:27 pm

I've been sent a few PMs from people who got the beta (it doesn't look like I received one). Based on this info, the following are definitely with Criterion/Janus:

TOM JONES (1963)
BIENVENIDO MR. MARSHALL! (1952)
DERSU UZALA (1975)
MEANTIME (1984)
LA POISON (1951)
THE OFFICIAL STORY (1985)
SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING (1960)
HIGH HOPES (1988)
ROBINSON CRUSOE (1954)
---------------------------------------------

Apparently these are also on there, but they weren't sure whether they were with Kino or who (obviously Faust / the Engel films are with Kino -as those dvds are still in print). If someone could double check or let me know one way or the other, that would be wonderful.

A PERFECT CANDIDATE (1996) = ??

FAUST (1926)
MORRIS ENGEL: THE INDEPENDENT (2008)
RUTH ORKIN: FRAMES OF LIFE (1996)
THE LITTLE FUGITIVE (1953)
LOVERS AND LOLLIPOPS (1956)
WEDDINGS AND BABIES (1958)
---------------------------------------------------

If anybody doesn't want to risk their account by posting things here and instead prefer to send me a message - please do so - so that I can keep the Forthcoming page updated. I will try to stay on top of things - but do realize that other companies are partnering alongside Criterion in this venture -so just being on Filmstruck doesn't 100% guarantee it is with Criterion/Janus. Also for some of you, be sure to check the forthcoming page - as many are already listed in the Hulu section, thus are not news (Lea Pool's Set Me Free has been on Hulu for ages - under the title Emporte-Moi).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#64 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Kino already put the Little Fugitive out on Blu-Ray, I doubt it's somehow with Criterion now

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#65 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Faust also out from Kino on blu, not just DVD.

Minkin

#66 Post by Minkin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:51 pm

I figured as much about the Engel films + Faust (somebody just told me that it starts with the Kino intro - but the others don't). They also double checked and the Criterion titles I listed all either have the Janus/Criterion logo when you play the film - or the coverart for the page includes Criterion branding - so there's no question about those films.

Still don't have any word either way about The Perfect Candidate.

Most of these were already known /speculated - Dersu Uzala was confirmed at a screening about restoration (a mystery film they were working on). High Hopes was teased (with Leigh in the booth doing work on it) quite a while ago. Tom Jones was one of the Mister Lime MGM titles that he listed as possibly with Criterion (the first actual Criterion confirmation from that list).

Im surprised by the Argentine / Spanish films. I wonder if Criterion has a new deal or something (thus the recent announcement of The Executioner). Also surprised that Bunuel's Robinson Crusoe finally turned up.

Someone also mentioned that stills from some films are shown on the homepage or on various parts of the website -but they couldn't identify them. Could someone perhaps look into this more?

Ribs

#67 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:07 pm

FWIW, Dersu Uzala does not have Criterion branding on its image, but given it's been confirmed it could well be an oversight. Same for Perfect Candidate. The site doesn't clearly organize Criterion from everything else; the poster art on the Criterion titles have the usual "The Criterion Collection" and the year in the corner, but that seems like such a minor thing it's not out of the question for them to have missed it on some titles.

The introductions are very oddly sparse though I suppose there's an okay chance they'll record new batches with the weekly "themes" or what have you; I love TCM's intros because I do genuinely think just having the 90 seconds of context before you go in can really help shape a movie and I think this is a great idea.

Really my biggest concern is the complete lack of any TCM content - where is the Turner library? Where is the channel itself? I'd think bundling in a Live HD stream to be a relatively easy commitment. Also, though they are going to be testing for Xbox and PS4 according to some of the feedback pages, right now the site only lists the supported devices as "Computer / TV / Phone / Fire TV / Apple TV" and it implies there's a capacity to lock out titles from certain venues (so like they could have a rights holder lock something to not be available on mobile devices).

If Criterion *does* have Perfect Candidate, could it somehow be combined with a release for Weiner? I know the former's supposed to be very good but it's very obscure and it would seem a very good supplement for the more recent film which I'm not sure easily informs supplements otherwise. Kind of a Insane Political Campaigns Double Feature?

albucat

#68 Post by albucat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:57 am

Aside from the HD part streaming is already available from watchtcm (which has claimed it will add HD since its inception and sure hasn't). This is just enough movies for them to test things out. I'd assume that more special features, etc. will be added in the long run. This isn't the service, this is a test of the service, and I feel like that distinction should be pretty obvious. We don't know how much content will ultimately be on there, how it will be rotated, etc. This is more about site UI than anything else. Keep in mind we're months out from release here. I've run site betas before, and the fact that things work so well this early (I've ran into a few bugs, but nothing killer) is a good sign.

I do really hope that it gets running on other platforms, too. I couldn't give two craps whether I can get it on an ipad or iphone or whatever, but I use my ps3 for streaming constantly. My guess is that it will launch with only those platforms, and then have a slow rollout onto other ones.

Werewolf by Night

#69 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:02 pm

albucat wrote:Aside from the HD part streaming is already available from watchtcm...
But several problems with that as an only option, including: necessity of having a cable subscription to authenticate, no support for Chromecast or other TV-connected devices, very limited time frame in which movies are available to watch, and so on.

big ticket

#70 Post by big ticket » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:56 pm

In terms of UI, the beta seems quite buggy early on, but I'm thrilled that the proverbial ball is rolling on the site.

albucat

#71 Post by albucat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Yes, but that presupposes Filmstruck means to completely replace TCM, which sounds like what you're kind of asking for. TCM gets its fantastic selection by having those limitations. They're aware that classic movie lovers want something else, too, thus Filmstruck, but the idea that all they mean to do is put their selection into on-demand is kind of crazy. TCM still exists and provides its service. Filmstruck will provide a different one. The audiences overlap, but they're not going to be identical (nor should they be).

MongooseCmr

#72 Post by MongooseCmr » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:27 pm

My impression from the initial press release touting TCM's "curatorial skills" (paraphrasing) is that there will only be a limited rotating selection of TCM films on Filmstruck at any time, just like on their channel/site. Is there anything else to hint at that?

RSTooley

#73 Post by RSTooley » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Unfortunately, I was not sent an invitation to be involve with the beta testing. I'm literally heartbroken.

That being said, is there anything that we already know is in the collection that is streaming via Filmstruck but not on Hulu?

Noiradelic

#74 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:46 am

These:
Minkin wrote:I've been sent a few PMs from people who got the beta. Based on this info, the following are definitely with Criterion/Janus:

TOM JONES (1963)
BIENVENIDO MR. MARSHALL! (1952)
DERSU UZALA (1975)
MEANTIME (1984)
LA POISON (1951)
THE OFFICIAL STORY (1985)
SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING (1960)
HIGH HOPES (1988)
ROBINSON CRUSOE (1954)

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#75 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:25 am

Because it was sort of a big deal when Filmstruck was first announced, and nobody's mentioned it since the beta release, did Mad Max make it into the service?