How Now Brown Blu-rays

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
rrenault

Re: How Now Brown Blu-rays

#476 Post by rrenault » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 am

Has anyone actually encountered playback issues with Andrei Rublev or any of the other Mexico-pressed releases? I have Andrei Rublev but my copy is still in shrink wrap.

zackm72

#477 Post by zackm72 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:46 am

I thought this might be helpful or ar least good to catalog. I emailed Criterion because I bought a used copy of M which I didn't know had disc rot and I wanted to get it replaced. This is the email I got back, with both the primary list of known/acknowledged blu-rays and a secondary list of acknowledged titles. I'll now also be sending in Wings of Desire, Gomorrah, and Bigger Than Life. Had I not gotten this list, I wouldn't have checked the latter 3 films.

"We have confirmed that certain Blu-ray discs pressed at a replication facility that we used for a period in 2010 have become defective, showing a noticeable bronze discoloration on the underside and developing playback problems.

We have confirmed the problem on ten titles, but not on all copies of these titles. All of these titles have since been re-pressed at a different pressing plant, and the vast majority of discs in circulation should not be affected.

The confirmed potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:

SUMMER HOURS
WALKABOUT
PARIS, TEXAS
M
THE SEVENTH SEAL
PIERROT LE FOU
HOWARDS END
MONSOON WEDDING
MONTEREY POP
RIDE WITH THE DEVIL

In addition to the confirmed list, please review any copies of the following you may have in your collection:

Gomorrah
Wings of Desire
Vivre Sa Vie
8 1/2
A Christmas Tale
Days of Heaven
In the Realm of the Senses
Kagemusha
Lola Montes
Stagecoach
Paths of Glory
Bigger Than Life
Revanche

These titles seem to have less discs that were affected. Not all runs of these discs were affected with the disc rot. The best way to tell if your disc from the list is defective is by looking on the underside of the disc (the shiny side) and if you see the letters 'BVDL' your disc will be fine. If you don't see those letters you should send in your disc.

If you have found that your Blu-ray copy of one of these titles does not play, please send your disc in to the following address for a replacement:

The Criterion Collection
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Avenue South
5th floor
New York, NY 10003

Please include only your discs -- no packaging from the titles -- along with your address and a note indicating that you've received a replacement.

If you decide not to send in a disc that is playing fine and it starts to show signs of the defect at a later date, we will be happy to exchange your disc at that time. If we learn that other titles are similarly defective, we will add them to the list and continue to replace them as well (excluding discs that are out of print that aren't listed above)."

The Pachyderminator

#478 Post by The Pachyderminator » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Ah, that explains the problem with my Stagecoach disc. The letters BVDL are indeed missing in addition to a bronze tint. My copies of Days of Heaven and Paths of Glory are still fine though.

What's the significance of those letters? Do they indicate a particular pressing facility other than the problematic one, or are they put on all the discs in such a way that they disappear when the disc starts to decay?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#479 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm

I believe they do indicate the pressing plant