Collecting Criterion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Collecting Criterion

#51 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:52 pm

You fool, you named That Site Which Shall Not Be Named?!

rrenault

#52 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 pm

domino harvey wrote:You fool, you named That Site Which Shall Not Be Named?!
Well sometimes it's the only option like with several Philippe Garrel titles.

rrenault

#53 Post by rrenault » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:09 am

I'm curious, has anyone's refusal to lend out their Criterions ever cost them a friendship?

Also, does the kevyip include films you'd seen when you bought them, even if you have yet to watch your personal copy from start to finish?

Charles

#54 Post by Charles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:21 pm

As of yet, only one person in this fine thread has uploaded a picture of their shelves. More, please!

(Okay, I'd follow my own advice, but even with nearly 400 CCs, a glance at my shelves wouldn't mean anything, as I mix CCs with (gasp!) everything else, and the collection is grouped into any number of categories which make sense to me, and me alone.)

As for the collection, I'm not a completist, at least in the overall sense. For me it's all about the movie. I'm nevertheless passionate about CCs and really would love a peek at some of the serious or even the not-so-serious collections here.

Moe Dickstein

#55 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:23 pm

I'll do a picture of my shelves after the end of the CC sale when I get as close to complete as I'm going to for a while. Down to 27 spines to go.

cpetrizzi

Re: Criterion Blu-ray

#56 Post by cpetrizzi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:01 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:
rrenault wrote:
swo17 wrote:Even if it was a used copy, they'll sell you a booklet for $5 a pop (including shipping).
Maybe not if it's OOP though.
I might go that route, when I have everything just send out one request to save on the shipping. The one OOP thing that I can't get that I want badly is an Amaray case for my Third Man Blu, I've replaced EVERY SINGLE other digipak with the Amaray but not that one.

Maybe I can find someone that only has the Amaray and wants the digipak and do an even swap lol
Are you talking about the digipak cardboard containers like Repo Man and Shoah? I don't like this type of packaging, but was curious as to how many others do this case transfer. Do you get the hard cases that hold multiple discs for supplements and such? Where do you get the cases from, CC?

I've posted this under the Cabiria thread, but because we're on the topic of cases, 'll ask it here, also. I finally got a used copy of Cabiria but to my amazement the case is NOT the black Amaray one. It's a completely CLEAR Amaray case which I've never seen before! Initially I thought it was a new Scanavo case, but after I popped the disc out (same yin/yang button as Amaray), it has Amaray imprinted underneath the disc. Has anyone ever seen a clear Amaray case? It's kind of cool, but it's now different than any other case from the early spines.

cpetrizzi

#57 Post by cpetrizzi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:18 am

rrenault wrote:I'm curious, has anyone's refusal to lend out their Criterions ever cost them a friendship?
I loaned out my Brazil box-set and a few common spines to a not-so-close friend a long time ago and never got them back. At first I was furious, dumbfounded, and asked myself: how could anyone be so insensitive!! But after a few years I realized that some people are just like that. It's not as if he was the most evil person on the planet; he's just a bit aloof, carefree, and always responded, yeah, I have those somewhere....

So I decided to let it go, viewed it as a gift instead of a loan, and moved on. Life's way too short, so last year I replaced them. Honestly, I'm not even mad anymore (after 10 years, haha).

The only person I let have them now is my mother, because, well, she's my mom.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#58 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 am

cpetrizzi wrote:I've posted this under the Cabiria thread, but because we're on the topic of cases, 'll ask it here, also. I finally got a used copy of Cabiria but to my amazement the case is NOT the black Amaray one. It's a completely CLEAR Amaray case which I've never seen before! Initially I thought it was a new Scanavo case, but after I popped the disc out (same yin/yang button as Amaray), it has Amaray imprinted underneath the disc. Has anyone ever seen a clear Amaray case? It's kind of cool, but it's now different than any other case from the early spines.
Yeah, they exist. Since it's used somebody probably just replaced a damaged case with whatever they had lying around. Cabiria was released in a black Amaray case.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#59 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:09 am

cpetrizzi wrote:Are you talking about the digipak cardboard containers like Repo Man and Shoah?
No, he's talking about the first 8 or so Criterion Blu-ray releases that originally came in O-sleeve digipaks (like the first pictures here). You can purchase plastic Amaray replacements for these releases here.

The digipaks that have come out since are generally sturdier and only have one opening instead of two, meaning that the package is able to retain its box shape. There are no plastic case replacements for any of these releases.

rrenault

#60 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:48 am

Why did they stop selling the jewel cases for The Third Man and Last Year at Marienbad? They still have cases for The Man Who Fell to Earth. I didn't think they lost the rights to sell the case or even the booklet for that matter, but just the disc itself.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#61 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am

They don't manufacture any new replacement packaging (plastic cases or otherwise) for titles that have gone OOP. Once those MWFTE cases run out, they'll be gone for good.

cpetrizzi

#62 Post by cpetrizzi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:40 pm

swo17 wrote:
cpetrizzi wrote:Are you talking about the digipak cardboard containers like Repo Man and Shoah?
No, he's talking about the first 8 or so Criterion Blu-ray releases that originally came in O-sleeve digipaks (like the first pictures here). You can purchase plastic Amaray replacements for these releases here.

The digipaks that have come out since are generally sturdier and only have one opening instead of two, meaning that the package is able to retain its box shape. There are no plastic case replacements for any of these releases.
Thank you for the clarification; it explains a lot! I must have missed the original release as I only have the plastic cases for those blu-rays.

Moe Dickstein

#63 Post by Moe Dickstein » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Yeah I got lucky on Marienbad, literally was gone from the site the day after I placed my order. One day I'll get the Third Man case...

Black Hat

#64 Post by Black Hat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:46 am

How/where can can you get booklets from? I can't seem to find my one for Diary of A Country Priest.

dadaistnun

#65 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:09 am

I wrote to mulvaney@criterion.com when my Juliet of the Spirits was missing a booklet. They sent it free of charge, though this was six or seven years ago.

dwk

#66 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Since Diary of A Country Priest is OOP, you might be out of luck trying to get a replacement booklet.

knives

#67 Post by knives » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

They can legally still reproduce the booklet.

rrenault

#68 Post by rrenault » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 pm

The thing I hate about a Criterion going OOP even if you already own it is the ephemeral quality your personal copy takes on, since it comes with a whole new set of responsibilities.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#69 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 pm

The thing I hate is gauging how much I like a film against how much money it's worth. I sold my copy of The Man Who Fell to Earth and picked up the UK Blu-ray, and while I miss having the Criterion, I had a use for $100+ at the time and feel like I made the smart decision. Same went for Playtime and The Third Man. Whereas if they were still in print, the Criterions would still be on my shelf.

rrenault

#70 Post by rrenault » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:04 pm

mfunk: I'm assuming those films you listed aren't necessarily personal favorites. I don't know if I could part with my Pierrot Le Fou or Last Year at Marienbad Criterion blu-rays, no matter the financial dire straits. In any case, I think I'd pawn one of my nice watches I received as gifts before selling off one of my OOP Criterions. I know that sounds pathetic, but it's true.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#71 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:07 pm

They're not, you're right. I don't know that (nearly unreadable subtitles aside), my wife and I could part with Pierrot Le Fou in exchange for the StudioCanal. And I'm never getting rid of Straw Dogs, the commentary is too good.

rrenault

#72 Post by rrenault » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:10 pm

I sold off Peeping Tom, Ran, and Touchez Pas au Grisbi a while back, although the last of those three I kind of wish I still had. I didn't see it for the first time until AFTER I sold off my copy!! But I'm hoping Studio Canal might put out a blu-ray here in France that'll surely make up for the loss. They've already released Casque d'or on blu-ray for the French market, so why not Grisbi. I also own A Woman is a Woman, which isn't a favorite of mine, but Godard is a filmmaker whose films on principle I don't remove from my collection.

By the way, would people say it's worth "trading in" the Criterion release of Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie for the blu-ray released in the UK? I notice the blu-ray release doesn't have that 90 minute documentary on Bunuel's life.
Last edited by rrenault on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#73 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 pm

knives wrote:They can legally still reproduce the booklet.
But they don't. If they have some extra copies left, they will replace it, but I doubt if they have any left.

neal

#74 Post by neal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:20 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:The thing I hate is gauging how much I like a film against how much money it's worth. I sold my copy of The Man Who Fell to Earth and picked up the UK Blu-ray, and while I miss having the Criterion, I had a use for $100+ at the time and feel like I made the smart decision. Same went for Playtime and The Third Man. Whereas if they were still in print, the Criterions would still be on my shelf.
Yeah. I couldn't in good conscience hang on to an as yet unopened/unwatched copy of Tokyo Olympiad when I could sell it for $199.99. Finding a copy at a nearby library that I could watch certainly eased the pain as I wasn't thinking "oh, but now I'll never be able to actually see this film!"

Moe Dickstein

#75 Post by Moe Dickstein » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

That's one good thing about going for the complete set, all ambiguity about what to do in those cases is gone, you simply get a copy of everything and keep it, simple lol