Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
captveg

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2126 Post by captveg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:Mabuse box set
Would this be for all of the following?

Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler (1922)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)
The 1,000 Eyes of Dr. Mabuse (1960)

Cinephrenic

#2127 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:11 pm

What's is with the lack of Eclipse?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2128 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:41 pm

captveg wrote:

Kino's Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler DVD is still in print. So I don't know that this is possible.

knives

#2129 Post by knives » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:43 pm

It would be nice to see some of the post-Lang Mabuse films released though.

triodelover

#2130 Post by triodelover » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Drucker wrote:
captveg wrote:

Kino's Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler DVD is still in print. So I don't know that this is possible.
Unless the Blu-ray rights aren't owned by Kino and are available.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#2131 Post by Brian C » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:03 pm

What I was really asking is if we knew of any concrete plans for Criterion to release more Lang. The answers here seem to indicate that we do not, but there are some possibilities if Criterion is so inclined. Do I have this correct?

TMDaines

#2132 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:10 pm

I think it has just gone all a bit Criterion's Facebook wall.

ianungstad

#2133 Post by ianungstad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Criterion licensed the Caidin titles from Westchester films.

HistoryProf

#2134 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 am

knives wrote:They had a pretty good one last month.
You're right...I forgot that Ballad of Narayama was also a $29.95 blu title. I'd be more than happy to have one a month like that in lieu of "loaded" editions rather than adding extras for the sake of extra content.
Last edited by HistoryProf on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2135 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 am

That's so sad to hear someone say - Criterion releases are always better when they're able to locate/curate good bonus features. Sure, it's nice to have the pricebreak when they can't, but I'd take good features over a very slightly lower price any day.

triodelover

#2136 Post by triodelover » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 pm

I think what HistoryProf is trying to say - and excuse me if I put words in your mouth, Prof - is that he would rather have a great transfer of a desirable film at the lowest price point than that same film with extras added (that don't add value for him) just to bump the MSRP up a level. I'm pretty sure all of us here could go through the Collection and identify discs we feel that way about. They will be different discs, of course. I think I could find several that have maybe 2-3 10-minute "interviews" that are little better than a talk show chat.

If Criterion were unable to find any supplemental material for Narayama that they felt added value for the customer, I'm glad to get the BD at this price point. It's a rather obscure film - the Imamura is far better known - by a director that likely is familiar by name to only aficionados of postwar Japanese cinema. Fill it with extras and bump it up $10 bucks and you're likely to reduce the number of blind buys. And the stylized, theatrical approach to the old tale is not likely to be everyone's cuppa.

HistoryProf

#2137 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 pm

triodelover wrote:I think what HistoryProf is trying to say - and excuse me if I put words in your mouth, Prof - is that he would rather have a great transfer of a desirable film at the lowest price point than that same film with extras added (that don't add value for him) just to bump the MSRP up a level. I'm pretty sure all of us here could go through the Collection and identify discs we feel that way about. They will be different discs, of course. I think I could find several that have maybe 2-3 10-minute "interviews" that are little better than a talk show chat.

If Criterion were unable to find any supplemental material for Narayama that they felt added value for the customer, I'm glad to get the BD at this price point. It's a rather obscure film - the Imamura is far better known - by a director that likely is familiar by name to only aficionados of postwar Japanese cinema. Fill it with extras and bump it up $10 bucks and you're likely to reduce the number of blind buys. And the stylized, theatrical approach to the old tale is not likely to be everyone's cuppa.
yeah...I just mean the practice of "extras for the sake of extras"...or "fluff" may be a better way of putting it. Thankfully Criterion doesn't do that too often, but it does happen. Of course if there are valuable extras to be had, by all means load it up!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2138 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:30 pm

You not liking an extra doesn't mean Criterion only included it on the disc so that they could charge you more for it.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2139 Post by cdnchris » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm sure many probably would have preferred a barebones Cul-de-sac release at a lower price.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2140 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:50 pm

That should've been at the lower price tier anyway, as Something Wild should've been. I will concede that it'd be nice if Criterion had a "less than an hour worth of bonus features = lower tier" rule of some kind. But still, I'd rather see something than nothing, even if it bumps up the price.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#2141 Post by cdnchris » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:19 pm

They used to follow that rule on DVD for the most part, though have basically abandoned it since Blu-ray.

colinr0380

#2142 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 pm

triodelover wrote:If Criterion were unable to find any supplemental material for Narayama that they felt added value for the customer, I'm glad to get the BD at this price point. It's a rather obscure film - the Imamura is far better known - by a director that likely is familiar by name to only aficionados of postwar Japanese cinema. Fill it with extras and bump it up $10 bucks and you're likely to reduce the number of blind buys. And the stylized, theatrical approach to the old tale is not likely to be everyone's cuppa.
I do agree with this but the opposite argument would be that releasing something relatively obscure should be the chance to contextualise and introduce a whole new film and director to an audience who would otherwise be unfamiliar with their work. An unparalleled opportunity to provide perhaps some of the longest pieces of writing or video discussions around the film. Which creates disappointment when an opportunity such as that is not taken, for whatever the reason.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2143 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:43 pm

See also: Criterion's incredibly loving treatment of Lonesome

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2144 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
triodelover wrote:If Criterion were unable to find any supplemental material for Narayama that they felt added value for the customer, I'm glad to get the BD at this price point. It's a rather obscure film - the Imamura is far better known - by a director that likely is familiar by name to only aficionados of postwar Japanese cinema. Fill it with extras and bump it up $10 bucks and you're likely to reduce the number of blind buys. And the stylized, theatrical approach to the old tale is not likely to be everyone's cuppa.
I do agree with this but the opposite argument would be that releasing something relatively obscure should be the chance to contextualise and introduce a whole new film and director to an audience who would otherwise be unfamiliar with their work. An unparalleled opportunity to provide perhaps some of the longest pieces of writing or video discussions around the film. Which creates disappointment when an opportunity such as that is not taken, for whatever the reason.
But often times, the essay included with the release helps contextualize and inform the film enough to give the viewer a bit of information on the director, film and even on other films. The essays that come with The Makioka Sisters and Three Outlaw Samurai are good examples of this.

I'm sure Criterion did research on these films and the possibilities of special features and didn't find anything of value. Anyway, I know it's a poor argument to bring this up, but in the pre-Blu-ray/Eclipse days, they would often release films without special features and just an essay at the regular price point. At least these will be cheaper and still with an essay (something Olive Films doesn't bother with).

Gregory

#2145 Post by Gregory » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:54 pm

I don't understand the dilemma of whether or not to bump the SRP by a $10 increment. DVD/Blu labels often price things in increments of 5, whereas book publishers use increments of 1. In the DVD days, it seemed like Criterion had found a workable $30 vs. $40 SRP price structure, generally based on whether they were including a commentary, but for their releases in recent years things have changed a lot and this rigid pricing makes less sense to me. Seems like a $35 SRP (and possibly some others) would make the most sense sometimes. Some may wonder if a $5 difference in SRP would really mean more sales, but I believe it really does. A 10% difference, or even less, can bring in a lot more sales, based on what I've seen.

triodelover

#2146 Post by triodelover » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:See also: Criterion's incredibly loving treatment of Lonesome
Yes, and there was obviously was a wealth of material available to make that package. It's rare we get a triple feature like that and I would have bought it at just about any price Criterion asked.

I am assuming in the case of Narayama there just wasn't enough English friendly material to flesh the package out to the $39.95 MSRP level. We are getting a booklet that includes an essay. The Tartan DVD (yes, I know it's Tartan) had nada.

As far as Ministry of Fear goes, it's hardly the top drawer of Lang's Hollywood efforts. (I'd reserve that drawer for his collaborations with Joan Bennett, especially the Robinsons.) I'm not sure if it weren't for Ray Milland, the cake and the unfolding of the first 20 minutes or so it would even make the collection. And that's ignoring Mrs Riley in the female lead. The lower price (which will make it about $20 at on-line retailers) makes the BD worthwhile, particularity with an on-disc interview and a booklet with an essay. Add that extra $7-10 and it gets a pass.

ryannichols7

#2147 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm

HistoryProf wrote:
knives wrote:They had a pretty good one last month.
You're right...I forgot that Ballad of Narayama was also a $29.95 blu title. I'd be more than happy to have one a month like that in lieu of "loaded" editions rather than adding extras for the sake of extra content.
Criterion isn't Olive, though.

we complain about too little extras and now complain about too much? come on, people.

triodelover

#2148 Post by triodelover » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:40 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:we complain about too little extras and now complain about too much? come on, people.
Except no one is complaining about too much. All that's been said is that it's occasionally nice on the pocketbook when Criterion offers films at the lower price point when there aren't sufficient relevant English-friendly extras to justify a price bump. Neither of films under discussion are being offered bare bones.

duck duck

#2149 Post by duck duck » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:04 am

So, New years drawing... Any guesses on how they will hint at Y Tu Mamá También? I think the only option left may be having some one screaming it in a "word bubble".

ryannichols7

#2150 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:24 am

duck duck wrote:So, New years drawing... Any guesses on how they will hint at Y Tu Mamá También? I think the only option left may be having some one screaming it in a "word bubble".
probably some depiction of Gravity holding the word bubble down

i'm sure that despite the fact we know Repo Man is coming, they'll hint at that pretty heavily in the drawing

three drawings of Apu would be pretty great, though