Before the Revolution

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
souvenir

Before the Revolution

#1 Post by souvenir » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:46 am

Before the Revolution

An article about Bernardo Bertolucci in USA Today concludes with:
And Criterion is restoring another of his films, Before the Revolution (1964). At 64, he jokes, "I wish they could restore the directors."

Gregory

#2 Post by Gregory » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:47 pm

Utterly fabulous news, but I take it they're not using the term "restoration" strictly.
I was not expecting this because New Yorker released the VHS, but I suppose New Yorker do lose the rights to some of their films.

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:17 pm

This is one of my top 20 favorite films of all-time (and my third favorite of the Maestro's). I must say though that the current edition from Italy is about as magnificent as anybody could hope for...the transfer is one of the best I've seen from any film of the era, the 5.1 sound is superb, the extras are incredible (an hour interview with Bernardo, interviews with the cast, Morricone, even Storaro, an old featurette on indie Italian filmmaking of the period, and a lot more). But the news that one of Bertolucci's best films is finally arriving on R1 is just wonderful. Now everybody can see it, and I know that there are many who would adore it.

Like Gregory, I definitely wasn't expecting this (didn't New Yorker say themselves that this wasn't going to be licensed or anything?)...maybe then we can expect "The Spider's Stratagem" from Criterion?

But the one film of his that needs a DVD release the most is "The Conformist." If a 2005 release for that isn't possible that we must force Paramount to do it.

Oh...and Bertolucci is just the most amazing speaker in the world...

"(filmmaking is) a kind of writing. I wanted the writing to be sensual. I wanted the camera to love the character, to almost to touch them, to have a sensual relationship with the character." That establishes "a sensual relationship with the audience."

That's simply gorgeous...

Dylan

Cinephrenic

#4 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:17 pm

It's seems almost like Paramount releases 10 films a year, mostly being television. I really wish they stop sitting on his two films (Conformist, 1900), in which most of us would finally want to see on DVD.

I'm happy to see Before the Revolution get a treatment. I love this film. I didn't expect Criterion to be putting this out. I thought New Yorker still owned the rights. Can we hope to see The Spider's Stratagem from them as well if so?

Anyone plan to send them an email to see if they still own the rights?

solent

#5 Post by solent » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:58 am

Fingers crossed. I'd like to say it's my favourite Bertolucci film but I can't as long as I keep watching LAST TANGO IN PARIS (his masterpiece IMHO). It is a masterpiece in its own right and that is no mean feat for a young director's second feature.

Gordon

#6 Post by Gordon » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:44 pm

New Yorker, apparently, no longer own the rights to Melville's, Le Samourai, as well...

Before the Revolution is a fine film. I'm glad Criterion are releasing it.

Paramount really ought to get a move-on with The Conformist and 1900 - two of the most-requested foreign films for SE DVD release. Just out of interest, how many foreign-language films have Paramount released?

FilmFanSea

#7 Post by FilmFanSea » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:40 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote: Just out of interest, how many foreign-language films have Paramount released?
According to both The Laser's Edge and DVD Planet, fewer than 10--only one of which (Once Upon a Time in the West was theatrically released before the year 2000.

Jun-Dai
監督

#8 Post by Jun-Dai » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:31 pm

We should bombard them with requests to license their films to Criterion. I'll begin writing them a letter.

jonjao

#9 Post by jonjao » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:15 pm

Exciting news. I too have the Italian DVD, which is anamorphic and has great extras, but I was a little disappointed with the transfer (at least as it appears on my widescreen TV). I'm sure the Criterion transfer will be gorgeous. Although the film has its dated qualities, I think it's one of Bertolucci's 2 or 3 best, and includes some stunning, rapturous sequences. I don't know of any film director (maybe Ophuls?) who moves the camera as magically as he does.

kschell

#10 Post by kschell » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:03 pm

Gregory wrote:Utterly fabulous news, but I take it they're not using the term "restoration" strictly.
Well, it was USA Today

benm

#11 Post by benm » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:58 pm

the pacific cinematheque is showing a recent restoration of the conformist so i assume this means we can expect a DVD release of some kind in the near future.

kieslowski_67

#12 Post by kieslowski_67 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:43 pm

The Italian 2D9 of '1900' is mightily fine. Wondering whether the Paramount R2 release will be better.

However, if one single Bertolucci movie is to be released on DVD only, it has to be 'the conformist'. It is a crime that not a decent version of this absolute masterpiece is available on DVD. :x

filmfan

Before the Revolution

#13 Post by filmfan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:24 am

I see over at DVD Talk, they have a review of Bertolucci's "Before the Revolution", Region 2.

Any more details on this release ?

Dylan

#14 Post by Dylan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:05 pm

This is one of the five (or so) greatest DVDs I own. The film is simply one of the most beautiful ever made, the transfer is indeed gorgeous, and the extras (completely subtitled in English, as the reviewer indicates) are wonderfully extensive (nearly two hours alone of just Bertolucci, Storaro, and Morricone talking about the film and their careers, but we also have countless others, such as the actors and actresses, and other treats as well).Sample of DVD image quality. Criterion will reportedly release this film eventually, but this set will be hard to beat.

hellboytr

#15 Post by hellboytr » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:12 pm

This is one of the BEST dvds i own, i also fully recommend it :wink:

Cinesimilitude

#16 Post by Cinesimilitude » Tue May 02, 2006 10:08 pm

there is no way criterion will put out an inferior package, so I would imagine they are working on getting some amazing stuff together, and that's whay its been forthcoming for so long.

Dylan

#17 Post by Dylan » Tue May 02, 2006 11:01 pm

David, hope you enjoy the film and supplements of "Prima della rivoluzione," I love it.

After Luna (which I'm ordering from Xploited this week), the only Bertolucci film I'll need to see is Tragedy of a Ridiculous Man, the only one which remains completely obscure (thanks to the Brazil and German DVDs of "Luna") and it certainly sounds interesting (among other things, I look forward to seeing his work with DP Carlo Di Palma). How does the full screen VHS released by Warner fare (I really don't think we'll be seeing this one on DVD for a long time)?

I look forward to soon filling in the gap of Bertolucci's career from '76 and '87 (which I call his "obscure period" of two widely unseen works). Really can't wait to see the 'operatically flowing' camera work of "Luna" that people talk about.

And David, don't you mean the NoShame R1 of "Partner?" One of the best 2005 releases in my opinion.

Lino

#18 Post by Lino » Wed May 03, 2006 3:39 am

I once taped Tragedy(...) when I happened to be on a Bertolucci streak some years ago. It didn't impact me as one of his major works although it somehow complements La Luna in that in the former he goes after the father figure whilst in the latter, for the mother figure. However, La Luna is a much more ambitious work and much more daring in content - and better accomplished.

Tragedy(...) is also sort of an epilogue to 1900, again dealing with politics but this time around from the point of view of the patrone who used to be a common worker and is now a nouveau riche. Like I said, interesting but not essential Bertolucci.

Barmy

#19 Post by Barmy » Wed May 03, 2006 12:16 pm

Tragedy is the last great Bertolucci (although I kind of like Sheltering and Emperor). I particularly enjoy the comparatively low-key style. The cinematography is nice, but I wouldn't call it extraordinary.

Jeff

#20 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:47 pm

When dadaistnun pointed out the Eastman House's upcoming schedule in the Paramount thread, I was directed to their forthcoming screening of Before the Revolution. Besides the fact that EH will be showing a "recently preserved 35mm print" which may indicate that the Criterion disc is due soon, they will also be showing the BBC's 45-minute David Thompson documentary from 1995, Ennio Morricone and Before the Revolution, which sounds like it would make an excellent supplement.

Awesome Welles

#21 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:45 am

Great news Criterion are releasing this, I have the Italian disc which I'll be sticking with. I just can't help wishing it was The Spider's Strategem, there's a film I've been waiting ages to see!

Cold Bishop

#22 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:26 pm

FSimeoni wrote:I just can't help wishing it was The Spider's Strategem, there's a film I've been waiting ages to see!
Amen to that

rrenault

Re: Before the Revolution

#23 Post by rrenault » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:47 pm

So where's the criterion release of Before the Revolution. That restoration news came six years ago. This I would buy if they released it.

SpiderBaby

#24 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 pm

rrenault wrote:So where's the criterion release of Before the Revolution. That restoration news came six years ago. This I would buy if they released it.
^ I'll ask on Facebook and see if they reply.

rrenault

#25 Post by rrenault » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Is there even a legit Region 2 DVD release of this film accessible to an English speaker? MOC, BFI, anyone. Any decent treatment would satisfy me at this point, but I won't complain about a criterion release.